C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Aint never seen one of them superchargers befer!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Aint never seen one of them superchargers befer!

So, my daughter's C32 suffered a severe power loss. She parked it and took a peek, and saw a good amount of the serpentine belt having snuggles with the y-pipes. The head of the bolt on the supercharger pulley was conspicuously absent. She had it towed to the mechanic she uses who has been pretty good with her for the typical stuff - replacing rear tires every year, changing the Mobil 1 every 10K miles, etc. The mechanic calls her and tells her the entire supercharger has eaten itself. The fix will be $9600, thank you. So I rented a trailer and picked it up. i put it on my lift so I can get to the belt from the top & bottom, etc. So after ending the y-pipes new relationship with the belt, and looking things over top & bottom i find......The bolt broke and the pulley came off. That's it. Apparently that bolt is only good for 270K miles. That's what the car currently has on it. The drive train on these cars, when not modified, last for ever! So, after fiddling the rest of the bolt out, a new bearing since I was there anyway, and a new serpentine belt, all fixed and back to spinning the tires.
I don't know if the mechanic was trying to make some quick money, or if he just ain't never seen one of them superchargers befer.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:22 PM

Received 159 Likes on 127 Posts
SL63
My guess would be the pre is a good chance that guy hasn’t seen a supercharger before. Unless dude had a background in drag strip, or aviation engines, you don’t see many other applications for superchargers.