Dim instrument cluster. Recommend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 08:10 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Dim instrument cluster. Recommend?

Just recently purchased a C55.

Almost impossible to read the Instrument Cluster in Daylight - just barely can read in the dark. Center section very, very dim.

Can anyone recommend someone to refurbish it to "like new" brightness?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 C36 AMG, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 2023 Lectric XP 3.0, 2010 Cervelo
Hello,

The screen is LCD and they diminish over time and with heat. The screen is also backlit with an array of LEDs. The cluster is actually easy to remove with the proper tools or some carefully shaped wires.

Screens seem to come from Europe or the Far East, the latter being less expensive but with a bit of a reputation of early failure. The proof of that is mostly anecdotal. The LED array can lose a column or two, causing dark bands.

I replaced my screen with purchased tools and a Chinese LCD. The difference is really good - I can actually see what is going on. The column furthest from the left on my LED array is out. There are some procedures for resoldering the joints where the LEDs are surface mounted to the circuit board. I have also seen procedures for replacing the white LEDs with different colors, mainly blue.

The videos are on YouTube, I found LCD screens at several websites and purchased mine on eBay. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
abqhudson (06-14-2023)