C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ATTN: Vadim of Evosport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 AMG C-32
Question ATTN: Vadim of Evosport

While I expected to experience some reduction in power and performance with the onset of warm weather, the degree of said reduction has been extreme.
During the past week, ambient temperatures have reached or exceeded 90 degrees (albeit with low humidity) here in Las Vegas. On several different occasions (each following 30-60 minutes of stop-and-go city driving with three people on-board and the AC on), I was curious to see how the car's performance would be affected by the high intake temperatures. In each instance, I turned the AC and ESP off and launched the car from a complete stop. In each instance, the car felt dead; I could stomp on the accelerator with little response! Not only was it impossible to break traction, but the car's acceleration was downright sluggish! It reminded me of the terrible turbo-lag I experienced in my 1986 and 1988 911 Turbos (without the "kick" when the turbo spooled up).
I realize the intercooler may be the "weak link" here, but to that degree? Has anyone else experienced a similar power reduction under high ambient temperature conditions?
Old 05-27-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well it's not a c32 amg...
but my S4 feels a little reluctant when the weather gets warmer...but it doesn't feel as if my turbos are present... perhaps wut u might to want to try is installing an intercooler mister or an electric fan
Old 05-27-2002, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
JZMD1: Here is So.Cal the weather has not gotten hot yet. There were couple of days when we got in mid80s and my C32 felt a bit sluggish, but not significant.

I have been driving around with a scan tool AutoXray (www.autoxray.com) reading intake charge temperature (ACT) all the time. In most cases ACT stays around 100 degrees in 70 degree weather. Doing a WOT run from 0-100 mph gets it up to 130 and within 1-2 minutes it is back down to 100. Although I would like it to be down within 10 degrees of ambient, because intercooler shares expansion tank with cooling system, it gets some temperature crossover.

I am looking into making a separate expansion tank for the intercooler and see if it can cool the ACT down.

Meanwhile, if your dealer has checked out the car and not found any problems, I would recommend getting a hold of AutoXray scanner. It is around $250, and will allow you to see for yourself whats going on. Your local AutoZone or Pep Boys should carry it.
Your problem could possibly be a shorted intercooler pump and by looking at ACT you can verify it without leaving your car at the dealer for couple of days.