C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43: 1/4 Mile times/weight reduction/maintenance/new owner questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Pontiac GTO
C43: 1/4 Mile times/weight reduction/maintenance/new owner questions

I bought a 1999 C43 back in Feb. that now has 67,000 miles on it. I finally got my account activated and now I can blurt out all my questions. I have never owned a foreign car before so I am new at this game.

The weather is finally getting nice and the drag strip is now open. Has anyone ever run their C43 down? I have found magazine 1/4 mile times from 14.4-14.9. I do not belive this as my friends Pontiac GTP runs faster than that and I am able to put many car-lengths on him very quickly. I am going on April 27th, but I would like to know what to expect from this car.

I have not been able to find any moderately priced mods for the C43, so I decided to start ripping some weight out. I have gutted the trunk of the spare tire, jack, and the spare tire holder. Floor mats are out and I have no personal items anywhere in the car. The AMG front engine cover is also off. What else has anyone taken off?

I have already done an oil change using a Napa Gold filter and Mobil 1 0w-40. Is there any easy way to get at the air filters? I haven't looked very hard, but it looks like you need to take roughly 6 upside down screws. Is this the correct way?

I negotiated a 2yr/24,000 mile powertrain warranty into the deal becuase I read some scary transmission stories so I am not too worried, but I have a question. If I floor it around say 30mph after just slowly cruising, the engine spins very high and seems to bounce of the rev limiter before it shifts. It seems that the colder the temp is, the more likely this is to happen. This also happens around 50-60mph. This does not happen but once a week so I am unable to take it in for repair. I am taking the car in for a transmission flush soon to see if that cures the problem. It has worked before in my domestic cars. Think it will cure this problem?

About the "inflatable" seats.... mine "deflate" after about 2 minutes of driving. Am I doing something wrong or are they bad?

Finally, is there anyway to completely disable the traction control? I want to launch the car on my own without a computer trying to "help" me.

I thank you so much for any input you can provide. I absolutely love this car.