C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake Squeak solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550
Brake Squeak solutions?

The brakes aren't run too hard usually...moderate braking and some stop and go in traffic on the freeway. Today, I decided to make a two runs of flooring the car from a stop up to about 70-80 and immediately ended up having to brake pretty hard. Not slam on it, but pushed them pretty hard.

I just noticed that after that, the brakes squeak a little right before I stop. On light pressure to a stop, it doesn't really squeak. But gradual pressure starting from light to hard and finally to a stop...those last couple of feet before stopping squeaks. Not squeal loudly but squeaks. The brakes haven't had any noise until now.

Is this caused by glazing? I'm assuming the pads don't crack that easily. There also appears to be plenty left on the brake pads.

Also, the car was parked outside and the brakes were probably all cooled off completely already then drove a few blocks and made two of these 0-80 runs. Brake squeak is annoying and I just want to get rid of it.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I've heard members mention "anti-squeal paste" that is supposed to help with this annoyance, but never tried it myself.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:13 PM

2012 GL550
I thought the anti-squeal paste is to prevent the pad from vibrating under light braking. The brakes only seem to be squeaking at the last couple feet before I stop when I would be applying firm pressure. If the brakes haven't squeaked before, it is possible for the pads to suddenly start vibrating?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:32 PM
TCM

2001 BMW M5
The sound you are discribing sounds just like glazing, but usually it shoudl not squeek after a couple of hard stops, even at light stopping. Did you let the rotors cool before stopping lightly after the repeated hard stops? I would not worry too much about it. Most aggressive pad compounds are going to squeel and make noise when stopping slowly. It is a trade off for the high speed braking capabiltues they can provide. Try doing harder stops and see if the pads can cut through the glaze and provide no squeeking. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:57 PM

2012 GL550
It still squeaks the same right now after driving a few more days. I didn't let it cool down before braking lightly again. I guess I should have. The pads are still the stock pads. I guess I will try to do a few hard brakes to see if it will get the glaze off.