C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Trying to decide between Granite Gray or Brilliant Silver... help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide between Granite Gray or Brilliant Silver... help appreciated!

Since my wife and I have already decided on purchasing a new C55, the only other decision that remains is what color. I prefer Granite Gray - I think the color is unique and very upscale with an intriguing color change depending on the angle of light.

My wife like Brilliant Silver mainly because she loves silver, but also because its easier to find.

I guess it would be very helpful if some silver and granite gray owners can post on this thread so i can show my wife a "side by side" comparison.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:37 PM
lap

2002 c32
I had the MB gray picked on my 2k2 c32

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Since my wife and I have already decided on purchasing a new C55, the only other decision that remains is what color. I prefer Granite Gray - I think the color is unique and very upscale with an intriguing color change depending on the angle of light.

My wife like Brilliant Silver mainly because she loves silver, but also because its easier to find.

I guess it would be very helpful if some silver and granite gray owners can post on this thread so i can show my wife a "side by side" comparison.

Thanks.

Untill the very last day that I could make changes to my order..... then changed it to Silver! (btw, in Canada all colours were a no charge option back in 2002. This may factor into your decision making process if at all)

U pick, both = beautiful. The Porsche "gun-metal" gray of the mid-80s is my all time favourite. Unfortunately the MB grays IMHO are not as nice as some of the others such as Audi's Dolphin Gray. I suggest you really look closely at the Gray your manufacturer offers on the model you like before you finalize your deal.

Good Luck!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Almost a Member!

I got the Granite Grey delivered on my C55 on Friday and I love it. I love the way it looks totally different in direct sunlight than in low light. I didn't want Silver since my 4runner is Silver.

Scott
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Personally, I would go with Granite Gray because it is more unique and I just love the way the paint looks in person. Brilliant Silver is a beautiful color, but it seems that 90% of MBs on the road are that color. It all comes down to personal preference...either way you can't go wrong!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Notice the awsomeness of the BrilSlv in sig below.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:18 PM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
First of all the car looks good in both colors. I ruled out Silver for 2 reasons. 1- the chrome pieces of the car kinda fade away with Silver. 2- you just see so many Silver cars these days. I ordered Granite with some trepidation (one sales person paused when I mentioned I was interested in the color and simply said "Are you sure you've seen it?")
I grumbled about preferring the BMW Sterling Grey and of course the awesome Porsche Seal Grey. All that being said, the color looks great. Looks fabulous with the Black window trim, Red taillights, and silver wheels. As you observed it looks different in different light (an underrated bonus), and hides dirt pretty well too. It should be easy to find 2005 C Class in both colors on a dealer's lot. Check 'em out.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:46 PM

Thanks everyone!

Anyone happen to have pics of their silver or granite gray cars? I guess my wife and I will be heading to a dealer this weekend to evaluate! I love going to car dealerships when I'm just looking... hate to go when I'm buying.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vader13
Notice the awsomeness of the BrilSlv in sig below.
I've always noticed your sig... that car looks so very nice...

Those are Brabus rims? What size?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM

2004 E500
Here are a couple of shots. Sorry about the quality, it's all I have right now. These were shot in late afternoon.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:12 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
both are beautiful colors!!! but IMO silver shows the lines betta.....and there's a reason why there's a grip of silver cars on the road....not that many people are wrong on what looks good out there..... :p

just go to the dealer and if they have both colors, ask them to park each side by side, that may help make your decision easier
Old 10-19-2004, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
granite gray...

brilliant silver...

Last edited by Blake P; 10-19-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:32 PM

ML350 '06
Here is a link to pics I posted in here but I don't think I can repost the same pics so here ya go... https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...377#post880377

Have to warn you though...my pics may convince you that Brilliant Silver is the only way to go! lol j/k - I really do like both colors but the Granite is more unique but then that's what makes the B. Silver so popular - b/c it does look great!

Either color will look great but didn't you say the C55 is going to be your wifes car? Hmmmm? Looks like it's gonna be B. Silver then! lol!

Nick
Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nickerz
Here is a link to pics I posted in here but I don't think I can repost the same pics so here ya go... https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...377#post880377

Have to warn you though...my pics may convince you that Brilliant Silver is the only way to go! lol j/k - I really do like both colors but the Granite is more unique but then that's what makes the B. Silver so popular - b/c it does look great!

Either color will look great but didn't you say the C55 is going to be your wifes car? Hmmmm? Looks like it's gonna be B. Silver then! lol!

Nick
HAHAHA DAMN YOU!

That silver looks nice too. I guess its like deciding if you like the newly redesigned 20 dollar bill or the old one. Either way, I'd take it.

And yes, its for the wife, so she gets ultimate say in the matter, although I'm fairly persuasive...
Old 10-20-2004, 03:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Granite Gray...it's worth the wait.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:12 PM

2002 C 32
I vote for the granite gray. I would also get the birdseye maple wood trim with the black interior. Oh, don't forget the NAV. Isn't it exciting to shop for a new car .
Old 10-20-2004, 12:19 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by MK899
I vote for the granite gray. I would also get the birdseye maple wood trim with the black interior. Oh, don't forget the NAV. Isn't it exciting to shop for a new car .
Totally agree. That's what I have. Very elegant and also low maintenance since neither interior or exterior shows much dirt or dust. With the pano roof, the birdseye especially looks good on a sunny day.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
I love to give my 2cents to this question

I always like black cars. I had 'no choice' because the brilliant silver is the only one left in the shipment that I only needed to wait for one month.
I always love to see a shining silver MB on the road, but not really crazy to own one. To own it is different from to see it. Anyhow, I own it now.

The first time I saw a granite grey MB was on the W211. Because the grey is a new MB color, it is somewhat seen as unique and stylish and there are less on the roads.

The grey is grey. Pretty 'casual' but not so casual when it is on expensive cars. When grey goes with expensive sporty cars like the 911 , Ferrari , Masarati, it becomes very stylish, yet not so "flashing". The sort of mindset is "I don't want a Beetle flashing color on my Ferrari".
Beaware, grey cheap saloons can be seen as for old age people too.

The ladies always love silver , because shining color makes them young ! The brillaint silver changes color tones under different sunlights of the day, it is always looked sweet. Depending on your age and look, you can be looked younger on a silver MB than a grey even with your suit and tie on.

So, it is the mindset that makes the decision. I am sure one day, we can change the color of our cars just by press of a button to fit our different moods!

Considering there are less grey color C class on the roads, get the grey. However, one thing for sure, you will not regert to get the silver C55 as it is good for both gentleman and lady.

Finally, don't let the AMG logo deceives yourself about color, imagine you are getting a C200K , which color would you choose?

Last edited by cntlaw; 10-20-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:12 PM

2004 E500
Good analysis, cntlaw. I had narrowed my choices to either Granite Grey or Pewter. I've never cared much for the lighter shades of silver or black but that's just my personal taste. My wife wanted me to get a car with 'color' but that just didn't seem right for an 'E'. It's not her car anyhow. She can get whatever color she wants for her car. As you say, there are not too many greys out there. Around here, it seems like 90% of the MBs are some variation of black or silver. I wanted something different and I've been very happy with my choice. To me, a conservative grey is very elegant. Sort of like someone dressed in a morning suit versus black tie.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Blake P
Personally, I would go with Granite Gray because it is more unique and I just love the way the paint looks in person. Brilliant Silver is a beautiful color, but it seems that 90% of MBs on the road are that color. It all comes down to personal preference...either way you can't go wrong!

True indeed. We get tired with brilliant silver MBs.
Grey can be more "personal"
Most people buy a MB wants people to tell immediatey it is a MB. So MB limits it MB color range ; can we find yellow or green or orange MBs?
If I have a choice , I love my C55 with a yellow like the M3 or Porsche.
But the Germans only give you what they think it is best for you.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM

Its incredibly exciting. I live for researching various options, finding out new things about a prospective car, etc. It sometimes is agonizing, but its a fortunate problem to have!

I didn't know you could get a C55 with Birdseye Maple Wood trim?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cntlaw
I love to give my 2cents to this question

I always like black cars. I had 'no choice' because the brilliant silver is the only one left in the shipment that I only needed to wait for one month.
I always love to see a shining silver MB on the road, but not really crazy to own one. To own it is different from to see it. Anyhow, I own it now.

The first time I saw a granite grey MB was on the W211. Because the grey is a new MB color, it is somewhat seen as unique and stylish and there are less on the roads.

The grey is grey. Pretty 'casual' but not so casual when it is on expensive cars. When grey goes with expensive sporty cars like the 911 , Ferrari , Masarati, it becomes very stylish, yet not so "flashing". The sort of mindset is "I don't want a Beetle flashing color on my Ferrari".
Beaware, grey cheap saloons can be seen as for old age people too.

The ladies always love silver , because shining color makes them young ! The brillaint silver changes color tones under different sunlights of the day, it is always looked sweet. Depending on your age and look, you can be looked younger on a silver MB than a grey even with your suit and tie on.

So, it is the mindset that makes the decision. I am sure one day, we can change the color of our cars just by press of a button to fit our different moods!

Considering there are less grey color C class on the roads, get the grey. However, one thing for sure, you will not regert to get the silver C55 as it is good for both gentleman and lady.

Finally, don't let the AMG logo deceives yourself about color, imagine you are getting a C200K , which color would you choose?

Your post was very helpful. I do notice that my wife likes more reflective things - silver being one of them. But I think that if she gets to see the granite gray in person, she might like it a lot. I guess that's what we're doing this weekend- going to see some granite gray C classes!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 PM

2002 C 32
Guess you haven't seen this thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/85902-pic-designo-poplar-wood-trim.html
Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by BoSoxFan
Good analysis, cntlaw. I had narrowed my choices to either Granite Grey or Pewter. I've never cared much for the lighter shades of silver or black but that's just my personal taste. My wife wanted me to get a car with 'color' but that just didn't seem right for an 'E'. It's not her car anyhow. She can get whatever color she wants for her car. As you say, there are not too many greys out there. Around here, it seems like 90% of the MBs are some variation of black or silver. I wanted something different and I've been very happy with my choice. To me, a conservative grey is very elegant. Sort of like someone dressed in a morning suit versus black tie.
Yes, it is amazing to see W211 in granite grey. The images we receive from Black and Silver are somewhat too "harsh and strong". I once took some closer look to a SL350 , CLK500, 911 in granite grey, what I felt was the muscle and contents of the car , which really counts!

Last edited by cntlaw; 10-20-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:08 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I didn't know you could get a C55 with Birdseye Maple Wood trim?
This might help as to what the Birdseye looks like. The flash makes it appear as if the wood has some 'brown' in it but it really doesn't. It appears to be dark gray or even black depending on the lighting.

Attached Thumbnails Trying to decide between Granite Gray or Brilliant Silver... help appreciated!-dscn0004r.jpg  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Guess you haven't seen this thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85902
Yeah, I didn't follow up on that thread at all. Unfortunately.

NIce that you can get it... I'll have to take a look into it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between Granite Gray or Brilliant Silver... help appreciated!