C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Reliability and Maintanance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reliability and Maintanance

Hello and greeting,

This is my first post on MBWorld, and hoprfully you guys will be able to answer a few of my questions.

I am currently in a market for a C43; however having never owned a AMG MB, I do have some concerns about it's overall reliablity. Please fill me in if there are any notable and common problems these vehicles tend to suffer.

Secondly, this being an AMG vehicle, will maintanance and parts increase significantly? As a former BMW M owner, I find that many M parts are priced higher than non-M cars; and given the limited availability of C43s in the US market, should I expect to pay a higher premium for service and replacement parts?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:38 AM

Mercedes C43 AMG
Hi,

I've had my C43 for 4 years now (98 model with 48k miles) and so far haven't had any major problems. The car has been under warranty and I have the extended 7yr 100k warranty. Do you plan to look for a car with warranty left?

In the 4 years, the only things that have failed is the O2 sensor, and the fuel tank level sensor, which are pretty cheap parts and they were under warranty anyway. I've paid much more for tires, which wear out quickly on the car and routine tire alignment is recommended to prolong tire life. I've replaced the front rotors too for about $300.

However, I've heard that some C43 have transmission problems. Apparently, some 1st year cars had to have their tranny reprogrammed. I've heard two cases of blown tranny at around 60k miles, which costs about $6k to fix. So if you plan to buy a C43, make sure that the tranny is okay.

Routine service can be expensive. About $200+ for A service and $300+ for a B service. At least the interval is quite long. And they don't do very much at the A service too. But overall I've had good experience with the service centers. More professional than BMW I've heard.

By the way, I have the Plantinum extended warranty. Does anyone know if this warranty is transferrable to another owner?

Anyway, hope this help and good luck.

Baron

Last edited by baron; 08-12-2002 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
my fuel level sensor also gave. dealer told me i needed to drive more. the c36/c43 has a lot of parts borrowed from existing cars. other than the hand built engine, other things shouldn't be as bad as a bmw m car pricewise. but the flip side is mb dealers are always overcharging (albeit the service is good) for simple things and services.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:24 AM

'97 C 280, '06 ML350
another quick question...

as far as the performance of the car, does anyone feel that there car has lost a little power maybe? just not as quick as it used to be? i am also considering an AMG vehicle and just wanted to know how the performance holds up after time.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
Re: another quick question...

Originally posted by jamesp
as far as the performance of the car, does anyone feel that there car has lost a little power maybe? just not as quick as it used to be? i am also considering an AMG vehicle and just wanted to know how the performance holds up after time.
not really, these n/a amg engines feel so relaxed and at ease when running through the revs...guess that's what happens when u hand build them...

funny thing is, my dad only managed 15.0 sec 1/4mile times...i mean common...my wagon runs faster than that....(same day same track drag race)
Old 08-30-2002, 10:46 AM

'97 C 280, '06 ML350
thanks a bunch Steve

it appears as though you feel they will age gracefully! that is very reassuring. this is a topic not many people are willing to comment on for some reason. that had me wondering if people were experiencing performance loss or other mechanical problems. thanks for the info.