C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

More C43 transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
Sorry for another long post, (and crossposting) just trying to get as much info out there as possible.

Got the car back Friday, seems OK, have 1st & 5th back The culprit appears to be a washer on the output shaft broke & broke free. That is probably the chunks they saw in the pan. There was potential for pieces everywhere so I told them to go ahead with the rebuild.
The transmission is so complex; I guess I can't expect that everything would be perf (can I??) But seems OK so far AND under budget $3577 out the door. The girl who rung me up said wow you got a great deal!

I have some seemingly unrelated problems though... Engine is not running great. Not all the time but once in a while it runs really rough for about 10 sec like it is missing or something (no codes though.) I spoke again with the mechanic that referred me to MZF; he said that they have to tilt the engine at such an angle to get the trans out that sometimes a vacuum hose pops off or something. However, that wouldn't be intermittent though, it would run like crap all the time.

Also, seemingly reeeally unrelated, when I push down on the brake pedal, there is initial resistance when first pressed then it is OK. Bent some linkage putting it back in?? I have no idea if one is even physically close to another.

Another weird thing is the oil light has come on about three times, just when I am going straight down the road. Oil level is OK though, right in the middle.

I’ll drive it around the rest of the weekend and see if it fixes itself and I will let y'all know...
Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
nice to hear your car is running, hope you fix those little problems
Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 PM

1999 C43
Thanks man! Yeah, not quite right but haven't gotten around to calling the guy yet. Guess that I am hoping it will fix itself...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
by the way, are you attending the meet on dublin?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 AM

1999 C43
I dunno... I haven't kept it up that well so I might be embarrassed to show it there... (Where is the embarrassed smiley??) But I guess I could be a good lesson in "Don't let this happen yours!"
Old 04-23-2008, 02:23 AM

1999 C43
OK, one more post on this before I fade back into lurkerdom...
I did take it back in because it was running like crap. Solution - the air cleaner wasn't on all the way! He just banged it down some and it went to running smooth right away. No problems since!

Thanks everyone for your help & advice!
Take care, Greg.