C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Couple of good C43 owner reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
Couple of good C43 owner reviews

1)Having been fortunate to have had a succession of fine, fast cars - my wife became pregnant with our second child.

This imminent arrival meant that my then-current car (a '96 Porsche 911 C4) probably wouldn't fit any more. The backseats are fine for kids to sit, but then there's nowhere to put all their paraphernalia, you see...

As someone who changes his car at least once a year, I viewed the new baby as an opportunity for another purchase, so off we went on the hunt.

I usually have an aversion to 4 door cars - so the first port of call was BMW, where I tested a series of M3s - Coupes and Convertibles.
While undoubtedly quick and nice, I could never live with that featherlight steering - nor the slightly brash image - so we went to Lexus. Unfortunately, my wife hated the GS300 looks.

So maybe an imported STi Subaru Impreza WRX? Undoubtedly a Good Car. At least as quick in real terms as the 911, but a very cheap interior, and it all felt a bit lightweight.
So did the Impreza 22B.
And the Mitsubishi EVO VI.
Maybe a Jaguar XJR?
No. Just too big.

As a very last resort, I went to Mercedes to look for an SL, or maybe a CE (I don't like the look of the CLK).

And this is where I saw my new car. A Metallic Black AMG C43 with a black and silver interior.
A short test drive later, and we were discussing p/x and finance. This thing was THAT good.

Ultimately, I know it's probably not as quick as my 911s had been. Ultimately, the steering is probably no better than that of the M3. Ultimately, it's not as nimble as the Subarus or EVOs.
Nor is it as luxurious as the Jags and Lexus. But this thing is so much more than the sum of its parts.

Being an automatic shift - and a very good automatic (it uses a modified 500SL 'box)- it tends to flatter your driving, as you usually find yourself in the right gear - and it downshifts better than I do.
The kick that this thing has is truly unbelievable. Again - I compare to the 911, and this feels faster.

Practically, my son loves it (he can see out of the window) - and my daughter probably will too (she's too young to opine at present).

The quality of fixture, fitting, and finish is absolutely top notch. The upholstery has that matt finish that Mercedes leather always has, and a year later - it still looks new.

The C43 is different to the 'normal' C class in a number of ways. Under the skin, AMG take the 4.3 litre V8 seen in E Classes, S Classes, and M Class vehicles, tune and tamper with the cylinder heads, add 16 platinum-tipped spark plugs (thankfully they have a 100,000 mile warranty - they cost over $25 each to replace!) to make it produce 305 bhp. They then mate this to the aforementioned strengthened 500SL 5 speed gearbox.
Moving under the car, they tune and lower the suspension, add 13inch fully floating vented front discs and 11 inch rears, and place the resultant chassis on 17 inch monoblock wheels. The exhaust system is custom built, culminating in twin chrome tailpipes. Heaven knows how much that'll cost to replace!
Externally, a curvy bodykit is added, consisting of a front spoiler with foglamps and brake vents, side skirts and a rear underbody spoiler. The black/silver leather trim is another C43 feature - although a single tone black leather is available as is a duotone black/blue. The front seats are replaced with fully powered sports units, including power 2 stage lumbar support, and adjustable side bolsters. These seats are fun enough without even driving!
The C43 replaced the old AMG C36, which was a similar idea, but used a 3.6 litre straight six, and had a different bodykit.

My particular car has the 'Sport' trim (I insisted that the dealer remove the 'Sport' badge from the flank. What this translates to is that instead of plastic inserts painted to look like wood, it has plastic inserts painted to look like carbon fibre. The same effect is used on the C pillars. I can't say I like this much, but then I don't really dislike it either. I've not seen any US models with this trim - maybe it's Europe-only - but then they only made 1500 C43s worldwide in 1999, so perhaps you just don't see many of them fullstop. I've certainly never seen another one outside of a dealership.

The justification for the exorbitant cost price is not the bodywork or interior - either of which can be specified on regular C classes, but the engineering on the motor and chassis. The resultant sub 6 second 0-60 time and electronically limited top speed of 155mph speak for themselves.

Therefore, it has a very subtle, stealthy image - only attracting attention from true enthusiasts - and is fantastically secure. It really feels like a safe drive, both passively (airbags all over it, crumple zones, blah blah), and actively (very surefooted).

I also told my wife that the car would be relatively economical (again, compared to the 911s, where a $2000 service was the norm...)
The C43 has a two year/usage-based service interval, and routine servicing starts at less than $200.
It has a 30 year recovery warranty, and a two year factory warranty.
It also shares many body parts with any C Class, so repair and insurance costs should be lower. (In the event, the insurance worked out the same in the UK, so no gain there).
I even thought I'd save money on tyres as opposed to the doughnuts on the 911s (In fact - the tyre sizes on the Benz are IDENTICAL - 205/40/17ZR Front and 245/40/17ZR Rear).

Oh well... I do still think it will be cheaper long-term than any of my other cars have been.

Talking of other cars, after I've had my cars for a while, I like to find their one unique feature - the one feature I wish all cars had. Let me explain (these are very personal things, you understand)-

My BMW 325 had extendable underthigh support
Volvo T5R had a plastic clip on the windscreen for holding parking permits
Porsche 944S2 dash lights were selective
Saab 900 Turbo16 ? Recessed sills.
911 (964) had a little luminous dot painted on the inside door handles (invaluable in a dark garage).
911 (993) had a leather owners manual (q.v.)

And this Mercedes? Well it has that 305 bhp V8, it snarls, and hits 110 before your son can tell you to slow down.

I hate to sound like an acolyte of Benz, but it really is the best car I've owned.

I do, however, have two criticisms.

The owner's manual covers all models from the base C180 up. Now I don't want to be a snob, but this thing cost me 50,000. Pounds Sterling. And I think they could have produced a slightly nicer - and more focussed manual for it! I know they don't make a lot of these things, but the C43 seems to be treated as an afterthought here, and there's insufficient information regarding tyre pressures, technical specs, etc.

And the other pain is when you wash it. It has so many water traps (window trim, rubbing strips, skirts, fluting on mirrors, etc), that it is impossible to prevent water gathering and then dripping out later to leave unsightly marks (being black - every mark shows). Newer-designed cars seem to eliminate these traps.

Anyway, I've had it a year now and I can't even say I'm getting itchy feet yet.

Although I did recently test an E55 - and I saw a one-off C55 a week or so ago...

2)My wife thought I was nuts -- a 6 year old car???? OK OK. This is not just a car, and if you find one that hasn't been abused, and can afford it, BUY it. This is a stealth sleeper. It's a baby Benz packed w/ more punches than a prize fighter. V-8, 5-speed computer-variable automatic, ESP computerized steering/brake assist and the list goes on. But you can read a spec sheet for that stuff. What is really impressive is that after 6 years, everything works like it's brand new, and there isn't so much as a squeak or rattle. I can tell the prior (and only prior) owner took good car of this car, and made sure nobody smoked inside it -- the ash trays are pristine, there isn't a hint of lingering tobacco tar or other residues, and I'm going to keep it that way. What's more, this AMG was a VERY limited edition (1,500 worldwide per year from '98-'00) and could become a rare/collector item. Finally, based on everything I have learned about the car in 8 months of ownership is that at 55 years old, I could kick myself for not getting into a Benz sooner.

So let me add some particulars, because this is a car that teaches you how to drive as much as you learn to drive it:

Overall performance: performance for the "good driver" is enhanced if you (a) turn off all the accessories (sound system, climate control...) and (b) engage the "ESP. This both maximizes available power and engages the computerized turning/traction assist system. Why? With the beefed up suspension and nearly drag-slick standard issue tires, you'd need a test track to match the performance specs, and your typical urban pock-marked roadway surface simply plays havoc with performance.

Acceleration: The info I found on line says w/ a manual it does 0-60 in the low 5.xx secs and with the automatic in the high 5.xx's. To be totally blunt I have yet to find a straightaway that I have been able to take it from a total stop as such. All I do know is that pulling away from a dead stop I'm at 40+ in about 2.5 secs -- the rest of the way to 60'ish is what remains to happen. But in moving traffic the passing power is instantaneous and flooring it kicks it down a gear from wherever you are and the rpms transfer very smoothly. Beware: the car requires snow tires for that weather, and don't try any tricks on slick (wet especially) new asphalt, or you'll be spinning in place with a tap of the pedal.

Braking: I don't have a stopwatch. And I don't have a lead foot. Easing up on the gas causes the car to downshift remarkably well so you can glide to a stop in moving traffic. I have had to make one emergency stop, however, on a wet road after nightfall, when an idiot in front of me stopped right in the center lane to make an illegal left (into a McDonald's). I didn't even have to slam on the brakes; the car gripped the road and stopped well before impact. Not so lucky for me though; the driver behind me didn't and I wound up w/ a new bumper cover out of it. And the stop was straight -- no veer, which I've found under just about every condition. The tire size and summer tread in particular put a lot more rubber on the road for stopping. The only negative is that you are stopping about 1.5 tons and w/ 4-wheel discs, I can tell I'll be replacing the fronts routinely.

Steering: immediate response, and w/ ESP on I take even the sharpest curve like a pro. The ESP light, in the center of the dash, is BRIGHT amber like a caution sign with an exclamation mark in its middle -- I almost wish it was the other way around like some 'overdrive' systems: on all the time except when you disengage it when the light would then come on more as a warning. But the Germans remain spartan and basic -- it's off for the serious driver unless you need it on. When I bought the car I didn't know that the front and rear rims were different sizes, and the dealer had rotated them (moron), and the steering pulled a lot especially at intersections where the pavement (asphalt especially) was worn and grooved. When I bought my snow tires a month after buying the car at the beginning of winter where I live(I also am VERY impressed by the Vikings I bought -- they are Norwegian snow tires and they have a LOT of snow and in winter you can use the same size tire front and rear because the maximum recommended speed on them is 118 compared w/ 155+ on the "summer" tires/slicks) the tire dealer laughed but reversed the rims and steering is 100% improved: make sure you have the rims where they belong.

Handling: The car seems to handle better as speed increases!?!? Not so much as a shimmy at (oops, can't say, it may be well over the legal limit but I guess I could say I had a last clear chance passing situation, right?) mph. Even w/o ESP, it takes hard entry/exit ramps with hardly a lean, but beware rough surfaces as the rear end will bounce out if you're really flying. The ESP therefore helps 'correct' any under/oversteer issues.

Safety: The front seat passengers are particularly well-protected for the year of this car, with front and side air bags standard issue. I also feel safer as the car is just over 1.5 tons.

Pleasant/unexpected surprises: HUGE trunk w/ fold-down rear seating; Bose sound system; rain-sensing wiper; infra-red key can open/close all windows/moonroof simultaneously; every window as auto down AND up; platinum window tinting; smart climate control - auto feature doesn't blast you w/ hot air before the a/c kicks in and vice versa in winter; and the a/c is ice cold as you'd like it; orthopedic seat adjustments (very very nice); that "German leather" smell that's as fresh as the day it rolled off the line.

Drawbacks (worth overlooking): tight rear seating if you put the front seats all the way back; harsher than normal C-class ride on the summer tires; cost for Mercedes parts (that replacement bumper cover w/ paint, etc. ran nearly $1,500 in part because of the trim level of the C43, but other C class parts do work); cruise control poorly located next to turn signal; the integrated phone it came w/ is an analog phone so it won't work; higher than average road noise (in part due to the tires); and as a German car for its vintage it lacks a few of the "luxury" cherry-on-top items that more current models have such as dual front climate control and mirror/seating combos you can program for different drivers.

In the end, the car will probably cost more in some ways to maintain (in others not -- 110k plugs, 10k oil change intervals, and insurance was surprisingly modest because of the safety features and history of the car), but if you can afford to keep it the way it should be kept, I'd say this: if I could find another one I'd buy it too, and probably garage it.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:24 AM

you are right ....memory seats and a trip computer would make it a nicer vehicle... but still not really necessary.

However I find the backseat leg distance too short..even if you dont push the front seats all the way back...its not very confortable for an adult to sit in the back....especialy for long trips.

I think w210 E55 would make a better family car...with larger memory seats...dual climate control and a trip computer avaliable also.

However w202 C43 definitely looks sportier and nicer in my opinion..and would be the choice if one doest usually have passengers in backseats. But still E55 is faster. low 5.xx vs. high 5.xx in acceleration 0-60. and possibly a better puller.

I havent had a chance to test-drive a engine swapped C55 ...ppl who have done this says its like day and night comparing to C43..and I do believe them..its lighter than E55 and have the same power.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by Substance
- memory seats and a trip computer would make it a nicer vehicle... but still not really necessary.
-I think w210 E55 would make a better family car...with larger memory seats...dual climate control and a trip computer avaliable also.
-I havent had a chance to test-drive a engine swapped C55 ...ppl who have done this says its like day and night comparing to C43..and I do believe them..its lighter than E55 and have the same power.
Ya, I would like memory seats, but the trip computer I can do w/o. (I do have the COMAND, and it's grrrreat!) I can't believe I haven't asked Steve MBenzNL if it's possible (or maybe I did ask but I just don't remember the answer ... ...that's a possibility) If it's possible, I'll decided I'm going to ask him install it.

The reason I personally didn't get a W210 E55 in about 2000 is it didn't have fold-down seats, primarily; secondarily the wife and I didn't like the dark wood interior. But I use fold-down often, so that's important to me. When I was in Dusseldorf in about 2001 for work, my wife couldn't drag me out of the MB dealership where I was drooling over a Black Opel W210 E55 Wagon... Man I wish.

Yes, better power to weight and it has shorter gearing too, so... You're in MA. Come down to MB headquarters this year for the 2nd annual MB/AMG 'Fest this summer and just maybe... Pete (55fanatic) from your neck of the woods organizes it.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Steve the more I drive this car the more I love it.It's a beast and I think it would make a W210 E 55 owner wish he owned it.The power in my car is phenominal.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:45 AM

1999 C43
I was addicted to trip computer with my last SAAB, I loved it. I could kinda control the fuel consumption and other things..

What is COMAND? aftermarket trip computer?

Thank you

Originally Posted by c55m8o
Ya, I would like memory seats, but the trip computer I can do w/o. (I do have the COMAND, and it's grrrreat!)
Old 04-27-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by Vardar
I was addicted to trip computer with my last SAAB, I loved it. I could kinda control the fuel consumption and other things..
What is COMAND? aftermarket trip computer?
Thank you
New to MBs are we...? EDIT: Strike that. I just realized who I was responding to, and I know the answer...

OEM Navigation, taking on many different forms over the years. < Click Me > I once saw a page that had every style pictured but can't find that now.

Trip computer is not part of my COMAND at least. I think that's part of the car's computer. My car didn't come with Either. Steve MBenzNL modded my car and installed the COMAND that comes from the (prev. gen.) ML.

Click my MBenzNL on Board link in my sig .
Old 04-27-2006, 11:23 AM

1999 C43
Just PMed you!

Originally Posted by c55m8o
New to MBs are we...? EDIT: Strike that. I just realized who I was responding to, and I know the answer...

OEM Navigation, taking on many different forms over the years. < Click Me > I once saw a page that had every style pictured but can't find that now.

Trip computer is not part of my COMAND at least. I think that's part of the car's computer. My car didn't come with Either. Steve MBenzNL modded my car and installed the COMAND that comes from the (prev. gen.) ML.

Click my MBenzNL on Board link in my sig .