C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Found out something about dyno mode.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found out something about dyno mode.

I know that a lot of people have been successful finding dyno mode, but I wasn't until tonight.

The part I didn't get is that the odometer can show with the key in the ignition, but when you turn to position 1 (accessory position) you might have the stereo come up in the instrument pod display, or navigation, or telephone, or whatever. You have to change it so that when you start up the car it starts to the odometer, something I never bother to do normally.

So here is the procedure:

(1) Turn on the car to at least position 1 (one click clockwise)

(2) Change your instrument pod display until it shows the digital odometer

(3) Turn the car off

(4) Turn the car on to position 1 (one click clockwise)

(5) While the SRS light is on, press the trip odometer reset button three times (you must finish pressing the button three times before the srs light turns off and the odometer reset button is a black stalk on the left side of the instrument pod sticking out perpendicularly)

(6) If everything went well, then a voltage display should come up.

(7) Press the "up arrow" on the left side of the steering wheel twice.

(8) A menu will come up that shows esp dyno mode.

(9) To turn off the dyno mode, repeat the whole process if need be and select w/t 15 off.

(10) I haven't tried to turn it off yet, because I have yet to turn it on, but I suspect it will take 15 minutes for the car to reset modes. w/t 15 off = wait time 15 minutes off (i am just guessing here)

I hope this helps and clears up any procedural elements that were being missed. Remember that the gear closest to 1.00 ratio yields the most accurate numbers for horsepower and have fun at the dynos.

Last edited by rguy; 12-19-2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 MB CLK 320A; '06 BMW X5 4.8is
is it safe to drive in dyno mode, does it only disable the trac system or what and are you completely screwed in an emergency?
Also, if you disable ESP completely dont you lose the "theoretical" limited slip rear end

Last edited by mrkbbd; 12-19-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:28 AM

You lose the electronic controls that govern the car including the limited slip effect of the software's control on the brakes and throttle.

Some people like cars the way they used to be and that includes no nannies. I for one appreciate them when I am trying to find the edge and instead of pirouetting off into the ditch, I hold the curve. It is a bit restrictive on dry roads during normal driving and definitely in track driving, but I think the off position of the ESP (which is pretty much just watching your kid from a distance rather than up close) is helpful and enough.

For dynoing a car though, esp is awful, as is abs and asr. All three of these systems get shut off in dyno mode. Car and driver got .03 higher skidpad g's in their test in dyno mode.

To answer your question, you can get higher performance driving in dyno mode, but it was never intended for you to drive in it. You may do things like lock up the brakes, or oversteer into a ditch, and that certainly would be your fault. The car is safe in dyno mode, but that is only true in the hands and feet of a driver who can handle the car without electronic intervention.

You would be completely screwed in an emergency if that emergency included a situation where you were spinning out or trying to stop in a really short distance. Oh, and by the way, I think brake assist gets shut off too.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
from experience....... dont drive the car in dyno mode!!! It will trip a check engine light when u drive it for a bit and force the tranny to downshift at lights. In dyno mode the tranny shouldnt downshift after it upshifts. make sure you put the car in neutral in b/w dyno runs.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:27 PM

I don't plan on driving it in dyno mode, but the fact remains that it can be done safely.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 AM

C63 AMG (stock right now), Beach Cruiser (debadged), Piper Cherokee 280 (too much to mention)
question about dyno mode

Thanks for the interesting post... and excuse my ignorance with this question:

I read a while back in relation to the ECU on the MINI Cooper (and all new ECU families) that they actually run on different maps when in 'dyno mode'!

for example... the car will run a new fuel curve and ignition curve when it knows that your doing a dyno run - makes sense as they probably try to 'protect' the engine with over doing on a concervative tune - saves toasted motors from idiots doing 50+ back to back runs on a SL600 or Maybach!

Do you know if this 'trick' gets rid of this? or does it still run in the 'not accessed on the road' maps?

Old 12-23-2004, 02:29 AM

You're welcome for the post.

I haven't heard anything about changing the map in dyno mode. If that is true for MB, then it is on the low-low (forgive the vernacular). Magazines and tuners alike have yet to pick up on it, if it is true for MB.

I hope there are no idiots who do 50 dyno runs back to back with no ventilation (ventilation meaning wind speed above 70 mph), but I am almost certain there are now that you mention it.

My guess is that for MB, the ecu mapping is the same. I would think that Car and Driver would notice a marked decrease in output while road testing in dyno mode, and I would think MB would want to have as many people confirm dyno numbers as possible (given the current hp war going on in germany).

I hope this helps, and I am sorry it is speculation.

By the way, cops hate me too. Sorry that you have to share the burden.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Traffic cops hate everyone.