1998 C43 road test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
1998 C43 road test

Full Test: 1998 Mercedes-Benz C43

Bimmers? I Don't Need No Stinkin' Bimmers!
By B. Grant Whitmore
Date posted: 01-01-1999

There is a question that I like to ask my coworkers and friends: 'What car would you buy if you could only own one vehicle and price was not an object?' Typically, the answer to this question gives me more insight into an individual's personality than I could ever get from hours of late night conversations or water cooler bull sessions. People may project a certain attitude at the club or the workplace that is entirely out of line with their deepest, darkest desires. Take, for example, the young executive who sits in the Edmund's business office. Nattily attired in dark blue suits and cuff links, he is the picture of modern conservatism. The car he would own above all others? That, dear reader, would be the Plymouth Prowler. Hmmm, I gotta' go out for drinks with that guy some night. Then there is our editor-in-chief, a man who races around every turn like he is Jacques Villeneuve at Monte Carlo. A man that went out and bought a Mazda Miata right after his daughter was born. What would he buy if he could only have one vehicle? A Chevrolet K2500 Suburban. It sounds like Mr. Wardlaw is planning on having a few more kids. This question is invariably turned back on me, and my response usually involves some sort of BMW product. Maybe something quick and lithe like an M Roadster. Maybe something fast and comfortable like the 540i six-speed. The car that probably makes the most sense for me, however, is the BMW M3 sedan. It's the one I'd put my money on if forced into a decision, because of its combination of performance and practicality.

That quick answer was blown out of the water last month when I drove a scrappy little auto from Bremen for the first time. Mercedes-Benz is the culprit responsible for my sudden indecision, having the nerve to waylay my well-laid plans for future BMW ownership. The car responsible is not the beautiful CLK Cabriolet, nor the impressive E430 sedan. It's an impertinent four-door that doesn't realize that compact sedans are not supposed to have eight cylinders pounding away under the hood. The car causing me such confusion, folks, is the Mercedes-Benz C43.

The C43 is the 1998 replacement for the AMG-tuned C36 sedan that turned heads and excellent lap times from 1995 through 1997. The C43 is also an AMG product, one designed to make the most of Mercedes' new 4.3-liter V8 engine that first appeared in the E430 sedan and that will soon be powering the ML430 sport-ute, S430 sedan and CL430 coupe. As the name implies, the C43 is based on the same reliable car that sees taxi cab duty throughout most of Europe and yuppie-shuffling duty throughout much of North America. Lest I sound disappointed, let me assure you that I think the C-Class is the perfect platform for a highly tuned racer. Its plebian status in Europe is the result of its high reliability and sound construction. Its demi-riche status in the United States means that it is comfortable and luxurious. Don't let the "C" fool you; the C43 is no more a regular C-Class sedan than I am a millionaire.

See, the engine is tuned differently. AMG takes the stock 4.3-liter V8 engine back to their secret workshop in the haunted caves in Affalterbach, Germany, where a covert clan of fanatical engineers install an air cleaner assembly that increases airflow and is positioned to draw in cooler air for a ram effect. AMG then modifies the magnesium intake manifold, making it wider to further increase airflow. The intake tubes spiral around each cylinder, making them some of the longest in the business. These long tubes cause pressure waves to build up, thereby boosting the intake process and providing excellent mid-range torque. AMG also replaces the camshafts with lighter weight units. This allows the valves, which are the same size as the ones found in the stock V8, to remain open longer, increasing the engine's power. The net result of these modifications is an engine that produces 302 horsepower @ 5,850 rpm and 302 foot-pounds of torque @ 3,250 rpm, up from the stock motor's 275 horsepower and 294 foot-pounds of torque.

In order to manage the C43's higher torque output, AMG has mated the five-speed adaptive transmission from the V12-powered Mercedes to this mighty engine. The unit is designed to learn the driving style of a driver and shift accordingly. Theoretically, this means that aggressive drivers are rewarded with shifts higher in the rev range, thus maximizing power and torque. Conversely, steady, less-aggressive drivers will experience shifts at lower engine speeds, which provides a smoother ride and improves fuel efficiency. Mercedes states that its adaptive transmission adjusts quickly to driver changes, making a fast transition between wannabe racers and Sunday drivers.

The C43 uses the double-wishbone front suspension and five-link rear suspension found on the C280 Sport. To this already durable system, AMG adds higher-rate springs, tauter shock tuning and a solid rear stabilizer bar. Making the most of the suspension are impressive 17-inch wheels shod with fat rubber. These Michelin Pilot treads are staggered in size, featuring lower profile 245/40ZR-17s in the rear, compared to the narrower 225/45ZR-17s in the front. For those not used to figuring tire sizes, this translates into 7.5-inch wide tires at the front corners, 8.5-inch wide tires at the rear.

The C43 benefits from the combined experience of Mercedes and AMG when it comes to stopping power. Four-channel anti-lock disc brakes sit at each wheel to provide quick, sure stops. Grabbed from the European-market E50 (another AMG-tuned car), the C43's brakes are vented internally and feature a 13.2-inch swept diameter for the front discs and an 11.8-inch swept diameter for the rear. To this impressive package, Mercedes adds their new Brake Assist technology that is designed to detect a panic situation by monitoring the movement of the brake pedal. This braking system, like the transmission, is driver adaptable and quickly learns a driver's braking habits, hopefully alleviating any unnecessary emergency stops. Mercedes claims that the Brake Assist-equipped C43 stops from 62 mph in 131 feet.

The C43 features the same quick ratio steering found on the C280 Sport. This rack-and-pinion setup contributes to the C43's tight 35.2 curb-to-curb turning radius. The steering apparatus in the C43 also has an integral damper that smooths out road irregularities, contributing to a predictable cornering attitude on uneven surfaces.

To guarantee that their car travels in its intended direction, Mercedes has equipped the C43 with a sophisticated traction control system. Dubbed Automatic Slip Reduction (ASR), the system detects wheelspin in low traction situations, and applies the brakes to one of the rear wheels to equalize wheel speed. At higher speeds, ASR also retards the ignition timing, decreasing the amount of power that the engine is making until traction is restored to the rear wheels. Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is another feature of the C43's traction-enhancement package. The system works by monitoring the angle of the steering wheel and the direction of the car's travel. If the ESP system detects a steering angle different from the car's path, it selectively applies one of the car's brakes to bring the vehicle in line. Enthusiasts will be happy to know that the ASR system has an off button on the dashboard. Perfect for those who enjoy the occasional smoky burnout. (Mercedes frowns on this sort of activity, as evidenced by the large warning triangle that appears in the center of the instrument cluster when ASR is disabled. It's almost as if they're saying, "OK, you yahoo, we'll let you turn this thing off, but we aren't responsible for the consequences.")

AMG's contribution to the C43 is the hardware enhancements listed above. Mercedes, however, doesn't want you to forget that you are riding in a car designed by one of the most prestigious automakers in the world. This means that the C43 is outfitted to high levels of luxury, despite its sport sedan status. The C43 receives multi-adjustable front seats that feature pneumatic bolsters for the back and thighs as well as dual lumbar supports. Leather is standard in the C43, as is a thick sport steering wheel that begs to be grabbed and spun with reckless abandon. Automatic climate control, cruise control, a Bose stereo system and a split-folding rear seat are also standard on the C43. The climate control system features a rest mode, which re-circulates warm air through the car for up to 30 minutes after the engine has been shut off. Perfect for keeping the C43's cabin warm when running errands on a cold day.

If you've read this far you are to be congratulated. The technical aspects of any vehicle are important to understanding how it performs. What you probably want to know, however, is how it drives. For the impatient members of the audience, I'll sum it up in one word: awesome. For those interested in an extended deconstruction, please read on.

The C43 is a perfect blend of comfort, refinement, power and precision. The engine makes eager noises when fired up, resonating in a deep rumble that quickly changes to a satisfying blat as the revs build. As promised, the C43 goes like a banshee from a near stop to triple digits. My only complaint about the powertrain performance is that the car does not accelerate from a standstill as quickly as I would like. There is moment of hesitation when stomping on the gas at a stop sign that no amount of the transmission's adapting could improve. I tried shifting the automatic transmission myself and still couldn't overcome the problem. Oh well, from 10 mph onward the C43 goes like a bat out of hell with smooth upshifts and constant power.

The steering on the C43 is nearly perfect. Well-weighted for tight turns in the parking lot as well as minor corrections on the freeway, the steering communicates road surface conditions without threatening to jerk the wheel out of the driver's hands. The steering gear works in concert with the suspension to help the C43 track evenly through turns; abrupt weight transfers and road irregularities are smoothed out as this compact sedan slithers through demanding switchbacks and high-speed sweepers.

The Brake Assist turned out to be less daunting than I initially imagined. I wasn't rear-ended as a result of an inadvertent panic stop, nor did I panic passengers or myself by stopping the car too quickly. I did notice that the C43 stops better than the regular C-Class models, and that brake fade was not apparent even after a demanding drive through the mountains.

Comfortwise, the C43 has the BMW M3 beat cold. This racy Mercedes is all about style and class, and its interior is one of the most comfortable I've experienced in a small sedan. My complaints are limited to the difficult-to-buckle front seats (the pneumatic seat controls are in the way of the seat buckle) and the lack of headroom for the rear seats. Everything else is top flight. The wood on the dashboard breaks up the stark functionality that afflicts many sport sedans, while the white-faced gauges and gated gearshift suggest the seriousness of this fast auto. Trunk room is adequate at 12.9 cubic feet.

Is the C43 perfect? Almost. The lack of a manual transmission disappointed me, no matter that Mercedes claims that the C43's adaptive unit shifts nearly as well as any human could expect. I was also ticked that our $55,000 test model arrived without a CD player. Hello, what high-tech performance junkie is still listening to cassette tapes? Nevertheless, 302 horsepower, and an equal amount of torque, in a car that weighs only 3,461 pounds is hard not to like. This level of power, coupled with a fantastic interior, excellent driveability and the satisfying thunk produced when slamming the doors gives enthusiasts a new choice when pondering what sport sedan best fills their needs. Hell, it's even given this fan of the blue and white propeller a pause. What car would I take if I could have only one and price was no object? That's a tough one. I know that it would be German; beyond that I'm not sure. Anybody have a quarter?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
Article on C43 and E55

http://www.topgear.com/drives/C7/K3/...sts/09/01.html