2003 C32 amg Bank 1 misfire woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c32 amg
2003 C32 amg Bank 1 misfire woes

Rescue in process 2003 C32 amg. *update*

Installed fresh battery and ran diag. All systems reported fine and any codes active or stored were under voltage. Unable to communicate with rear sam or instrument cluster. Disconnected battery, replaced sam with good used c32 Sam. Radio signals lamps and misc features return, still nothing from instrument cluster. Change oil and filter, inspect plugs, fogging fluid and 5 gallons of premium. Turn the key 3 seconds and she fires but runs poorly. (Not started in 4 years) Residual oil burned valve covers and no smoke notes from exhaust. Ran diagnostic misfires for cyl 1-2-3. 4,5,6 ran great. Checked bank 1 for spark have it. Checked fuel rail for pressure and nada.

My question is, would there be any reason bank 2 would get fuel but bank 1 wouldn’t? If 1 of the pumps was bad could it lead to this issue? I am pretty certain the car ran on only 3 cylinders. Other considerations could be clogged cat? Or no compression 😭 Thoughts prayers appreciated!
Old 09-27-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Mmrmercedes
Rescue in process 2003 C32 amg. *update*

Installed fresh battery and ran diag. All systems reported fine and any codes active or stored were under voltage. Unable to communicate with rear sam or instrument cluster. Disconnected battery, replaced sam with good used c32 Sam. Radio signals lamps and misc features return, still nothing from instrument cluster. Change oil and filter, inspect plugs, fogging fluid and 5 gallons of premium. Turn the key 3 seconds and she fires but runs poorly. (Not started in 4 years) Residual oil burned valve covers and no smoke notes from exhaust. Ran diagnostic misfires for cyl 1-2-3. 4,5,6 ran great. Checked bank 1 for spark have it. Checked fuel rail for pressure and nada.

My question is, would there be any reason bank 2 would get fuel but bank 1 wouldn’t? If 1 of the pumps was bad could it lead to this issue? I am pretty certain the car ran on only 3 cylinders. Other considerations could be clogged cat? Or no compression 😭 Thoughts prayers appreciated!
If one pump is bad, you'd probably have no start and initially just misfires under load. Misfire on idle is probably not related to the fuel pump as the car is not under load and would probably cause random misfires all round, not just to one bank.

On the topic of fuel, maybe it's just bad fuel? You mentioned the car sat, how much was in the tank while it sat? 5 gallons of premium might not be enough if the rest is really bad old fuel.

Could also be clogged injectors? Or perhaps a bad fuel filter which also houses the fuel pressure regulator. Just throwing up ideas, could be anything really hahah.

If the car ran well before sitting, I doubt it's a clogged cat but if all fails, I'd check the cats.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c32 amg
Originally Posted by alb3rtt
If one pump is bad, you'd probably have no start and initially just misfires under load. Misfire on idle is probably not related to the fuel pump as the car is not under load and would probably cause random misfires all round, not just to one bank.

On the topic of fuel, maybe it's just bad fuel? You mentioned the car sat, how much was in the tank while it sat? 5 gallons of premium might not be enough if the rest is really bad old fuel.

Could also be clogged injectors? Or perhaps a bad fuel filter which also houses the fuel pressure regulator. Just throwing up ideas, could be anything really hahah.

If the car ran well before sitting, I doubt it's a clogged cat but if all fails, I'd check the cats.
The car ran well when it was parked and was jumped improperly frying the rear Sam. Replaced the sam, still no wipers, my mb scanner is unable to communicate with ECM. Thinking about removing the ecu and taking a peak. Since I plan on driving this car again, I may have the front and rear Sams rebuilt as well as the ecu for good measure. Never had a misfire issue on a whole bank that had spark. Just seems doubtful that there may be a cam issue as this car is a 2003 and ran well prior to jumping.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Mmrmercedes
The car ran well when it was parked and was jumped improperly frying the rear Sam. Replaced the sam, still no wipers, my mb scanner is unable to communicate with ECM. Thinking about removing the ecu and taking a peak. Since I plan on driving this car again, I may have the front and rear Sams rebuilt as well as the ecu for good measure. Never had a misfire issue on a whole bank that had spark. Just seems doubtful that there may be a cam issue as this car is a 2003 and ran well prior to jumping.
Doubt its cams as well. It is definitely odd given you have spark.

Regarding no wipers, check the front SAM. Could be a burned fuse, bad relay or bad SAM from the improper jump.