C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Too Much Oil???...c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' MB C-dblenckel
Exclamation Too Much Oil???...c55

I recently had my oil changed and I was fiddling around w/ the Multifunction menu just to see what it would read on the oil level check......and it came up reading "Engine Oil Level=Reduce Oil Level"..... should I be concerned that they may have put too much oil? should I take it back to the dealer and have them drain/siphone it?? I followed the owners manual and it states in order to check it properly wait at least 5 mins. after engine shutting (engine @ operating temp.) and wait at least 30 mins (engine not at operating temp.) I did both and only when it's at operating temp. that it reads "reduce oil level" and if I do the cold check, it indicates "engine oil level OK" .....I also noticed that when I'm warming up my car that after a minute or two my exhaust expells some light smoke.... is this normal or is it a result of the excess oil???

Last edited by DbleNckel; 11-10-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM

You are fine.

Smoke coming out of the back is very normal in the cooler morning. It is more likely evaporated condensate than actual smoke.

Oil expands when heated as do almost all liquids. Your oil level should read higher at temperature because the oil is expanded.

You should follow your owner's manual that states the correct cool down times for oil level measurement.

I hope this helps. You would probably know it if your oil was overfilled. Because it would probably be leaking all over your engine bay.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:50 PM

I would suggest you to take your car to the dealer and have them suck out some oil.
It happened to me once on my C320 but the message only pops up after the engine get HOT.

Mike
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 AM

The only thing I can think of that could be wrong was an infamous little problem with the C43 had. My c43 would sometimes get a damaged oil sensor upon changing its oil. A nice little revenue generator for post warranty vehicles. At any rate, the likelihood that somebody overfilled your oil is extremely slim, but not impossible, though I stand by what I said earlier. That being said, if it worries you, then quit asking us and just find out. That would be your safest bet.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
As I understand ...

The 5.4 L engine is particularly sensitive to oil overfilling. Too much oil will result in foaming of the oil because the crankshaft hits the oil and churns it us. You should have the dealer check it.

Tom
Old 11-12-2004, 12:22 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel
thanks all for the input, I was trying to get some feedback on it.....I'm taking it in to wash tomorrow, so I'll just ask them to check it too.....