C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 vs M3 - Another 5 unimportant reasons ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes G500 Black
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Why did you buy a G Class and not a Hummer?
Now, this is personal! Which Hummer are you implying?? H1 (original) or H2 (mall cruiser)??

G-wagen can easily keep up with H1 over most terrain, given enough clearance. It will even go places where H1 can't go due to size and weight.

Of course, the H1 was way too expensive...it's around $120K new.

As for H2, please don't make me laugh!

Anyway, had to defend my baby.

In the world, there's only 4 SUVs that i would consider having extreme capability: Hummer H1, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, MB G-wagen, and maybe Land Rover Defender. The Defender needs aftermarket equipment to be in the same class.

Last edited by Thai; 11-08-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the M5's getting rave review for how it drives, not how it looks. Just go check out bimmerforums or e46fanatics.com and they'll tell you that the new M5 is ugly, so I don't think the new M5 will take away a lot of the sales from the E55.

The C55 is indeed in the heart of the competition, BUT let's just be real right here. Ask around those that bought the M3, C32/55, or the S4, did they look at the Vette or the CTS-V when purchasing? The answer you would get is probably just among the three German machines.

I read Euro mags, Asian/Chinese mags all the time, I've yet seen a M3 beat a S4 on the wet track.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C55
I agree with FrankW that the Corvette and CTS would not be on the shopping list for someone looking at an C55/M3/S4.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
Originally Posted by FrankW
I read Euro mags, Asian/Chinese mags all the time, I've yet seen a M3 beat a S4 on the wet track.
You need to read more!

Check out this link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1499143

Just scroll down to the scanned article. It's from AUTOCAR. In fact, FrankW, AUTOCAR can be found in most bookstores! Strange how you miss this article...were you spending all your time reading chinese mags?? :p

Last edited by Thai; 11-08-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thai
Now, this is personal!

Nah, I was trying to make a point, but I think it was a great point. I appreciate your discussions on this issue. I've never seen that Autocar article before - and I'm VERY surprised. In the Speed Touring GT class, its quattro that keeps the cars way ahead of the BMW's during the rainy days.

Anyways, we're just passionate about our cars thats all.. it's like trying to defend our mother when somebody insults her.

No hard feelings....
Old 11-09-2004, 01:03 AM

the M5's getting rave review for how it drives, not how it looks. Just go check out bimmerforums or e46fanatics.com and they'll tell you that the new M5 is ugly, so I don't think the new M5 will take away a lot of the sales from the E55.
can they really speak for the rest of the world? Everyone has different tastes!!!

Anyway those two forums are mostly teenagers anyway and as soon as one person says they don't like it they all jump in in agreement even thought they are actually closet fans....lol
I've heard many people say that the design is growing on them.

The M5 will take many sales from the e55 just because its the latest fad, not everyone is an automotive enthusiast and some people like controversial styling. Some people buy new cars because they can and they don't want to be seen an old model (they have to keep up with the jones) and they usually aren't brand loyal and in their eyes the E55 is dated. Perhaps even those who previously didn't want a BMW becasue of the manual transmission now have their chance to own half an auto M car.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:41 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
You need to read more!

Check out this link:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1499143

Just scroll down to the scanned article. It's from AUTOCAR. In fact, FrankW, AUTOCAR can be found in most bookstores! Strange how you miss this article...were you spending all your time reading chinese mags?? :p
July 9th, 2003...guess you had nothing to do during the summer then. anywayz, decent article. their comments are really worlds different from TopGear's test result

Last edited by FrankW; 11-09-2004 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:49 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by reggid
can they really speak for the rest of the world? Everyone has different tastes!!!

Anyway those two forums are mostly teenagers anyway and as soon as one person says they don't like it they all jump in in agreement even thought they are actually closet fans....lol
I've heard many people say that the design is growing on them.

The M5 will take many sales from the e55 just because its the latest fad, not everyone is an automotive enthusiast and some people like controversial styling. Some people buy new cars because they can and they don't want to be seen an old model (they have to keep up with the jones) and they usually aren't brand loyal and in their eyes the E55 is dated. Perhaps even those who previously didn't want a BMW becasue of the manual transmission now have their chance to own half an auto M car.
interesting how those that mentioned the M5 are ugly are mostly in their 20-30s. Young guys are all like "wow, the new M5 is cool"

a great design doesn't need to "GROW" on ppl, it's not a fungus. you don't see ppl say that e46, e39, e38 are growing on them.

Guess that's what the CLS55 is for then. It's not pretty, but at least better than the E60 M5.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:19 AM

a great design doesn't need to "GROW" on ppl, it's not a fungus. you don't see ppl say that e46, e39, e38 are growing on them.

Guess that's what the CLS55 is for then. It's not pretty, but at least better than the E60 M5.
Its better for a design to grow on you than not grow at all though

its funny that i preffered the E36 M3 when the E46 first came out, then i grew to like the E46 and now i'm back loving both!!!

Its interesting that most controversial aspect of a cars design is the rear and the CLS and M5 both struggle to be appetising
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Fungus lol. :p
Old 11-09-2004, 04:57 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by reggid
Its better for a design to grow on you than not grow at all though

its funny that i preffered the E36 M3 when the E46 first came out, then i grew to like the E46 and now i'm back loving both!!!

Its interesting that most controversial aspect of a cars design is the rear and the CLS and M5 both struggle to be appetising
wait till you see the next S-class...it's gonna adopt the Maybach *** as I heard.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:39 AM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
I just remembered something...AMG is all into profit. Just look at the G55 AMG. That is a freaking joke! I am embarrassed to even mention it. When AMG did this, you knew that there was no heritage in AMG nor reputation for it to keep. Image?? What image??!!

Why on earth would you make an AMG vehicle out of military off-roader??!!! Body-on-frame, heavy as hell, as aerodynamic as a brick wall, heavy solid axles, tall stance (center of gravity high), poor seating position (for a sports car), etc....

What's next?? Is there gonna be a SRT version of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon???? Can't wait!

Bottom line: this dumb AMG creation appeals to the rappers and football players. It's a joke to everyone else. Let me tell you, the off-roading crowd (including me) hates it to death!

Big difference with M: BMW M refuses to make the X5 into an M-car. Thus, BMW went with the X5 4.6is...notice there's no M-version. At least, they try to keep their heritage. That's the difference.

Last edited by Thai; 11-09-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:31 AM

C32, M3 SMG, VR-4, MR-S
Displacement

Originally Posted by TAXFREE
- There is no replacement for displacement, What is this the 50's again? The german's have found a better way
Yes, technology is able to extract higher power through revving but not torque in a N.A. engine. Although many modern engines are able to produce higher power, but they are still bound by law of physics and engine reliability. Otherwise the next M3 would not be a V8 and the new Ferrari F430 (F360 replacement) would not increased capacity to 4.3L.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
sometime .... I am puzzled why people cannot read
mbworld.org and still put words in our mouths?

Why we are all here on this C32/C55 thread ? Because we are have all the biggest reasons to want a Mercedes , a C32/C55 and not something else that can easily replace it. Not because the other car look like a Ferrari and half the price of Honda, not because the other car is a fraction of a second faster. I paid 108K here for the C55 and instead I could pay less to get the latest 545i top of the 5 series luxury saloon; or add a few thouands bucks to get the top E - 500. If there were no C55 exist, I would still be driving my E320 W210 happily. Why? Because I love the idea of a 5.5 litre engine on the C class that gives as much fun as the C32 plus it still gives me a fairly luxury facelifted C class Benz with 4 door , 5 seats and a big trunk.

I was once crazy with the M3. But I was not convinced any more to get a car of two doors. I did not want a car now which my friend had already owned it two years ago. I did not want a M3 where I have seen too many of them already. I did not want a M3 which has no new innovations but everyone seems to think it is a perfect car. I think the AMG brand is a fashion. AMG is leading the way.

The c55 feel , its torque , its exhaust sound is a unique pleasure of driving experience. And, there are not that many AMGs ( except plenty of SL55's ) on the roads here in HK !!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
I just remembered something...AMG is all into profit. Just look at the G55 AMG. That is a freaking joke! I am embarrassed to even mention it. When AMG did this, you knew that there was no heritage in AMG nor reputation for it to keep. Image?? What image??!!

Why on earth would you make an AMG vehicle out of military off-roader??!!! Body-on-frame, heavy as hell, as aerodynamic as a brick wall, heavy solid axles, tall stance (center of gravity high), poor seating position (for a sports car), etc....

What's next?? Is there gonna be a SRT version of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon???? Can't wait!

Bottom line: this dumb AMG creation appeals to the rappers and football players. It's a joke to everyone else. Let me tell you, the off-roading crowd (including me) hates it to death!

Big difference with M: BMW M refuses to make the X5 into an M-car. Thus, BMW went with the X5 4.6is...notice there's no M-version. At least, they try to keep their heritage. That's the difference.
the answer is simple: BECAUSE THEY CAN!

please, if they want to keep it to tradition, they wouldn't have made the e46 M3 into a luxury sports coupe that weights 34-3500 lbs.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:30 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
the answer is simple: BECAUSE THEY CAN!

please, if they want to keep it to tradition, they wouldn't have made the e46 M3 into a luxury sports coupe that weights 34-3500 lbs.
FrankW, like missing the article i posted, you need to read more carefully! I said that BMW at least TRIES to keep their heritage.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:09 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
FrankW, like missing the article i posted, you need to read more carefully! I said that BMW at least TRIES to keep their heritage.
It's either you argue that they do or they don't. saying "they try to keep their heritage" is like saying "oh snap, i don't know how to finish my argument, so i'm just gonna pretent like i've said something."
Old 11-09-2004, 05:31 PM

C32 AMG

i think we can all agree that porsche has heritage...

so how come its ok for porsche to come out with a cayanne turbo and cayanne S while AMG cant come out with a ML55 or G55?

M and AMG are only badges. in the end its BMW and MB that made the cars.

now that this has been established, is there really a difference between the X5 4.6 or the 4.8 and a ML55 or G55, besides the G55 being faster?

no there isnt

ok then bye bye
Old 11-09-2004, 06:27 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
When did i say that i respect Porsche for the Cayenne?? I am sure that true Porsche owners have more hateful things to say about it than me. IMO, Porsche did a dumb thing. Why do you think Porsche received so much heat from their loyal owners when Cayenne debuted????

Comparing what AMG did to G55 with BMW M3 being 100 lbs overweight does not make sense to me! It's not even a good correlation. Where do you come up with these things, Frank?????????

See, AMG destroyed it's heritage with the G55 AMG. BMW M avoided this pitfall. Anyway, a BMW X5 M would still be a lot better than G55 AMG because the X5 is built for speed and handling (relative to SUV). (Same goes for Cayenne.) It's low to the ground (for SUV), independent sophisticated air suspension, wide track, unibody, aerodynamic, rack & pinion variable assist steering, etc.. (BTW, i am NOT a fan of sport SUVs, which includes X5, Cayenne, Caddy SRX, Infiniti FX, etc.)

BTW, if you're not familiar with G-wagen's running gear, then please look it up before arguing. Short version: it ain't a sports car by any length of the imagination. I have one.

G55 is not in anybody's mind a high-speed handler. It's a military off-roader. Period. If you cannot understand this, then i have no further words for you. Think: AMG modifying the Hummer H1 (original hummer)...can you even imagine it?? I cannot. Well, AMG proved me wrong with the G55.

And you know what...even if G55 had 1000 Hp and 1000 Torque, a normal X5 4.4 or Cayenne (non-turbo) can still beat it on a curve road (forget the track!). Think ML55 vs. competition. G55 has no chance...it will beat a Hummer for sure though.

ok then bye bye

Last edited by Thai; 11-09-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:34 PM

C32 AMG
When did i say that i respect Porsche for the Cayenne?? I am sure that true Porsche owners have more hateful things to say about it than me. IMO, Porsche did a dumb thing. Why do you think Porsche received so much heat from their loyal owners when Cayenne debuted????

Comparing what AMG did to G55 with BMW M3 being 100 lbs overweight does not make sense to me! It's not even a good correlation. Where do you come up with these things, Frank?????????

See, AMG destroyed it's heritage with the G55 AMG. BMW M avoided this pitfall. Anyway, a BMW X5 M would still be a lot better than G55 AMG because the X5 is built for speed and handling (relative to SUV). (Same goes for Cayenne) G55 is not in anybody's mind a high-speed handler. It's a military off-roader. If you cannot understand this, then i have no further words for you. Think: AMG modifying the Hummer H1 (original hummer)...can you even imagine it?? I cannot. Well, AMG proved me wrong with the G55.

And you know what...even if G55 had 1000 Hp and 1000 Torque, a normal X5 4.4 or Cayenne (non-turbo) can still beat it on a curve road (forget the track!). Think ML55 vs. competition. G55 has no chance...it will beat a Hummer for sure though.

Thai, if you have no respect for porsche or amg then you are simply to biased to contribute anything worth reading or constructive to this board.

my comment about the ML55 G55 vs X5 4.6,4.8 is true. Both M and AMG elaborate of the philosophy of BMW and MB. so in the end, the m or amg is just a bmw or mb with a shiny badge (image wise, which is what your so concerned about).

just because the X5 doesnt have a M badge on it doesnt mean BMW/M is any different from MB/AMG.

in the end, their both pointless (sorry G55 ML55 owners...) so M is no different from AMG since M=BMW and AMG=MB.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
you'd be the first to compare the G55 to M3. WTF exactly are you talking about? seems like every time you don't know how to respond to a reply you just change the subject.

AMG only improved their image by showing ppl that they can turn anything into a bahn-stormer even a 30 yr old brick. Maybe the M Gmbh is too afraid to touch anything that's not a small coupe or midsize sedan.

if you hate the G soo much why did you bother to get one?

this thread is useless. infact every thread w/ your post in it are useless.

unsubscribing...PEACE!

Last edited by FrankW; 11-09-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
you'd be the first to compare the G55 to M3. WTF exactly are you talking about? seems like every time you don't know how to respond to a reply you just change the subject.

AMG only improved their image by showing ppl that they can turn anything into a bahn-stormer even a 30 yr old brick. Maybe the M Gmbh is too afraid to touch anything that's not a small coupe or midsize sedan.

if you hate the G soo much why did you bother to get one?

this thread is useless. infact every thread w/ your post in it are useless.

unsubscribing...PEACE!
Hmm, see, yet another misunderstanding by you. Did i ever say that i did not like my G-wagen?? I LOVE MY G-WAGEN. I don't use it to race other cars...because i know better. My G-wagen is used to off-road, where it is simply one of the best in the world.

When did i compare G55 to M3?? Are you full of it or what??!! WHERE?

FrankW, your arguments make no sense at all! And when you can't argue, you just turn and run.... :p

BTW, to people who are unaware, FrankW amuses me...just read this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=10

FrankW does not know a damn thing about the G-wagen's capability, yet still shoots his mouth like there's no tomorrow! And like this thread, he turns tail and run when people call him.

Last edited by Thai; 11-09-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:56 PM

C32 AMG
Hmm, see, yet another misunderstanding by you. Did i ever say that i did not like my G-wagen?? I LOVE MY G-WAGEN. I don't use it to race other cars...because i know better. My G-wagen is used to off-road, where it is simply one of the best in the world.

When did i compare G55 to M3?? Are you full of it or what??!! WHERE?

FrankW, your arguments make no sense at all! And when you can't argue, you just turn and run.... :p

BTW, to people who are unaware, FrankW amuses me...just read this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=10

FrankW does not know a damn thing about the G-wagen's capability, yet still shoots his mouth like there's no tomorrow! And like this thread, he turns tail and run when people call him.
so basically thai, what your saying is... im right?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:59 PM

2004 Mercedes G500 Black
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
so basically thai, what your saying is... im right?
Explain more please.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:00 AM

C32 AMG
just read what I wrote above

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C55 vs M3 - Another 5 unimportant reasons ...