C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Time for inspection, title and registration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 C36 AMG, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 2023 Lectric XP 3.0, 2010 Cervelo
Time for inspection, title and registration

At the end of March, I purchased a 2003 C32. I didn't know much about them at the time, but just fell in love with the car when I saw it. The car did and still does have lots of problems, but that's part of the allure and the fascination with automobiles. Plus, it was cheap for these cars.

Anyway, after a lot of engine work to clear codes, fix leaks, replace bad parts, etc., I have a car that runs very well. I decided to take it in for inspection. The title says it was signed over to the previous owner in 2020 and he never got the title in his name, so I think I can safely assume that it hasn't been inspected or properly registered in that time.

Last week, I replaced the LCD screen on my car. To do that, I disconnected the battery cables for safety. The car is running well, no codes, no malfunctions, so I took it to get it inspected. However, the state inspection machine failed the car because it couldn't connect to the OBDII port. The tech told me that since I had disconnected the battery, I needed to drive the car, so I went out and put on over 130 miles since the battery disconnect. I took it back, still couldn't connect. I will drive it some more then try again. Have any of you had this problem? Seems like this should qualify for a drive cycle.

I work night shift, so I will leave in a minute and will hook up my scanner, just to be sure the port is active. It was working after I replaced all the ignition components, but that was a few weeks ago.