C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

How expensive is it to maintain a C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43AMG 1999
Originally Posted by VAamg
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on teaching myself how to do the air filter. I heard (read) someone in hear before say the fuel filter was a messy job and not being all that mechanically inclinded, I might let MB do that while they are doing the warranty work next week.

They said they checked the engine mounts during the inspection I just had done.

As for reprogramming the windows, are the directions for that in the manual? I am probably having a new stereo put in next week and that will require disconnecting the battery.

Anyone know any good places to get OEM air filter? The labor for the dealer doing it is not the problem, it is the $156 for the filter.

for reprogramming windows&moonroof as well as the ABS, search this forum and/or check owners manual.
bma auto parts has the filters for 17.63, you'll need two.
i think the lowest price i've seen on them online when i was looking was 16 bucks per filter, but i don't remember where.
i think the dealer wants 156 for both, but it's still a rape.
MANN is the OEM and the filters that i got were exactly the same as were in the car before, so it's not like you'll be getting anything less than what the dealer is putting in.

i was probably the one who said that the fuel filter was messy, but to be exact, i didn't say that. i said i thought it would be so i let them do it, but i haven't done it, so maybe someone else here who has could tell you if it really is or not.
filter was something like 130 with labor included . . . so considering you'll have to pay 35-50 for the filter itself, it doesn't seem as bad as paying 156+labor for the two air filters that you can buy for 32 bucks and install in 15 minutes.
all depends on the weather for me, if it's nice outside i'd do it myself. if it's cold or raining or something, i'd let them do it as i don't have a garage.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
Tranny question/opinion for you guys again. I just had my tranny serviced by the MB dealer here in Hampton. I had a leak at the shifter cable and one somewhere else (electronic something or other) They had to drain the tranny and refill to do the repair. There is 73k on the clock right now, and I know the oil looked pretty clean, (because it was on my garage floor) before this repair. You think I am covered as far as a flush for awhile? What mileage would you consider having it done at this point?

Thanks for the advice. Getting my stereo installed tomorrow and then headed for our first road trip to Kentucky for the weekend, can' twait.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2005, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by VAamg
Tranny question/opinion for you guys again. I just had my tranny serviced by the MB dealer here in Hampton. I had a leak at the shifter cable and one somewhere else (electronic something or other) They had to drain the tranny and refill to do the repair. There is 73k on the clock right now, and I know the oil looked pretty clean, (because it was on my garage floor) before this repair. You think I am covered as far as a flush for awhile? What mileage would you consider having it done at this point?

Thanks for the advice. Getting my stereo installed tomorrow and then headed for our first road trip to Kentucky for the weekend, can' twait.

Jeff
I'm a fanatic and I change my tranny fluid as often as possible.I drive and shift the hell out of my car from time to time.So I chnge mine every 5k miles so far.Twice since I've owned it Feb 04.Also purchase some Green Filters for your car.Do a search alot of C32 and C55 guys use them.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 PM

I just bought a 98 with 78k on it. Just took it into the dealership for the first time to check on the HB recall.

Replaced climate control as mine was randomly missing digits from time to time and replaced the mirror motor on passenger side $756.00

They found a broken motor mount $625

They found that all my suspension bushing are cracked and rotted... Not too big of an issue now but they will need to be replaced when I lower the car. No price yet.

They also found a pretty sizable head gasket leak. No price yet.

The rear resonator is cracked at the flange. No price yet.

I guessing I have $3k in repairs beyond the motor mount and climate control

I got the car for $15k so the price for a car at 100% is now at $20ish which is still pretty good if nothing else breaks. I don’t really need to replace the resonator or the suspension bushings (yet) Oil is not leaking all over the ground (yet) so I can probably leave that stuff alone for a year or so and drive the car at $17ish. These were all done at the dealership. I might have saved 15% by taking it to another shop.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keynote22
I just bought a 98 with 78k on it. Just took it into the dealership for the first time to check on the HB recall.

Replaced climate control as mine was randomly missing digits from time to time and replaced the mirror motor on passenger side $756.00

They found a broken motor mount $625

They found that all my suspension bushing are cracked and rotted... Not too big of an issue now but they will need to be replaced when I lower the car. No price yet.

They also found a pretty sizable head gasket leak. No price yet.

The rear resonator is cracked at the flange. No price yet.

I guessing I have $3k in repairs beyond the motor mount and climate control

I got the car for $15k so the price for a car at 100% is now at $20ish which is still pretty good if nothing else breaks. I don’t really need to replace the resonator or the suspension bushings (yet) Oil is not leaking all over the ground (yet) so I can probably leave that stuff alone for a year or so and drive the car at $17ish. These were all done at the dealership. I might have saved 15% by taking it to another shop.

hey keynote, also make sure to check your belt tensioner, more than likey you probably have an older revision. mines went out, and it was not pretty, first it started to make a slight sqeaking noise and then few days later started to wobble, soon enought it will seize and melt the belt apart. if this happens while your driving, you will lose power steering and yoru car will overheat. when i bought a new belt tensioner at the dealer, the parts guy told me that they had 4 revisions so far - which tells me, the older ones probably had a bad design, the new one looks slightly different than my old one. the way you can quickly tell if you have an old belt tensioner is by looking at the center of the tensioner and if you see a torx nipple, you have the older one.