Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006 | 08:23 AM

none right now
dealers, ppis and pics

I often wonder whether
a) used car dealers go to idiot school to learn their trade
b) their exists a "nice" used car sales person

the dealer and I are locked in price disputes. This dealer (GM) doesn't know the first things about MB - let alone an AMG. Just about the only thing unroadworthy on the car was the half assed battery they put in it to save a $ which they didnt even bother to fix properly so it was movign around the boot. If they cant get a battery in it that kind of negates their wonderul warranty - imagine what they'd do to it....

So, I am suffering dealer sickness. We may find a happy medium on price. Now, Im usually a good negotiator, and I am quite happy to walk away - but doesnt that engine note sound sweet.. *sighs* Like real sweet. I now understand the smiles all over this forum!

The PPI was pretty glowing - noting to fault on the car really - all the recorded alarms on the 'puter were what the tech called "bull**** alarms". The mechanic warned me about hte maintenance cost on an AMG - especially one with 100k + on the clock. When I pushed him on transmission - he said something about lifetime fluid - and that in his experience every time he drains it something goes wrong with the transmission within 10,000km... I see what you mean about their reluctance!

Oh - the only other thing - the boot had been resprayed - no evidence of chassis frame damage - so unlikely it had been hit - what gave it away was the odd fleck of sand - but more so - whoever resprayed the boot didnt align the C 4 3 letters and the AMG logo. Not really noticeable, but once you know about it you cant see past it! Cosmetic but important! I have no idea why the boot was resprayed... maybe a rogue golf ball...? Oh and that rear panel on the inside of the boot was missing too...

So - nothing too frightening on the PPI - all good for a car with this mileage. The only other cause for concern that I had was the ABS / EPS lights blinked on once - whilst i was driving up a cobble stoned laneway - and then would not turn off despite a few engine restarts. Eventually they went off, when I floored the thing - that fixed them. Back on the computer and no real indicative fault - something about steering sensor or perhaps abs yaw sensor (that one is an expensive fix..) - any ideas on this?

Otherwise- I just have to get the price right and then I can share the pleasure and sometimes pain of owning one of these. Its a 98 compliance but MY99 c43, 171,000km.

(almost an owner)
Attached Thumbnails dealers, ppis and pics-interior1-w.jpg   dealers, ppis and pics-ext-front-w.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006 | 10:38 AM
ON PROBATION

Buy it, buy it, buy it! LOL

The weaseliest of the weasely car salesmen do well at used car sales -- for the obvious reasons....

Nice salesman do exist and are encountered from time to time, and I think that I have met either four or five in the last 10 years. They usually don't last forever in the business.

I do not believe that a nice Sales Manager exists - or would ever even get the position. Their job is to be an a$$hole - accent on the $$(!).

I have met and know two GM's and two Owners who are actually nice guys, and car enthusiasts.

The above are the exceptions out of the literally hundreds that I have met, done business with, or have attempted to do business with....

Last edited by ClayJ; 02-13-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2006 | 06:59 AM

none right now
*grumbles*

Well, Im expecting that dealer to ring me back some time before the end of the month - or likely earlier if they find another potential buyer

There are some better pictures of the car here on the seller site: http://carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2842650&curr ent_rec=1&total_rec=3&sort_type=1&make_id=12&model _id=1863&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

Hehehe - if you look closely enough at the rear shot you can see that the boot has been resprayed and they didnt quite line up the letters C 4 3 and the AMG logos. Funny.

In the meantime I might go test drive some 93-94 sl500s. I am grumpy though I did like that C43. Its not over yet.

Last edited by feeny; 02-15-2006 at 07:02 AM.