C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 w203 Rear suspension noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes w203 C55 AMG
C55 w203 Rear suspension noises

Hey guys hope this is in the right place new to this forum!
so this one for the brains trust of these Mercedes platforms
problem I am having is a strange thumping noise (similar to a tow bar Tung loose ect) coming from the rear end of my c55 but only after driving up a large mountain range with load on the car it’s a very pronounced noise as if something is loose and only does it until I guess it cools down again for maybe 5 minutes ? The. It goes back to dead silent maybe the odd knock here nor there
Weird I know
car has had replaced the lower outer rose joints in the hub new rear shocks and springs (Bilstein coilovers)
everything else seems to be okay? Thinking internals of one of the mufflers coming loose and under the added heat after a long haul knocking ? Not sure has anyone else come across this sort of thing on any w203 platforms
Old 05-20-2023, 10:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
get it on a lift and check everything from sway bar attachments, strut bolts, toe arms, control arms wheel bearings, etc. Give everything a good look-see and press on the wheels, shake components to see if anything has noticeable play. Use a little flashlight and look closely at the condition of the rubber bushings in the innards of the arms. Check tightness of all components just to be sure. Check the driveshaft and condition of the bolts attaching to the rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stephen04E55:
Damoc55amg (05-21-2023), EMRSddFnBaZzsao (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 05:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes w203 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stephen04E55
get it on a lift and check everything from sway bar attachments, strut bolts, toe arms, control arms wheel bearings, etc. Give everything a good look-see and press on the wheels, shake components to see if anything has noticeable play. Use a little flashlight and look closely at the condition of the rubber bushings in the innards of the arms. Check tightness of all components just to be sure. Check the driveshaft and condition of the bolts attaching to the rear.
Have done all of the above did find today one of the exhaust hanger mounts is mounted incorrectly (not sure when in the last 20 years I would have been touched) but it has been banging on the muffler hanger quite a lot moved that and tried it seems to be solved! But I’ll give it a week or 2
The following users liked this post:
EMRSddFnBaZzsao (05-21-2023)