C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

suspension leaning to the right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
suspension leaning to the right?

Hi to yua all I noticed when i stood behind the car and looking at the rear end my car was leaning to the right, the car was on flat ground, is it the suspension and the shocks i have to change or what=? I did messure it from ground to upper wheelarches and there was a diffrence in hightness, it was a few centimtres (cm) diffrence, when i stand behind the car it seems kind of weird when it leans to the rite. I know that some benz cars had springsproblem and it just broke off in 2 pieces that can not be on my car i would have noticed that cheers mates it's a c43 amg
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
If you check your suspension and the springs and shocks are in good condtion, then I would say that the lean is typical. I've heard/seen multiple people notice this lean in their cars (not MB specific).

To remedy, I would say change the spring pads on the side that is lower/higher than the rest. Spring pads come in various thickness of 4mm, so if you went from a spring pad 1 to a 5, then your car will be 16mm higher.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denlasoul
If you check your suspension and the springs and shocks are in good condtion, then I would say that the lean is typical. I've heard/seen multiple people notice this lean in their cars (not MB specific).

To remedy, I would say change the spring pads on the side that is lower/higher than the rest. Spring pads come in various thickness of 4mm, so if you went from a spring pad 1 to a 5, then your car will be 16mm higher.
HEY dude what are these springpads, are they made of rubber or what?
Do i put them in between the springs or what,

Or did i loose a springpad so the car just sunk down like a toad?

Or is it just a bad springpad that needs to be changed?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Denlasoul

HI Again when i read somthing on a another thread that AMGJARED wrote i looked at his black c43 pictured from the rear, his car is also leaning to the right on the picture it looks the same on my car
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 C43
Originally Posted by kowalski
HEY dude what are these springpads, are they made of rubber or what?
Do i put them in between the springs or what,

Or did i loose a springpad so the car just sunk down like a toad?

Or is it just a bad springpad that needs to be changed?
Spring pads are rubber pads that sit on top of the spring. It is used to cushion the spring so it is not rubbing against frame. Reach up into the area where your spring sits and you will feel the spring pad. There are little bumps or **** on the spring pad indicating what spring pad number they are: eg 2 bumps = spring pad #2. They come in various sizes depending on the options you have on the car. It is possible that the spring pad is really worn down or that the spring pad may not match the opposing one (meaning your left and right spring pads may be different). they are really cheap (around $7 at the dealer). Now if one side is higher than the other, changing the spring pad on the higher side might level out the car.

Last edited by Denlasoul; 02-16-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i dunno about doing the spring pad swap just on the high side. that's akin to
putting 2" wad of napkins in your left back pocket because it hurts on that
side when you sit down. in other words, identify the cause ....don't just put
the bandage on the symptom.

if you pop the wheel off and peer up, you should be able to see the top perch/
mount. you should also be able to determine if the spring pad is sitting at the
same depth as the one on the opposite side. you should also be able to view
the coils and whether they have the same # of coils within the top perch. Look
for rust, damage to the control arm, ball joint, etc.