C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Verdict on 1.5K RPM Squeak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verdict on 1.5K RPM Squeak?

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2002 C32 with 16k miles and am very pleased with the car so far. However, it does have at least one quirk:

At about 1500 RPM, under moderate acceleration, there's a squeak / chirp noise that sounds like rubber on metal. Faint, but deffinitely noticable. I have also noticed that the chirp coincides with a brief period of hesitation. Posts on this forum suggest this is the "supercharger clutch" and the most common remedy seems to be replacing the supercharger altogther. This seemed to work for those that had the work done.

There haven't been any posts on this topic recently though - is this still the recommended remedy? One post mentioned that MB is asking dealers NOT to replace the supercharger - can I expect a debate with the service rep? Is it worth it?

Has there been a final verdict on this issue? Quirk / nuisance or serious issue that needs to be rectified ASAP?

Any info or recommendations are appreciated!

John
Old 02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by lepton
Hi all. I recently purchased a 2002 C32 with 16k miles and am very pleased with the car so far. However, it does have at least one quirk:

At about 1500 RPM, under moderate acceleration, there's a squeak / chirp noise that sounds like rubber on metal. Faint, but deffinitely noticable. I have also noticed that the chirp coincides with a brief period of hesitation. Posts on this forum suggest this is the "supercharger clutch" and the most common remedy seems to be replacing the supercharger altogther. This seemed to work for those that had the work done.

There haven't been any posts on this topic recently though - is this still the recommended remedy? One post mentioned that MB is asking dealers NOT to replace the supercharger - can I expect a debate with the service rep? Is it worth it?

Has there been a final verdict on this issue? Quirk / nuisance or serious issue that needs to be rectified ASAP?

Any info or recommendations are appreciated!

John

Buy that C32! It has almost no miles for a 2002. The sound you are talking about is normal to every kompressor AMG motor. The blower engages and the belt slips for a split second until the blower speed equals the speed of the motor. It is completely normal and there is no solution to the issue. MB has stopped trying to fix it because when u make rubber and metal grip there is a squeak when it slips.

My C32 did it, both my 55k motors do it, every Kompressor AMG motor I have ever driven did it. Don't even think twice about it!

Get that car and have fun!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
It is actually clutch slipping, not the belt. At around 50,000 mile clutch can be taken apart and front surface cleaned with fine sand paper. Cures the squeek for the next 50,000 miles.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
my cars did it at 1k miles not 50k. Can you just do the sanding to the V8k blower clutch as well?

while I have your attention Vadim, does a resonator removal sound rational in an E55k? I want the car to sound like my SL55 but they are worlds apart. Will I have a reduction in low end torque? I know there is now power gain I am just looking for sound quality.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
CynCarvC32: C32s generally do not make clutch noise until 25-30K miles. E55s typically start really early, 1-2K miles.

Yes, E55 clutch can be taken apart and cleaned also. It's about one hour procedure.

As far as resonators removal on E55, we have done quite a few and they work very well. There is no loss in TQ, but the sound is just like an SL55. Here are some pixs:
Attached Thumbnails Verdict on 1.5K RPM Squeak?-e55-res-bypass-before.jpg   Verdict on 1.5K RPM Squeak?-e55-res-bypass-after.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
is there a diy for the supercharger clutch fix?

thanks