Comand - compass and wheel direction.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Comand - compass and wheel direction.

OK, the compass display is obvious but to the left of that is a display of what appears to be "front wheel orientation" (straight ahead being 0-deg). It displays degrees left and right in 1-deg increments and works also when the car is standing still. So when I park I can tell if my wheels are pointing straight ahead. Anyone know the purpose? It's not in Owner's Manual or Comand Manual.

By the way, I previously posted that my altitiude always read 0-ft (where my previous BMW registered changes at least as small as 10-ft). In the "compass" display, there is also a smaller part of the screen on the right to display altitude in 100-ft increments. So, maybe it would take change of at least 100-ft to register a change from 0-ft on the bottom of the main Nav/map display (where you see longitude/latitude and number of GPS satellites).

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-01-2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noka,

You just hit the nail on the head. The degrees of wheel turn are there to provide information about which way your wheels are pointing when you get into a spot and when you leave it. Despite the fact that SUVs are getting bigger and selling better than they were even a year ago, the parking lot spots are staying the same or getting smaller in some cases.

I don't know about you, but I use it to prevent curb rash when parallel parked and to make sure I don't back out on an arc where I am going to hit one of the cars next to me. It also saves me from having to straighten out the wheel when I am in a hurry to get some place and can save that for when I get back.

As for the altimeter, I think MB's purpose for the altimeter was to measure significant differences in altitude. It is unlikely that a sensitivity of ten feet is going to alter performance, breathing, cooking, or much else for that matter so they left it at about 50-100ft of sensitivity. I find it pretty amazing that there is an altimeter at all, as it isn't all that useful to me.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by rguy
... It also saves me from having to straighten out the wheel when I am in a hurry to get some place and can save that for when I get back.
Not sure whay you mean by that. Could you explain?

... I find it pretty amazing that there is an altimeter at all, as it isn't all that useful to me.
I agree. I was more curious about how it worked and what sensitivity it had.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-01-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you are in a space you should (traditionally) always straighten out the wheel before getting out. That way, you cannot think it is straight (perhaps it is 1 full turn left or right) and end up backing out or pulling forward in a very surprising direction.

I always hate it when someone asks me to drive, and when I jump in the car, I have to guess which way the wheels are turned and by how much. I hope this explains everything. Take care.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
... I hope this explains everything. ...
Yes, it does ... thanks.

Rgds,
Norm