Smelly exhaust?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63, 560SL
Smelly exhaust?!?

Hey guys & Gals,

Thought I'd ask around if any of you have ever expirienced a problem that I am now having. In my C55 when I really push the car, accelerating and the like, I start to get a sulfur like smell out of the exhaust. It doesnt happen everytime but it happens enough to be annoying especially for those driving behind me...

The dealer says its normal for MB AMG's, and could be a sign of bad gas, I use only Mobil, BP, or Sunoco in my car.

The smell is like what I get out of my project car...that car has no Cat. Converters on it (yet) and when its started etc it has a very similiar smell.

Any help would be great!
Old 09-13-2004, 01:56 PM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by My_C55
when I really push the car, accelerating and the like, I start to get a sulfur like smell out of the exhaust. It doesnt happen everytime but it happens enough to be annoying especially for those driving behind me...

The dealer says its normal for MB AMG's, and could be a sign of bad gas, I use only Mobil, BP, or Sunoco in my car.
A couple of things could be happening:

1) the gas in your area tends to have high sulphur content

2) if the fuel mixture is rich, you can get the sulphur odor. Sometimes as the cats age, this will diminish.

Since you notice this after harder acceleration (and the fuel enrichment that takes place under those conditions), its probably the cats not being able to burn off the excess as quickly.

If you notice this happening under normal conditions, I'd watch this and talk to the service dept. about it. If a rich mixture persists, it will shorten the life of the cats by causing overheating.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:05 PM

The ones that move me
you may be getting bad exhaust smell from eating too many BMW's