C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Yet another engine swap thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another engine swap thread

Long time lurker, first time poster I'm looking to step into the AMG world, and one of the options I really like is getting a C43 and doing an engine swap to 55. My first question is whether this can be done with the 203 C55 engine or only the 210 E55. The second is, given the tendency (at least that I've detected from other peoples posts) for the transmission to act up around 80k, I'm inclined to go with a lower mileage C43 for a higher price, even though I plan to take the engine out. It isn't in my budget to swap the engine and the tranny, at least not immediately. Given my love of the autocross (and my childish desire to destroy my friend's modded S4), I'm thinking something around 50k miles, drop in either the E55 or C55 (if the latter is possible), and then a speedybenz suspension if I have enough left over in my budget. A Quaife LSD is a possibility later down the line If there are any better ideas out there for an AMG autocrosser, I'm open to suggestions on that as well.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:45 AM

1999 C43
Hello! And welcome to the forums sir!

Just curious, what is wrong with C43 engine itself? Did you drive it yet?

It sounds like you load your meal with a lot of salt and pepper before you taste it, you don't even have a meal yet.. Like I said I am just curious..
Thank you

Originally Posted by Zensliev
Long time lurker, first time poster I'm looking to step into the AMG world, and one of the options I really like is getting a C43 and doing an engine swap to 55.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 AM

Well, there's nothing wrong with the C43 engine, but there's very little I can do save a kleeman sc to get the horsepower/torque out of the C43 to match my friend's S4 (chipped & exhaust: est. around 450 each - hasn't been dyno'd yet) and somewhere in the next year or so he will probably upgrade his turbos to K04's. I figure doing the engine swap now and the suspension upgrade to keep me turning on the track will put me ahead of him, and when it comes time for him to upgrade his turbos, I'll be ready to go kleeman sc on the 55 engine. This is all in theory, of course, as I'm not completely tied down to the C43 to begin with - I just love the sleeper body style.

I know it's really childish and superficial to spend so much money just to compete with a friend, but he's the kind of guy who rubs it in your face without overtly saying anything so you can't call him out on it... drives me nuts! As my main focus is the autocross, all the hp/torque may not even be necessary and the added weight may actually put me at a disadvantage, but I have no idea without taking one out on a course myself. If someone else out there actually has risked their baby's life on the autocross, let me know how she handled, as I have the suspicion any sellers would be hesitant to let me 'test drive' it on a track
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Almost a Member!

99 C43, 03 RS6, 00 RC51
Well, there's nothing wrong with the C43 engine, but there's very little I can do save a kleeman sc to get the horsepower/torque out of the C43 to match my friend's S4 (chipped & exhaust: est. around 450 each - hasn't been dyno'd yet) and somewhere in the next year or so he will probably upgrade his turbos to K04's.
Your friend is no where close to 450hp with just a chip and exhaust. Strong S4's with K04's/fueling/exhaust/etc... are only putting down 410-430 awhp.

Go with the engine swap, you can never have enough HP. On tight autocross tracks traction will be a problem coming out of the corners without LSD.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
I won't ever say don't do the engine swap; just look @ my sig and the links under them (I'll assume you already have, as you say you've been lurking). But if your objective is to have a killer autoX car move then anything else -- where the course is tight and speeds kinda 'low' -- you'd spend your money more wisely if you start with speedybenz, and just spend it on the speedybenz suspension plus other weight saving things like carbon fiber hood, fenders, trunk, lighter battery. YOur problem will be traction off the corners; the audi is a no brainer. Consider LSD. Then do thing like take out the rear spare and you can even loose the AC. Goes without saying light rims but more importantly, light -tires- (I did a big analysis posted on this site-- a 1lb lighter tire is worth several pounds lighter rims ...problem is, few tire manufacturers publish the tire weights.) Kleemann will put even more weight over the front wheels then the 5.4L motor so would be a disadvantage on the autoX course with stock suspension, w/o speedybenz susp. or at least Koni adjustables. I plan on -finally- getting to autoX this year; me hopes.

(I'll sell you my car for $35K )
Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 AM

To DB79: Yeah, that was my mistake, I meant to say 350. Traction is always a problem when considering a big hp boost, so I'm wondering if I go with this plan, if I should go with the suspension first or the lsd, or wait till I can afford both? If I get the lsd first, I can get a lot of power coming out of the turn, but I'll have to slow down going in or risk a spin-out or worse... on the other hand, without lsd I could end up spinning my tires out of every turn, costing me precious seconds. Ack - I hate tough decisions!

c55m8o: That does seem to be the most cost effective option. Though it's one of the best weight-reductions, I'm hesitant to take the seats out as it will also be a daily driver and as lightweight as ricaro's are, I'm not sure if they're comfortable for extended driving. I've never actually sat in one before, so I'm just assuming. CF is always an option, though I rarely see anything available, even on ebay, for the 202s. For now, I think I'm leaning towards just the C43, speedybenz and maybe quaife lsd, and save the engine swap for later if I feel it's still not enough. Again, though, I'm open to any suggestions.

(35k is a bit over my budget, but I look forward to seeing you out there - Benz needs more representers on the autox: I'm sick of all the S4s, M3s, and Civics... ooh, don't even get me started on the Civics...)

Last edited by Zensliev; 04-28-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:20 PM

'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
CF is always an option, though I rarely see anything available, even on ebay, for the 202s. For now, I think I'm leaning towards just the C43, speedybenz and maybe quaife lsd, and save the engine swap for later if I feel it's still not enough. Again, though, I'm open to any suggestions.
just a few notes:
- I was figuring the CF work would be 100% custom; using your parts for creation of the jig. If you have a local person, are serious, lead the way, you can probably lead a group-buy and get a better price.
- I don't think you can get Quaife into our rear pumpkins (too small). I wish/hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Kleemann may be the only route. A few negatives are there's been some question of how effective and reliable (long lasting) they are, plus they no longer allow local installers to install them.

Last edited by c55m8o; 04-28-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Almost a Member!

99 C43, 03 RS6, 00 RC51
For me suspensions is always the first mod. A stock car can get up to speed, maybe not as quickly as a modded one, but either way a good suspension is need to handle this. Between the LSD or suspension, the suspension upgrade would net you a better time difference then just the LSD alone.

Group buy for CF pieces sounds great!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by c55m8o
just a few notes:
- I was figuring the CF work would be 100% custom; using your parts for creation of the jig. If you have a local person, are serious, lead the say, you can probably lead a group-buy and get a better price.
- I don't think you can get Quaife into our rear pumpkins (too small). I wish/hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Kleemann may be the only route. A few negatives are there's been some question of how effective and reliable (long lasting) they are, plus they no longer allow local installers to install them.
I haven't done any research at all into the Quaife with regards to the C43, but I do have a friend who runs a garage - I suppose I can ask him if he thinks it's doable without a whole lot of cutting/removing and other such nastiness. There is also a Benz dealership like 3 blocks from my house, so aside from obnoxious installation prices, it's not an issue to go to them w/ the Kleemann if that's the best/only option.

BTW: thnx for all the input thus far. I'll be out for the rest of the day, but once I get back I'll review any new posts and respond promptly.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DB79
For me suspensions is always the first mod. A stock car can get up to speed, maybe not as quickly as a modded one, but either way a good suspension is need to handle this. Between the LSD or suspension, the suspension upgrade would net you a better time difference then just the LSD alone. Group buy for CF pieces sounds great!
Duh! ya, DB79 you remind me of the third item I wanted to add in my previous post but forgot.

Said as the 1st and only owner of my car since 1999 and knowing it -real- well having driven it hard all those years ...
- coming from a stock C43 suspension,
-- 1st with the weight of the 4.3L motor for 65K miles (with probably 40K mile or more of it w/a broken motor mount)
-- and then with the weight of the 5.4L motor
- then going to the speedybenz suspension ...

I can tell you unequivocally that if you want to storm into turns, brake late, and don't want your car to push (understeer) -bad- right into the cones of a tight autoX course either entering or during the turn, you -want- the speedybenz suspension and a racing shop to do your 4 wheel alignment.

I found with the different alignments I'd driven with since installing the speedybenz kit that front and rear toe has a great effect on balance; Jeff's spec is great at 1/8" total in the rear and 1/16" total in the front. Also very important on balance is track width, if you change your rims. You still should continue to run a narrower track in the rear then the front, but go too narrow in the rear and it's big time oversteer.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

99 C43, 03 RS6, 00 RC51
C55m8o,

You're out on LI right? One of these nice weekends I would like to take a ride out to check out your car. Or if you guys are planning a trip to ICS any time soon let me know.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 PM

Would luv to. But I need to get the winter tires off before I go to ICS ... And I can't do that until I get the Kinesis rims fixed ... and I can't do that until I first ship them to Kinesis (at least I got off my *** and finally boxed them up two weeks ago)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 AM

1999 C43
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Alright - sorry it took me so long to get back, I wound up with a lot of weekend work - anyway, after reviewing all your responses, I've decided to go with the C43+speedybenz combo, plus whatever the highest-rated LSD that can fit in the C43 is, as traction coming out of turns (or at any other time, really) is an important part of the autox. Some weight reductions can be done for free at my friend's garage (I love knowing the right people), and then I'll be ready to hit the track. Of course, having decided all this, there's only one part of the process remaining: finding a low-mileage C43 in what I like to call the "Benzless South-East" ... Thanks for all the helpful advice, and c55m8o, as a former LI resident myself, I may head up there sometime to catch the NE autox scene. The thing I miss most about NY: when the light turns green - people GO! Anyway, I'm off to the hunt! Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice, and c55m8o, as a former LI resident myself, I may head up there sometime to catch the NE autox scene. The thing I miss most about NY: when the light turns green - people GO! Anyway, I'm off to the hunt! Thanks again everyone.
My pleasure.

You must have been in Nassau, because I sure don't see that in the North Western parts of Suffolk where I drive the most... The grass is always greener I guess ... I think the same thing about North Eastern NJ where I came from. People used to -motor- around there. Here, people love to pull-out off a corner w/o stopping @ a stopsign, so you have to slam on the brakes so you don't hit them from behind, then they go 27 - 31 mph ... when I'm lucky.

Good luck with the search. Try eBay, and use something like Carchex to have it checked out before you bid. I just bought a '88 560SL that way. Or come around here. I see a lot on the road, and there's often one @ one of the dealerships around here. When I was looking for an SL I'd use ebay.com, cars.com, and autotrader.com and do nation wide searches. Craigslist is lame and a pain in the ****, because you can't do nationwide searches, and the listings wepages look like they're from 1997.

Last edited by c55m8o; 05-01-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:17 PM

lol, you called it - I'm from North Bellmore specifically, not too far from the dreaded LIE Though I would love to take an unplanned vacation and fly up north again (and get a new benz - talk about a win:win), work will be keeping me stuck down in florida at least till the end of summer. Still, patience is a virtue and I suppose it's far better to wait and see whats available nationwide then rather than settle for something now with higher mileage/cost just because it's local. Anyway, I don't know if this will be your first time autoxing or just your first time with this car, but either way have fun and good luck!