C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

oh GOOD GOD guys!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
oh GOOD GOD guys!

I was turning out of an intersection in the S4, floor it out, slow down at the next traffic light (right by my house), and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the whole car is shaking.... The first thing that came to mind was a misfiring cylinder. I turn off the engine and restart it and it's completely normal.... This is an 05' S4 with 2K+ miles on it...
Eric....
Old 01-15-2005, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by EKaru
... all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the whole car is shaking ...
Not specific to S4. Similar thing happened with my '03 M5 on the highway. Running rough, half power. Pulled over, rebooted and normal after that. Turned out it was a cyclinder misfire that put it into limp mode. Unfortunately, lots of cars these days exhibit such strange symptoms once in a while. Likely a combination of high-tech h/w and imperfect s/w.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by EKaru
I was turning out of an intersection in the S4, floor it out, slow down at the next traffic light (right by my house), and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the whole car is shaking.... The first thing that came to mind was a misfiring cylinder. I turn off the engine and restart it and it's completely normal.... This is an 05' S4 with 2K+ miles on it...
Eric....
Could be igniters as well, Audi/VW had a bad run in 2002/03/04... More common with A-6's but the symptoms are exactly the same???
Old 01-19-2005, 12:00 PM

The transimission on my C55 had hiccuped (shifted at an odd time like it couldn't make up its mind) twice during the first 1K miles but nothing since, if it is an isolated event I wouldn't worry about it, but you may want to cancel your track day until your sure there are no ongoing issues.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Sounds exactly like a coilpack issue. The A4's (as someone mentioned above) had a run of those problems - but even now some of us A4 owners have had an issue or two. Did you bring it to the dealership yet to check out the CEL code it threw?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

ouch. thats unfortunate to the new s4'.s. ive gone through the same problems. i had sporatic missfire issues in cyl #7. and after 3 monthe they couldnt solve it. everyone that i know of so far with the s4's that this has happend to . their cars have been bought back . including mine. all i can tell you is when you go to dealer drop it off and dont pick it up until its done. i was used as a guine pig. and went back and forth many times, and be prepared to document everything. days in shop etc. good luck . hope that you dont end up with the same thing i and everyone else went through with that. although the way you described it sounds the same. good luck and if you need anymore info just ask. i had an 04' with an 11-03 build date.