C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Control Arm replacement questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 07:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG - 2018 340i - 2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
C55 Control Arm replacement questions

I'm going to tackle replacing the control arms on my C55 myself. I did it before successfully on my old E30 and on my wifes 328i.

FCP euro has a kit and a very good video here:

3 quick questions:

1. Torque specs?
The torque specs seem super low. 80nm on the bushings and 50nm (only 36ft/lbs??) on the ball joints? When I did this job on the BMW 328i the torque specs were considerable higher. Is 80nm and 50nm accurate for the Benz?

2. Counter hold?
In the video the guy from FCP euro is able to remove and reinstall the ball joint hardware without a "counter-hold." On the BMW 328i I did, the top of the ball joint bolt had a t40 torx I had to counter-hold. I assume that the Mercedes design is perhaps a bit different and thus the bolt won't spin so a counter-hold is not necessary?

3. Caliper removal?
In the FCP video, to get the front thrust arms out, he remove the caliper. But Benz legend Alex @ Legitstreetcars has a video where he just is able to tilt the spindle away by removing 3 bolts:

I assume Alex has the better method here?

Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 283 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
1. Ive done my share of control arms and Ive never use trq specs. I tend to stick to trq specs on more sensitive bolts like valve covers or oil pans where trq spec is really low and the material is softer.

2. The ball joint should have a torx wrench hole on top so if you need to counter hold, thatll be the way to do it.

3. I dont see why the caliper removal is needed. Im actually gonna replace my arms soon to install a camber kit. I looked at it yesterday and I didnt feel like I needed to remove the caliper.