C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

best suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
If you have the $$$$ and time, and you are obsessed about making something definetely better, go for it. Like I always say here, I just feel privilidged to own this piece machine, and will keep it stock.

My wife's aunt runs a foreign car shop, this shop is has been around for 45 years in our town, she is the newest employee in the shop, and she has been there for 30 years. Owner is 75 and still working hard. One piece of mind they gave me was "more mods you do to a car, more likely you will have a problem". I have every reason to believe them, just by knowing how long they have been fixing and maintaining AMG cars, BMWs, Jaguars, Ferraris, RRoyces and so on...
I hope you modders have all the good luck with your cars. Be safe.

Originally Posted by DB79
Thanks...Everyone views and uses their cars for diffenent things. I'm one of the ones that always needs to improve on what the car were manufactured with. Suspension has been and always will be the first mod that is done to all my cars, excpet for one up to this point. That's because suspension mods will disable the DRC. After the car is capable of safely handling higher speeds more power is applied to it. Even if I owned a Ferrari, I already have a list of things that I would do to it. Some might think I'm , but the others know exactly where I'm coming from.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM

1999 C43
Here South GA is like Florida, nice and straight roads. I feel for you.

Originally Posted by Chappy
The roads in North Georgia beg for a quality sport suspension. I had two SLK55s following me for a good part of the twisty sections on the four-hour jaunt....we were only running 7/10 or 8/10ths. Anything more that that and the Speedybenz setup would be an asset.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Almost a Member!

1978 Yugo "AMG" twinturbo
Hey Vardar! This is not like other forums man, lot of people are rich here, or seriously obsessed about doing something to their cars, and work very hard for it. It's their money, time and car. I agree with you on leaving your vehicle stock. Benz and AMG built something nice, why mess with it? But then again, it's their money and time again....

About the *****? I hate fake ones too good one

Originally Posted by Vardar
If you have the $$$$ and time, and you are obsessed about making something definetely better, go for it. Like I always say here, I just feel privilidged to own this piece machine, and will keep it stock.

My wife's aunt runs a foreign car shop, this shop is has been around for 45 years in our town, she is the newest employee in the shop, and she has been there for 30 years. Owner is 75 and still working hard. One piece of mind they gave me was "more mods you do to a car, more likely you will have a problem". I have every reason to believe them, just by knowing how long they have been fixing and maintaining AMG cars, BMWs, Jaguars, Ferraris, RRoyces and so on...
I hope you modders have all the good luck with your cars. Be safe.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM

1998 C43(gone, will be missed), Current car = CES Stage 2 Turbo M3
Great! You didn't respond to this, I cannot wait to read it: "How many times you race your 4 door sports sedan with other cars to see the difference on suspension without getting caught by a cop?"

First off quite often im sorry If I dont see your point as I pointed out it has nothing to do with racing other cars I like twisties where did I say it was racing next to another car? Also Im sure I can notice the difference just following a M3 into a turn and he blasts through it while I fight with my car to just try to hang. I also fail to see the point in how you point out if it was meant that way AMG would have thought of it, our cars are old new parts have come out dare I say improvements over the luxury sports crap in the car now? Also what if we cant afford a ferrari? sure as hell makes more sense to throw some moeny in suspension so we can have a somewhat ferrari feel without the 200k pricetag.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:53 PM

1999 C43
Originally Posted by C43silver
First off quite often im sorry If I dont see your point as I pointed out it has nothing to do with racing other cars I like twisties where did I say it was racing next to another car? Also Im sure I can notice the difference just following a M3 into a turn and he blasts through it while I fight with my car to just try to hang. I also fail to see the point in how you point out if it was meant that way AMG would have thought of it, our cars are old new parts have come out dare I say improvements over the luxury sports crap in the car now? Also what if we cant afford a ferrari? sure as hell makes more sense to throw some moeny in suspension so we can have a somewhat ferrari feel without the 200k pricetag.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Still waiting for the invite to come up and get a ride.Do I have to wait until 2006 AMGFest for a ride?

Originally Posted by c55m8o
Lol... that's ok. You're entitled to your opinion. But I ran my car with the 'lift kit' stock suspension for 6 1/2 years [happy with a similar, though less unyielding, view as you for I'd say about four] and I'll offer mine.

You just have to be an enthusiest to appreciate it. Though this suspension is true racing parts, it amazingly is -=so=- much more drivable and pleasing on the roads then stock or any other aftermarket suspension kit. Anyone who thinks 'racing suspension' means 'beat you up in the seat' with rock hard suspension having no compliance could not be further from the trueth.

With the separately adjustable compression from rebound adjustment, we can run a low & compliant compression adjustment rate and very high rebound rate to allow for both great onroad manners to road irregularities, but control the springs like no other on rebound. [you would -never- know I'm running 950lb/in springs up front] Yet with quick response to road irregularities, the dual digressive/digressive valving does its thing like the stock AMG suspension too to counteract slow frequency motion of the suspension.

The stock suspension like all others is a compromise with its single valving rate; it's too stiff/hard on road irregularities, and not stiff enough on wheel rebound. Trust me, I know; the stock suspension beats you up more then this suspension. As Jeff had put it once about this kit. It's amazing how if you try to push down on the car to compress the suspension, you might bend the steel of the body before you move the car, but on the road it just soaks up the irregularities and keeps the wheels on the ground like no other.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

99 C43, 03 RS6, 00 RC51
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Still waiting for the invite to come up and get a ride.Do I have to wait until 2006 AMGFest for a ride?

Since you're giving out rides, I would like one too. It would help me decide if I should start saving up my pennies.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:22 PM

c43
if you're every i so cal let the guys here know, cause we all want rides too!!!!! and lower car is also a safer car, a car with lower center of grav is easier to get under control since there is less body roll, I'm glad I got it for that very reason, I just feel like I can push it more without worrying about eating it....
Old 03-14-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Great! You didn't respond to this, I cannot wait to read it: "How many times you race your 4 door sports sedan with other cars to see the difference on suspension without getting caught by a cop?"
??? That comeback is weird...

I'll only speak for myself, but the only hard driving I do is when there's noone around on either a hiway or on backroads in very barren areas. Racing someone either flat out on a hiway with other cars are around or on backroads where people live is a recipie for disaster. I lived it decades ago. Hope others learn fom my mistakes.

edit: 7/10ths & 8/10ths ... I'm down for that too though.

Last edited by c55m8o; 03-14-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM

c43
those mistakes would be? please explain
Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by C43AMG
that's August, right? Should be good by then! right now the car is in 'winter mode' with Nokian Hakappellitta tires on it. The rims need to go back to Kinesis for a $3K revitalization. That should all be done by the summer, so we should be golden by then...

edit: oh crap, I just realized, I might be going to Hungary this August... dang, I hope I'm around for the meet this year! I wish a date was set so I could plan around it.

edit: DB79 ,sure thing. I have a buddy that likes to go to a dyno shop in CT. He's wanted to compare his C55 against my C55 against a former C43 owner we know who now has a W203 C55, to check out how the engines compare. (he has a pre-11:1 compression engine; we believe mine is a post 2001 11:1 engine) So maybe, if you're in that part of CT, and we're there, we could meet. (ya, a lot of 'ifs' )

Last edited by c55m8o; 03-14-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
those mistakes would be? please explain
I'll just say the hiway was closed for a long long time, for a really long stretch of road.

Last edited by c55m8o; 03-14-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Almost a Member!

99 C43, 03 RS6, 00 RC51
edit: DB79 ,sure thing. I have a buddy that likes to go to a dyno shop in CT. He's wanted to compare his C55 against my C55 against a former C43 owner we know who now has a W203 C55, to check out how the engines compare. (he has a pre-11:1 compression engine; we believe mine is a post 2001 11:1 engine) So maybe, if you're in that part of CT, and we're there, we could meet. (ya, a lot of 'ifs' )
I'm assuming that you are talking about ICS. I work right down the road from them. Let me know next time you are up there
Old 03-14-2006, 06:14 PM

c43
I'll just say the hiway was closed for a long long time, for a really long stretch of road.
did you kill anyone?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
did you kill anyone?
ohh nooo ; no ambulances.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
LOL! Wow, everything you said is French to me. Good luck with your upgrades. Like I said, no offense to anyone, I like my car stock. I am already an enthusiast (sorry if I misspelled it)about this car. I will not ruin(my opinion) the wehicle by lowering it or adding supercharger, replacing with bigger engine. It's like having your lady getting fake **** to me while she has absolutely perfect ones......
There is actually more than one way of looking at this. If you look at the European spec C43s, you will probably notice that they do not ride at the same height as the US spec ones--they ride lower, especially in the front. One could argue that a US spec C43 is therefore modified from the manufacturer's original design, and the reason for this may not be in line with everyone's driving priorities.

Rather than "ruining" it, one could view a conservative lowering of the stock US spec C43 to be "restoring it to the spec intended by the manufacturer."

Personally, I found the stock suspension to be too harsh on sharper surface changes. I now run Eibach springs on Koni adjustable shocks (at the softest setting), and find that the ride is considerably more compliant. That was my first priority. My second was appearance, as the stock suspension was too high for my taste, with no apparent benefit from the extra height. Improved handling feel was not a high priority, but I was pleasantly surprised by those results as well. A win-win-win, in my case.

Regards,

e harmon
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
All told, what did that setup cost you? You are happy with the handling even with the Koni's on softest setting?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should read this I think its funny that Jeff drove his car to the track, ran a few laps, and drove it home. Where as a lot of the cars he raced against were trailered in and they couldn't keep up with him. It has to do with Jeff's (speedybenz) custom suspension set up and the fact that he's also a good driver.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
the US spec AMGs uses longer springs due to bumper height regulation and this in terms limited AMG's original intend for the suspension setup. The US spec doesn't handle nearly as well even tho it does have a softer spring setup that suits the American style of driving. Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser are all listed as manufacturers in Germany, not just tuners. Would using their parts make the car less reliable? NO.

If you don't like to mod your car then that's fine, but why knock on people that does just because they don't see your point?

For myself, I thought that the C32 suspension was the best thing I've driven on when I first got the car. BUT over time with the occational spirited driving on empty mountain roads increase the need to change the suspension was appearant. 1. the stock suspension on the C32 like the C43 is using softer and longer springs than the Euro spec cars which handicapped the handling limit and caused a lot of understeer going into a turn. 2. the ride was overly harsh so I made the switch to RENNtech springs after tons of research and comments from the people who have used them. 3. I now moved on to the TEIN SS coilovers to get rid of the bumpy ride while making the car also look better and yes the coilover is much much more compliant and further increase the handling ability that the springs and shocks couldn't do.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:56 AM

1999 C43
Hello FrankW! Me and other guys are still waiting for your response about the front brakes.

You mentioned "LOL...a new E55 V8 kompressor engine is about $30-35k. the C43 engine doesn't cost that much. A Brabus 6.1L V8 is only $32k minus the labor and they cost more than the AMG V8.

front rotors and pads cost around $300, not $900. All the MB now all have 2 filters buy the K&N or Green Filter so you don't have to replace them and only needs to clean them."

Well... Where can we find those $300 front brake set?
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by FrankW
the US spec AMGs uses longer springs due to bumper height regulation and this in terms limited AMG's original intend for the suspension setup. The US spec doesn't handle nearly as well even tho it does have a softer spring setup that suits the American style of driving. Brabus, Carlsson, and Lorinser are all listed as manufacturers in Germany, not just tuners. Would using their parts make the car less reliable? NO.

If you don't like to mod your car then that's fine, but why knock on people that does just because they don't see your point?

For myself, I thought that the C32 suspension was the best thing I've driven on when I first got the car. BUT over time with the occational spirited driving on empty mountain roads increase the need to change the suspension was appearant. 1. the stock suspension on the C32 like the C43 is using softer and longer springs than the Euro spec cars which handicapped the handling limit and caused a lot of understeer going into a turn. 2. the ride was overly harsh so I made the switch to RENNtech springs after tons of research and comments from the people who have used them. 3. I now moved on to the TEIN SS coilovers to get rid of the bumpy ride while making the car also look better and yes the coilover is much much more compliant and further increase the handling ability that the springs and shocks couldn't do.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:21 PM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by VAamg
All told, what did that setup cost you? You are happy with the handling even with the Koni's on softest setting?
The springs were ~$250 from Bekkers and the shocks were ~$550 from PureMS. I am thrilled with the handling with the Koni's on the softest setting, running stock staggered 17" Monos and Falken ST115s. With the progressive Eibachs, the damping is just how I like it: negligible body roll, relatively light on its feet and no bounce. I feel the limits of the car with this setup are way higher than one could sanely use on the street.

Regards,

e harmon
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 PM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by FrankW
The US spec doesn't handle nearly as well even tho it does have a softer spring setup that suits the American style of driving.

1. the stock suspension on the C32 like the C43 is using softer and longer springs than the Euro spec cars which handicapped the handling limit and caused a lot of understeer going into a turn.

I found the stock C43 springs to be long but by no means soft.

Would you happen to know if they are linear, and their specified rate?

Regards,

e harmon
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
The stck US suspension sux!!!!!!! These cars here certainly don't handle like the Euro versions I understand.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by DB79
I'm assuming that you are talking about ICS. I work right down the road from them. Let me know next time you are up there
Yep Steve's talking about ICS.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Yep Steve's talking about ICS.
OT, I know... Carl (and Marc of you read this) I still wanna do that trip. However I can't go dyno until I get my rims back from repair and put summer tires on. There's no way I can get traction on the dyno drum with these mushy [Nokian] snow tires on. BTW, you going to Tobay Fest 06 this Sunday?
http://www.amgpower.com/community/vi...528&highlight=

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best suspension setup?