C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 and improved HP and handling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face C43 and improved HP and handling?

Is replacing the air filter even worth it? Is there anything else I can do that will bring any performance gains that is somewhat cheap? Under-drive pulleys? Exhaust?

My car has a bit over 80k miles. I want to lower it. Can I just replace the springs or should I replace the shocks also at the same time? How long will the stock shocks last if I just replace the springs? Does anyone make sways for the C43?

thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by jpalmerm
Is replacing the air filter even worth it? Is there anything else I can do that will bring any performance gains that is somewhat cheap? Under-drive pulleys? Exhaust?
I'll suggest using Search ; and join www.club202.com where this has been beaten to death... [!]

Yes to all that you listed ...

Yes, filters are worth it. Both responsiveness and power. tho... a lot of people have MAF problems after installing or cleaning K&Ns. ...I know I did. (and if you use search, you'll be able to find those posts... )

If you do not live in an area where it is regularly over 100 degrees in the summer, have someone with a Mercedes Star Diagnosis Computer (usually only a dealer unless you get real lucky) set your "Ignition Retard" from "default" to "RON93". It makes the car feel closer to having a direct wired throttle. Thickens the torque mid-band; you give up a little near redline. Much better for every day driving. I tip real well at the dealership, so never had any resistance. I'm lucky to now be hooked up with a MB Master Tech who does so much side work he owns his own Star Diagnosis Computer.

You can also get manifold spacers [ www.outlawengineering.com ] which will cool off your manifold significantly for better responsiveness and lower chance of pre-ignition. [you buy some manifold gaskets and mail them to outlaw and they produce the spacers.] Then there's also insulating matting made for engines and headers that after lifting up the manifold, will be able to fit between the engine and manifold and provide further cooling of the manifold. I just don't know why I've been waiting so long to order and mod mine.

That's about it for "cheap". Cheap notwithstanding...

My buddy who did his 5.4L swap first is running a partial custom exhaust and strongly states it's no better then stock. Speedybenz on the other hand is running 100% custom exhaust (but no headers) and states good results. I drove it, and the way he has it breathing, it's much better then mine was before the swap.

Then there's customer headers ... I have a guy who makes a living of building custome turbo manifolds ... he can make regular headers too. Either of Burns Stainless or a super thick mild steel that you'd then want to get nickle coated ... later is much cheaper but much heavier. Are you interested in going in with me? The more we have done, probably, the lower cost. Between $2K and $3K.

If I go custom headers, I'll go complete custom exhaust as well.

...and of course, you can do what I and coolcarlski43 and knvs did (and come others) ...buy a 5.4L motor from a wecked E55 and drop it in.

...or just max it out with a supercharger.

...and make sure your MAF is 100%.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by c55m8o

My buddy who did his 5.4L swap first is running a partial custom exhaust and strongly states it's no better then stock. Speedybenz on the other hand is running 100% custom exhaust (but no headers) and states good results. I drove it, and the way he has it breathing, it's much better then mine was before the swap.

If I go custom headers, I'll go complete custom exhaust as well.

Steve ,I think if I did the intake mods that Speedy did with the

inlets coming from the fogs ,this would perhaps compliment this exhaust

that's on my car.I'm taking it off and getting the supersprint mid sect anyway.

I will be supercharging the car this spring if the guy in this thread get's back

to me.It's better and cheaper than the HPS setup.https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...45#post1345245
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 PM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Steve ,I think if I did the intake mods that Speedy did with the inlets coming from the fogs ,this would perhaps compliment this exhaust that's on my car.I'm taking it off and getting the supersprint mid sect anyway.
Ya, I hear ya. Though I don't know if you could make use of both sides if you do a centrifical supercharger on the passenger side.

There was one guy that made me think twice about even that tho... There was this very knowledgeable and well spoken individual who works for AMG that answered technical questions during the the NE meet this year. When I spoke to him after the meet, one thing he stated about that was the ducts down that low pull up hot air off the road. The closer to the blacktop, the hotter the air. He was saying the best place to pull in the air was in front of the windshield ... like the old late 60's Chevy's did. ...but, I don't think we're going to be cutting up our hoods to install one of those intakes, are we?

I will be supercharging the car this spring if the guy in this thread get's back
to me.It's better and cheaper than the HPS setup.https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...45#post1345245
hey, the guy posted pix ... that's kewl. I've been seriously thinking centifical... The way my car is now, it's got pleanty down low ... need more up high; and that's what that would give you. Then there's also the HoP system... ...notice that torque curve... perfect for WOT runs! And that's the 4.3L motor. I think we could hit 400 rwhp with the 5.4L motors.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by c55m8o

hey, the guy posted pix ... that's kewl. I've been seriously thinking centifical... The way my car is now, it's got pleanty down low ... need more up high; and that's what that would give you. Then there's also the HoP system... ...notice that torque curve... perfect for WOT runs! And that's the 4.3L motor. I think we could hit 400 rwhp with the 5.4L motors.
Hmm! Speedy seems to have no problem with placing his ducts down there! By the way that S/C kit you have linked there is nice Steve.Choices,choices,choices!But I'm definitely going S/C.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Hmm! Speedy seems to have no problem with placing his ducts down there! By the way that S/C kit you have linked there is nice Steve.Choices,choices,choices!But I'm definitely going S/C.
ya, I know ... what that guy said just got me think'n tho... made sense.

Ya, I should be happy too; but what the hey... why stop now!

BTW, my complete speedybenz suspension arrived today...
Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM

getting your C43 to turn even better

Originally Posted by jpalmerm
My car has a bit over 80k miles. I want to lower it. Can I just replace the springs or should I replace the shocks also at the same time? How long will the stock shocks last if I just replace the springs? Does anyone make sways for the C43?
jpalmerm, where ya been?

Anyway, thought you'd be interested in this< this > ... ...even if it's too steep an option for what you want to do.

Regarding swapping to shorter springs on your AMG suspension but not the shocks... I've read on numerous occasion, you should replace shocks with ones made to your travel. If using the same AMG shocks, they won't operate through its full travel, will always be compressed more by the amount you lowered the car then they were designed for, and will affect both the ride quality and longevity of the shock [...repeating what I've heard from Club202]. By how much, I can't recall but a search on Club202 might have that.

Regarding sways, you can use delrin bushings. In addition, you can use the "baby speedybenz camber arm" looking arms in my pix of the speedybenz suspension (in my link above) to increase the effectiveness of your existing swaybars. ...Though, Jeff does have something to say about using them w/o also using his adjustable spring perches (in my link below).

see this thread, same subject as I linked to above,but on Club202 where it's active. There are answers on there regarding how swaybar bushing swap to Delrin will improve its effectiveness, and a description of the function of the add'l 2nd set of arms and rear swaybar link arms.