C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C36 Performance/running costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile C36 Performance/running costs?

I am a UK resident and I'm looking into getting a C36 in the next few months - If I can find one! I have learnt a great deal from the other threads and briefly drove a C36, but only in a built up area so I still have some questions for current owners:

How does the car perform for overtaking? I am interested in the 30-50, 40-60, 50-70 and 70-90mph times for example and how the car responds to a sudden change. I have driven and been a passenger in cars which on paper have similar performance (one example would be a subaru Impretza turbo) but these cars have to be revved hard to get the performance and often need down changes before they respond -how is the C36?

I would be interested in running costs in terms of fuel consumption and prices of tires, is a higher grade of oil required, how long does an exhaust last and what does a replacement cost? I would hope to keep the car several years and it would be maintained by family and friends where possible (I'm not a great mechanic).

I don't have far to travel most days so I am hoping I can manage even with the UK fuel prices.

Any feedback on how the 4 and 5 speed autos compare in terms of economy, reliability, smoothness - as I recall from the test drive there was two modes?

Is the extra pack worthwhile - traction control sounds useful for the few days or weeks of snow we sometimes get.

Your comments are greatly appreciated,

Matthew
Old 09-21-2002, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
when it came out in 96...it was awesome...monstrous. now...well...it's still got a punch, but with m3, m5, c32, rs6 coming out...it ain't such a bada$$ anymore.

tires gonna cost a bunch, the oem bridgestone s-01 expedia is fairly comfortable in ride, but has a tendency to be tail happy. with the new s-03 potenza pp, it's much stickier. be prepared to pay lots for the rear tire 245-40-17. the front 225-45-17 will be slightly cheaper.

if u can, get the 97 5-speed. 95-96 have 4-speed, and although u will never feel the need for more power (well, that's relative), it does get buzzy at highway cruise speeds. (if u step on gas, let go, on gas, let go...sounds like someone's snoring :p .) extra gear never hurts. the c36 has the asr, anti slip thing, that kicks in when ur rears begin to slip...haven't used it in snow, so donno.

c36 was built for high speeds...it's amazing how much power there is when u need to pass...all in one 4th gear, not to say the least
Old 09-21-2002, 01:31 PM

Thanks for your help Steve,

Performance wise my main concern is that it will pass GTI and large engined family type cars as some folk despite going slowly initially object to you trying to pass them - M3 drivers don't tend to go that slowly. Maybe this is just a UK thing - drivers were more polite when I was in the USA on holiday.

It sounds like the 97 model is the best buy - was switchable traction control standard by then or still part of the options package?

Is the high speed noise engine or exhaust? One thing I notice and like when I drive my fathers 190E is the lack of wind noise - there is some tire noise but that's about it.