C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Radio low volume problem - Fixed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 Z4M Z3
Radio low volume problem - Fixed!

Thought I’d post this for folks who may have this issue in the future. I searched and found similar issues but not exactly the same. So here goes…

I have a relatively new to me 2005 C55. I’ve been driving it now as a daily for a few months and it’s been great. One day I had no volume from my radio (I thought). I have the upgraded Harmon unit and nav / Command. All of that seemed to work fine except what turned out to be very low volume. If the car was off and I turned up the radio all the way I could just hear the radio. Interesting. I read all the posts about pulling various fuses to reset the system but none of those worked. I suspected the amp had gone out - now to find the amp.

I can confirm the amp was in the trunk on the passenger side under the fiber trunk liner. You have to remove a few trim clips and push type retainers, peel back the trunk liner ( did not have to completely remove liner) and you’ll see the amp in a bracket. It’s the thing with the big heat sinks all over it. I sourced a used one from the bay and paid a bit more for the identical part number. There are a number of variants and I didn’t want to be close but wrong! Cost about $200 shipped. Also used a seller that offered a 90 return policy. Put it in this morning and bingo, full sound again. Took about 20 minutes and the hardest part is getting the trunk liner correctly positioned in the trim piece.

So if you have just a little sound you may need an amp! No sound at all has lots of other possibilities.

Last edited by Skytow1; 10-01-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:21 PM

E-350
Originally Posted by Skytow1
Thought I’d post this for folks who may have this issue in the future. I searched and found similar issues but not exactly the same. So here goes…

I have a relatively new to me 2005 C55. I’ve been driving it now as a daily for a few months and it’s been great. One day I had no volume from my radio (I thought). I have the upgraded Harmon unit and nav / Command. All of that seemed to work fine except what turned out to be very low volume. If the car was off and I turned up the radio all the way I could just hear the radio. Interesting. I read all the posts about pulling various fuses to reset the system but none of those worked. I suspected the amp had gone out - now to find the amp.

I can confirm the amp was in the trunk on the passenger side under the fiber trunk liner. You have to remove a few trim clips and push type retainers, peel back the trunk liner ( did not have to completely remove liner) and you’ll see the amp in a bracket. It’s the thing with the big heat sinks all over it. I sourced a used one from the bay and paid a bit more for the identical part number. There are a number of variants and I didn’t want to be close but wrong! Cost about $200 shipped. Also used a seller that offered a 90 return policy. Put it in this morning and bingo, full sound again. Took about 20 minutes and the hardest part is getting the trunk liner correctly positioned in the trim piece.

So if you have just a little sound you may need an amp! No sound at all has lots of other possibilities.
Skytow1 thank you so much for his info. I have a 2010 E350 with a Harmon Kardon radio system, it use to kick *** and one day the volume would not allow me to put it up anymore, I replaced my batteries with Mercedes Benz batteries thinking the radio was not getting enough power source and I still have that problem. Do you think the Amp is out?

Thanks Buddy
Old 01-05-2023, 06:26 PM

C55 Z4M Z3
Hard to say for certain. Do you hear very faint sound now when you turn up the radio?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:32 PM

E-350
It was faint about a month ago now it NOTHING at all
Old 07-11-2023, 06:42 PM

E-350
Wink All Fixed Radio back on

The Culprit was the AMP
Old 07-11-2023, 06:43 PM

E-350