C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Inst Cluster fuse & radiator fan related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C230 5-a
Angry Inst Cluster fuse & radiator fan related?

Okay, this is for my 98 C230 automatic. The fuse for the instrument cluster blew. Immediately, the radiator fan started running all the time. so, I have no functioning instruments, but a fan running constantly. When I replace the fuse (red 10 Amp), the instruments work, the fan stops and the "check engine" light goes on. The next morning, the "check engine" light is off and everything is fine until it happens again.

Seems that the thermostatic switch that turns the fan on somehow blows the fuse, but that doesn't explain why the fan stays on.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:47 PM

C43AMG 1999
fan running all the time?

does the fan run all the time even with ignition off?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Almost a Member!

1998 C230 5-a
inst cluster fuse & radiator fan related?

Originally Posted by hangup
does the fan run all the time even with ignition off?

No. Engine off Fan off....
Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 PM

C43AMG 1999
Originally Posted by ybgoss
No. Engine off Fan off....
strange . . . is your e-mail working btw?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couple of things to look for: first did you recent'y work on yoru car prior to your car blowing fuses? perhaps some wiring etc? like you have stated, you could have damaged the fan switch during the fuse blowing- your fan switch might be stuck at closed position hence why your fan is constaly running. normally the fan switch is open and no current is passed through to the fan, only when the fan switch reaches certain temp, it close the connection to pass the current to the fan. there could be a short, if you did any work on your car, maybe a wire got pinched??? electrical is probably one of the hardest to diagnose but try to think back on what was the last thing you have done to the car prior this happening..
Old 06-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Almost a Member!

1998 C230 5-a
The most recent work done on my car was an oil change by Jiffy Lube. The idiots didn't replace the oil filler cap properly and oil blew over those parts of the engine nearby, dripped into the plastic sheath under the oil pan and onto whatever was below that. I brought the car back and they chemically steam cleaned it. For several weeks you could smell the combination of oil and water evaporating. Now, I hate the expression "that being said", so I'll just say that I don't believe that the oil event has anything to do with this problem because the same thing happened a couple of years ago.

Then, I just changed the fuse and everything was okay. Now, I changed the fuse and the replacement fuse blew, which did not happen last time. So, I hope it is something easy and cheap to repair myself.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 06-19-2005, 02:54 PM

C43AMG 1999
Joel, check you private messages please