C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

99 C43 8 qt. Motor Oil Instead of 7?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:49 AM
ckc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 C43 8 qt. Motor Oil Instead of 7?

I am not writing to tell that i am absolutely correct on the issue but logically by reading the oil dipstick i may be possibly right. Long story short, i was using an independent garage to do 5,000 mi interval oil change to my 99 C43, the dipstick showed there is room for another qt. to be poured after we put 7 qt. as specified in the user's manual. We then put another qt. in. The dipstick showed ok. However, by checking with the car computer it showed the oil level was "hi". Well we had to believe the high tech and drained one qt. of oil to make the computer showing "ok". The car had approx. 33000 mi at that time.

Last week at 44,000 mi, I brought the car in again for the interval oil change. The garage owner, who for sure is an enthusiatic mechanic and by the way this garage is for MBs only told me he talked to a familar MB rep. about the difference by reading the dipstick and the car computer. He was told to reload the computer programme (or download an updated programme) and we did.

We put 7 qt. and checked the oil level from the stick and again it showed we have room for another qt. Since i had only brought 7 qts. of oil in I decided to drive it to an auto supplies store about 2 mi away for another qt. so that the oil would not mix up with different brands and weigh (M1 0W-40). The computer lighted up on my way showing oil level was "low". I put another qt. in the light was immediately gone. I checked it few times this week before I started up the car the oil level computer showed "ok".

As the owner's manual is always the bible therefore and again I am not claiming we are absolutely right on putting in 8 qts. instead of 7. However, if you are as concered as I am/the garage owner about the car and are interested to find out what is better for it you may want to do your homework too.

cheers and happy motoring.

:p
Old 12-23-2002, 02:26 AM

1998 C43
ckc:

Hey thatnks for the info. I'll check into that too. Funny thing is that I had an oil change about 2700 miles ago, and my low oil level indicator came on m instrument cluster. Normally, I would have my oil changed every 3000 mi/3 months. But, arent I supposed to have it changed when my FSS service tells me that it is time, ie when the miles reach closer to 0?

Anyay, gonna have my oil changed soon.

Regards

DLS
Old 01-21-2003, 05:45 PM

great post! i've noticed that my 'low oil' indicator turned on when i got close to 3000 miles after every oil change. on my last change, i decided to add an additional 1/2 quart. i'm about 300 miles from oil change time and the light has yet to turn on. if the indicator doesn't turn on in the next 300+ miles, i am going to stick with the 7 1/2 qt oil change.