What should I look for when buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 03:10 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 AMG C43
What should I look for when buying?

Hello everyone!

A complete newbie to the forums here, I realise most of you are in the USofA, hope you don't mind a limey dropping in.

I'm looking to change my car soon, and have decided that a C43 is top of the list for a replacement, but realise that I need to do my homework rather than going in feet-first.. they are complicated beasts and expensive to fix when they go wrong! I'd rather take my time and find the right one..

From the research I've done so far, the things that seem to be highlighted are transmission problems and an appetite for brake rotors.. not such a big surprise, considering the performance available. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Whatever I buy, it will have to have full main dealer servicing history before I even consider it. I intend to keep up the servicing as well, as a) it will need it.. I've been running performance cars for years and know that missing out on maintenance isn't a clever idea, and b) I want it to be worth something when I come to sell it!

A quick question on rotors, while I'm on here. I went to look at a year 2000 saloon (I would really prefer the wagon version) last weekend, had a feel around under the wheels and the front rotors had a step around the edge where the pads don't bite. I didn't have any measuring equipment with me, but as I'm a precision engineer by trade I trust my fingers.. I would guess there was a 2-3mm lip on the outside edge (3/32" to 1/8" for those of you more used to inches). Assuming the rotors are worn an equal amount on both sides, are they ready to go in the trash or is there some life left in them yet? I've heard that new rotors are around 850GBP to replace (so roughly double that in dollar terms). I don't really want to have to spend that much on a car I've just bought...

I didn't drive the car, got into a discussion with the salesman and he wasn't prepared to go near what I thought my car was worth as a trade-in so that was the end of that (although if he's still got it in a month's time I'm sure his position will be more open to negotiation..), but what should I look for in terms of the transmission? Does it have any telltale signs that problems are on the way? I'm used to a manual gearbox and have never owned an automatic, so I might miss something obvious under the grounds of "that must be what it's supposed to do"...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, please help out a newbie! Once I do find *the one*, I'll be sure to post some pictures!!

Cheers,

Plug
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:41 AM

Repairs can be costly. I changed my break pads recently and it cost me $500 just for pads! Also my car is now in the shop for a whole valve job, costing my extended warranty people $5k. Which hopefully they'll cover all of it. Car has only 77k as well. It's been properly maintained so ionno. It's still a blast, but just small headaches now and then. However, I haven't had any transmission problems. Just change tranny fluid every 30k mils or so.
Old 03-31-2005 | 12:35 PM

C43
Its totally not true that C43s go through brakes quick. I've had my car almost 2 years and still havn't changed pads or rotors. The transmission on C43's is good too. Have the fluid changed right after you buy the car. A tranny with old fluid usually starts to slip under hard excelleration - a fluid change fixes that issue - but do it early because when the tranny slips its wearing itself out MUCH quicker.

Before you buy, make sure the car doesn't have any leaks underneath around the axles, differential, A/C pump. Dealer should fix anything like that of course. Check the visible belts for tears. Is the stearing tight? If loose, the car probably needs a steering shock (i think it was called that - $150)

Also just figure the car will cost you $2000 to fix up in first 18 months of ownership - and if your lucky it won't