C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Help.... Possible serious problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Help.... Possible serious problem...

My C55 has approx. 2K miles currently and everything has been perfect until recently... Last weekend after a drive, I brought my wife into the garage to see if she noticed the peculiar smell of burnt engine oil (which she did).. I was concerned about it but took the benefit of the doubt... Anyways, today I was on the highway and was driving relatively fast.. I was floored and passing someone while in 3rd gear just past 6,000 RPMs when I noticed a signifcant amt. of smoke coming from my rear exhausts. I immediately let off the gas and the smoke ceased.. The car was accelerating as it normally did and everything else seemed fine, so I didn't pull to the side of the road.. I pushed the gas one more time (at speed) and had the same result. The fuel reserve light just came on, so I filled it with Shell 93.. On the way back I tried the same thing, but this time no smoke.. I pulled into the garage and noticed the smell of burnt engine oil.... Calling the service dept. first thing Monday morning.. ... I feel like wringing Robert Fellar's neck (AMG tech who assembled my engine)
Eric...
Old 11-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
go to the dealer and fix it
Old 11-13-2004, 03:13 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by ro0zy
go to the dealer and fix it

lol... yeah that I'm going to do regardless, but do you have any insight as to what the problem could be.. The smell in the garage is definitely burnt oil..
Eric...
Old 11-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
new cars usually get that oil smell for first couple days but not as extreme as in your case.....AND search for "SHELL" in the forums because people have had problems with SHELL gas before
Old 11-13-2004, 03:51 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by ro0zy
new cars usually get that oil smell for first couple days but not as extreme as in your case.....AND search for "SHELL" in the forums because people have had problems with SHELL gas before

Funny you mention that... I use Exxon 99% of the time.. I just happened to come by a Shell station today while out of the area, so I filled with it...
Eric...
Old 11-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard of AMG motors detonating, and oil consumption is normal, but this sounds like a lot more than normal. Personally I would have run it until it detonated and then gotten a new crate motor, preferably assembled by Dieter Van Arsenhuhler. Now the technician will be running ryour car around at 6k ostensibly to replicate the problem I'm sure he'll enjoy that.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I will put my money on a leaking transmission connector. Really common right now with the "new and improved" seals.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:32 PM

Porsche
Update:
Took the C55 in and saturnstyl was right on the money... The service rep. said that the "trans- electrical O-ring" was leaky, which was producing the exhaust smoke. That was replaced and I'm picking up the car this afternoon... Thanks for the help Saturnstyl, and thank goodness it wasn't anything serious...
Eric...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:54 PM

Excellent, glad to hear it was not more serious.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Porsche
According to Saturnstyl, he's fixed several that were only a week old because of this already. He also said that the new updated seals leak worse than the previous ones. I'll be damned if my car smokes like an 84' Dodge on the highway again...

Items on the invoice:
Lock Pin
Trans Fluid
Brk-Clean
Bushing
Guide bushing plug Adapter/Seals-Auto
Trans. R & R/Seal (13 PIN Electrical Connector)
Old 11-15-2004, 04:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
glad you got it fixed.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:34 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by FrankW
glad you got it fixed.

Thanks Frank.. I was also on c32life, though I didn't post much. After reading your posts here and there I find you to be one of the most pleasant and informative posters.... Keep it up man..
Eric...
Old 11-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Your quite welcome. Need anything in the future, don't hesitate to PM me fellas. I don't hang out in all the forums, I tend to concentrate on the M-class one the most. I don't read every post every day, yours just caught my eye for some reason.....
I have yet to have the opportunity to drive a C55 yet. I liked the C43 better than the C32 though, and I love the SLK32 the best of the small cars. The E55 has major appeal due to the sleeper factor involved. Any 4 door sedan that can deliver an *** whoopin that big deserves respect. SL55 is mostly SO-SO. Needs more horsepower! But if you have ever driven a twin turbo V-12, even a NON-AMG model, look out because nothing even comes close!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by EKaru
According to Saturnstyl, he's fixed several that were only a week old because of this already. He also said that the new updated seals leak worse than the previous ones. I'll be damned if my car smokes like an 84' Dodge on the highway again...

Items on the invoice:
Lock Pin
Trans Fluid
Brk-Clean
Bushing
Guide bushing plug Adapter/Seals-Auto
Trans. R & R/Seal (13 PIN Electrical Connector)
Being the owner of a new C55 glad to hear all is ok...ONE THING THOUGH

WHATS BETTER THE S4 OR THE C55? Have read all the reviews...what do you say?

~marc
Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Your quite welcome. Need anything in the future, don't hesitate to PM me fellas. I don't hang out in all the forums, I tend to concentrate on the M-class one the most. I don't read every post every day, yours just caught my eye for some reason.....
I have yet to have the opportunity to drive a C55 yet. I liked the C43 better than the C32 though, and I love the SLK32 the best of the small cars. The E55 has major appeal due to the sleeper factor involved. Any 4 door sedan that can deliver an *** whoopin that big deserves respect. SL55 is mostly SO-SO. Needs more horsepower! But if you have ever driven a twin turbo V-12, even a NON-AMG model, look out because nothing even comes close!!!
Drove both the new CL600 AND SL600, this is an awesome motor , I mean this thing will lay down rubber at 30 mph...and what a nice sound from the exhaust....I agree with you on the SL55 needs more juice and a little tighter suspension...
Old 11-15-2004, 07:27 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by marcC55miami
Being the owner of a new C55 glad to hear all is ok...ONE THING THOUGH

WHATS BETTER THE S4 OR THE C55? Have read all the reviews...what do you say?

~marc
Thanks, I was just glad that it wasn't anything serious..
I posted here a little on the S4 and C55 here...
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/87952-poor-quality-photos-my-two-cars.html
Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by EKaru
Thanks Frank.. I was also on c32life, though I didn't post much. After reading your posts here and there I find you to be one of the most pleasant and informative posters.... Keep it up man..
Eric...
thx for the kind words, just trying to help out. I also learn a lot from this board.

btw, do not go back on c32life unless you have great spyware blocker. that site is now filled with spyware and pop-ups.

frank