Own a C32 but test drove a C55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Own a C32 but test drove a C55 today

I was at Beshoff Motors in San Jose today picking my car up from service (Kenny Lampton is a great service advisor, I highly recommend him!). Anyhow, I've got a 2002 C32 brought it in to have the jerky transmission looked at, the heated seat and rear sunshade replaced and a few minor items. I walked into the showroom and asked if they had a C55 in stock. Anyhow, they had a black one that was fully loaded. Took it out for a spin and I wouldn't say the C55 is a huge improvement to the 32. However, I did notice a few small details. The headliner is now made out of what seemed like a nylon perforated fabric. My C32 has the velvet fabric headliner. Also, I noticed the 3 different shifting modes. Sport, Comfort and Manual. After trying the manual with the steering wheel shifters, I think I'd just stick with leaving the car in drive and in sport mode and have one less thing to think about while driving. However, the steering wheel does feel better and a little smaller. Could be that I'm imagining things but I think it felt smaller. Also, steering effort seemed just a tad easier. Other than that, it's still a great car and still a rocket but in my opinion, not worth the price of an upgrade, at least, not just yet. Oh one more thing, I noticed the C55 spare is one slick item. I think it's a run flat tire on a huge wheel. The tire was no more than an inch thick. Wonder how much it would cost to get me one of those spares....
Old 12-10-2004, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xqwizit
I was at Beshoff Motors in San Jose today picking my car up from service (Kenny Lampton is a great service advisor, I highly recommend him!). Anyhow, I've got a 2002 C32 brought it in to have the jerky transmission looked at, the heated seat and rear sunshade replaced and a few minor items. I walked into the showroom and asked if they had a C55 in stock. Anyhow, they had a black one that was fully loaded. Took it out for a spin and I wouldn't say the C55 is a huge improvement to the 32. However, I did notice a few small details. The headliner is now made out of what seemed like a nylon perforated fabric. My C32 has the velvet fabric headliner. Also, I noticed the 3 different shifting modes. Sport, Comfort and Manual. After trying the manual with the steering wheel shifters, I think I'd just stick with leaving the car in drive and in sport mode and have one less thing to think about while driving. However, the steering wheel does feel better and a little smaller. Could be that I'm imagining things but I think it felt smaller. Also, steering effort seemed just a tad easier. Other than that, it's still a great car and still a rocket but in my opinion, not worth the price of an upgrade, at least, not just yet. Oh one more thing, I noticed the C55 spare is one slick item. I think it's a run flat tire on a huge wheel. The tire was no more than an inch thick. Wonder how much it would cost to get me one of those spares....
I think they've had that black one in stock for awhile - we were thinking of buying it but they ended up charging a ridiculously high amount for it.

Anyways the spare is actually a deflated tire - there's an air compressor that you plug into the cig lighter and it inflates the spare to the corrrect pressure - then you mount it. Kinda wierd but it works i guess.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by xqwizit
... I think it's a run flat tire on a huge wheel. The tire was no more than an inch thick. Wonder how much it would cost to get me one of those spares....
Vredestein is the tire manufacturer. Inflatable spare which Porsche also uses (maybe different tire and wheel, however).

Rgds,
Norm