C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

What Brand Muffler Do You have On Your Amg?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
yeah, besides... the c43 comes with a really good amg exhaust, i put a remus high flow exhaust on my 97 c280 i-6 and it really made alo more noise than stock, but i left the resonator to try to keep the car quiet, i didnt want to rice up my car. in any case, the c43 exhaust sounds even better than my remus did (i know its coming from a diff motor) and i recently concluded that when i get headers and racing cats i would leave the amg muffler on bc it seems to me like the best engineered option, plus its original... magnaflow? cmon how gay is that at least get something euro- Remus are hand built in Austria...

below is a pic of my wrecked 97 c280 with the remus exhaust still holding strong... surprisingly enough.... it was the oval type with titanium tip, cost like 400 bucks, not bad if you ask me but i would never put it on the 43!
Attached Thumbnails What Brand Muffler Do You have On Your Amg?-img_1705.jpg  

Last edited by SeeKlasse; 03-05-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by myc43amg
pics no show on post. trying again...

FINALLY!! thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
I've been holding my tongue as I've read this thread for the last few days. I am 100% sure that the engineers at AMG know more about exhaust tuning than you do. You will see virtually no performance enhancement from changing the muffler because it is rarely the most restrictive feature in the exhaust or intake. Ever seen the inside of a catalytic converter? Secondly, bigger is not always better. Unless you have computational fluid dynamics software and you have modeled the flow of gases in the exhaust system, you cannot definitively say what the best arrangement is. Otherwise, everyone could run a 4" school bus exhaust and make 'mad powah'. An engine is an air pump and it has a certain curve that represents its volumetric efficiency. This efficiency relates directly to the power output. You change this curve anytime you mess with something and some times you help it and other times you hurt it. There are a whole host of other issues that come into play when determining what makes for the best exhaust. Everything is compromise and I promise that you will get more performance by ditching those fancy leather seats and putting composite buckets in than you will by cutting the AMG muffler off and putting a Magnaflow muffler on.

PS: You're making assumptions a little too quickly about AMG owners considering of the guys you are arguing with, one has a supercharged 4.3L and the other has a 5.4L swap. But no, we don't like performance.

Nice well thought out post but sadly wrong. AMG did NOT squeeze out all the power they could have (at least not on the older AMGs). I proved that with my X-pipe thread and got 8wheelHP on the top end from just a simple X-pipe. There wasn't even a single crossover ANYWHERE in that system on the V8 w210 E55s so obviously you are not correct in that regard. Yes they do a pretty good job with their catbacks from C43 on, but thats only one part of the system. The V8 headers are a joke they are so tiny, but again due to cost cutting they don't really have an option. You CAN make power from MB exhaust systems you just have to know HOW.

nuff said
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Originally Posted by Dr. C36
Nice well thought out post but sadly wrong. AMG did NOT squeeze out all the power they could have (at least not on the older AMGs). I proved that with my X-pipe thread and got 8wheelHP on the top end from just a simple X-pipe. There wasn't even a single crossover ANYWHERE in that system on the V8 w210 E55s so obviously you are not correct in that regard. Yes they do a pretty good job with their catbacks from C43 on, but thats only one part of the system. The V8 headers are a joke they are so tiny, but again due to cost cutting they don't really have an option. You CAN make power from MB exhaust systems you just have to know HOW.

nuff said
Unfortunately, it appears that you did not read my post. This discussion involved the AMG muffler. There are gains to be made in other parts of the car, but the muffler is not one of them. The exhaust manifolds are a product of trying not to turn the C43 into a $70k car. AMG can't re-engineer the entire car or the cost would skyrocket. However, they did put an AMG cat-back on and I challenge that you will not gain even 1/2 a horsepower by changing the muffler because that is not the restriction in the system. Unfortunately, you can't really test on that scale since many other factors will cause you to lose more than 1/2 a horsepower between runs.

I encourage you to re-read my post and this entire topic. It revolves around you repeating over and over how great magnaflow is. I think that point was made the first time you said it.

Finally, read a little about diminishing returns. You can spend a lot of money on a muffler and say it is for performance, and you will get minimal return for your investment. However, if you tell the truth and say that you did it to make the car sound better, then the return could be considered to be worth the cost.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
The only advantage I can see in replacing the stck AMG muffler is by putting on a much lighter aftermarket muffler and that's it. Only weight loss would be the advantage here for the car. That's my next move.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM

1999 C43
I have stock muffler that came with the car, and have "0" problems with it.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 AM

1999 C43

Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
I am 100% sure that the engineers at AMG know more about exhaust tuning than you do.