C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

paint protection film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
paint protection film

I heard that the 3M brand film is the best film to get. I noticed that theres a lot of companies (Invinca-Shield, Xpel, Star Shield Armor, etc.). Since almost all the companies say that they use the 3M Scotchcal films, does that mean that they are in fact all using the same material and pretty much the only difference is how they cut the pieces?

I want to have the paint protection film applied on a car, but the prices vary between all the companies that sell the precut stuff. How should I go about choosing? I know the first step is make sure they are using 3M and also have a warranty on the film. But since they all seem to have the same thing, whats the difference?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The two film manufacturers, that I know make the film, is 3M and Avery Dennison. My understanding is that the 3M is thicker and shinier. But, my understanding is that the 3M is less forgiving to installation placement problems. As such, the 3M requires a VERY experienced installer, to drop it perfectly the first time.

Both my vehicles have the Avery film and it is fine.

Get the MOST experienced installer, especially if there will be custom film, so that the installer does not cut into the paint finish. The standard stuff, front end, headlights and mirrors are all laser cut, with minor trimming, so it is not an issue.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM

2012 GL550
I just dropped by to check out an installer. He actually showed me another film by Venture? That one supposedly doesn't have clear coat but doesn't have orange peel like the 3M and also doesn't rip as easily as the 3M. It feels much more rubber-like. Heard of it before? Is $430 installed a decent price for hood kit + bumper kit?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I got the venture film on my car. I think I paid like $600, so you got a great price quote on the kit! (or I got ripped off!!)
Old 09-27-2004, 06:46 PM

03 C32AMG, 05 ML 500, Ducati 998S
I mixed and matched companies...

I have mixed and matched between Invincashield and Stongard: The cuts do make a difference in ease of installing (and finish) Both companies use 3M film. Taking the lower bumber for example, Invincashield is cut into multiple pieces compared to Stongard which tends to be a continuous bigger piece (hence requiring a professional installer). I used Invicashield for major pieces (hood and bumper), and used Stongard for oddball peices like door handle wells, and rear trunk guards, A-pillars, etc. It took me about 6 hours to do it myself, but I swear I would never do it again

I've had it for 1.5 years and no sign of deterioration (my car sits in the sun for 7 hrs a day under California Sunshine 5 days a week).

Once installed, the "orange peel" look is non existent or at least mine is not...

Hope this provides you with an insight.

Last edited by auxo; 09-27-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 AM

2012 GL550
I think I'm gonna go ahead and do the Venture film...hood, bumper, and mirrors. I've just been worrying about if the lines will bother me or not after I get it put on.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:31 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
Try to find someone who has experience on Your car. It's one of those repetitive skills and cars that have interesting curves present real challenges. Although you will pay a premium, some Dealerships offer in- house film installs or will possibly hook you up with the best people in your area.