C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

New Sound Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c43
New Sound Ticking Noise

For the past few days I been hearing what sound like a hydraulic lifter noise on my engine. It does it when cold and warm as well. It comes and goes and the sound can be heard on idel or when I give it some gas.

I been searching for answers if others have had this problem. I found tha soem have but on other MB. Some fixed the problem by changing the PURGE VALVE. I have yet to read someone say that it was actually a lifter and they fixed it by adjusting/tighteting the rocker arm so as to quite the lifter noise.

Does the c43 have a PURGE VALVE? I cannot find the part anywhere or a picture as to what it looks like. Can this ticking noise be this purge valve or maybe something else?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 AM

c43
I found the part that is making what sounds exactly like a hydraulic lifter on the c43. I still have to find out what this part is and change it but that should not be to hard to do.
Below I will write some words for google search for others who may run into this problem so that they dont go to the dealer and get ripped off. If anyone knows what this part is please post here. What's MOT that is written on the part?

lifter noise on c43 amg
valve noise on c43 amg
tapping noise on c43 amg
ticking noise on c43
Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 AM

c43
Website will not upload pictures when I first post words. Hope this works. I think might be that the file name was to long.
Attached Thumbnails New Sound Ticking Noise-mot.jpg  
Old 02-24-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I've got the same thing on mine. I haven't spent the time to figure out what was causing it yet. I'll have to go look in the engine bay and see if I can figure out what part that is.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM

c43
its the regeneration valve, on some other cars they call it purge valve. if you start the engine anf hear the noise just unplug it from that top wire while the car is on. the ticking noise will go away in a split second! after that your check engine will turn on. disconnect the batter and plug the wire back and all will be well. What i did was to take the valve away from the metal holder and left it there leaning. it aint going no where and so far after HOURS of driving the ticking has not come back. I do have a contact who says he has a new one for 74.00 plus shipping. if you want one (if thats your noise) let me know and I will pm you his number.