C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 Underarm compartment problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006 | 10:38 AM

1999 C43
C43 Underarm compartment problem

Since I bought this vehicle, I don't think underarm glovebox is working properly. As you know, there are 2 little levers to open top and bottom side. Both those levers only open the top one. I have to stick my finger in that area to open the deeper compartment. There is no visual defects as fas as I see. I mean nothing looks broken.

Any of you guys have that problem?

Thank you in advance
Old 05-02-2006 | 11:33 AM

C43 AMG
got the same problem

I have the same problem. I find that if I lift with the big one while at the same time holding the small one down (i.e. keeping it from moving) then the bottom box will open. The problem seems to be that movement of the big lever is also moving the small one.
Old 05-02-2006 | 11:58 AM

1999 C43
Thank you so much! I will try it at lunch time, and let you know. I hope someone else can address same problem too, cause nothing looks broken, and instructions DOES NOT say hold the little lever while lifting the larger lever..... Unless they did not think about it..

Originally Posted by HLSD
I have the same problem. I find that if I lift with the big one while at the same time holding the small one down (i.e. keeping it from moving) then the bottom box will open. The problem seems to be that movement of the big lever is also moving the small one.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:05 PM

1998 C43, White over two tone
My center console is having the same issue. I couldn't get the damn thing to close for about 20 tries the other day. But opening the big compartment more than half the time only opens the top. My guess is older cars, after getting some use the notches or something are starting to wear down. I notice the problem is especially bad when I have something weighty (cell phone and Ipod) in top compartment.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:53 PM

1999 C43
Done! It is working just fine! I am happy.

Thank you

Originally Posted by HLSD
if I lift with the big one while at the same time holding the small one down (i.e. keeping it from moving) then the bottom box will open.
Old 05-04-2006 | 09:37 PM

1999 C43 AMG
I had the same problem for weeks. Until I decided to disassemble (not to much) and found a Dollar Coin stuck at the bottom of the piston/damper the center console has, probally fell off from the top console. Problem resolved!!! I don't know if this helps but good luck!!!