C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Do you notice any instability on your 202 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 AMG C43
Hi
I also have a 98 C43.

I am running the same tires- Eagle F1s (factory sized front and rear, 17 factory rims) @ 35psi- that is plenty high in pressure, don't go higher than about 2.2-2.4 bar unless you have the car loaded with people.

My car is very stable at high speeds, no wander, no drift- even on rough roads. If anything it gets better, the faster it goes (this is bad for my drivers liscense )

The other guys have given you some good pointers- don't run the pressure too high, keep an eye on the rotors for warping. Good idea to make sure replacement brake pads are properly bedded.
Proper alignment makes a big difference for stability, handling and tire wear.
Also, as the car ages (my C43 has pretty low miles) suspension components will wear- good idea to stay on top of shocks, springs and bushings, not to metion ball joints and the steering idler.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by colt45; 10-18-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by RBYCC
You really don't understand....

Air pressure is air pressure regardless of the tire diameter.

Following your logic, the recommended tire pressure of 30 PSI on my 2006 C6 Corvette with stock 18" front and 19" rear tires is not correct ????

Keep on bouncing and hopefully when you do foolish high speed passes on a secondary road you'll live to speak about it
+1+1+1
Don't keep telling him if he does not want to listen. Let him wreck I'm sorry to say.
When good advice is given to some of these guys they insist on not listening to wise counsel.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by colt45
Hi
I also have a 98 C43.

I am running the same tires- Eagle F1s (factory sized front and rear, 17 factory rims) @ 35psi- that is plenty high in pressure, don't go higher than about 2.2-2.4 bar unless you have the car loaded with people.

My car is very stable at high speeds, no wander, no drift- even on rough roads. If anything it gets better, the faster it goes (this is bad for my drivers liscense )

The other guys have given you some good pointers- don't run the pressure too high, keep an eye on the rotors for warping. Good idea to make sure replacement brake pads are properly bedded.
Proper alignment makes a big difference for stability, handling and tire wear.
Also, as the car ages (my C43 has pretty low miles) suspension components will wear- good idea to stay on top of shocks, springs and bushings, not to metion ball joints and the steering idler.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve.
My car is a lowmilage too, only 88,000 km so i think the suspension and the other things are still ok, i never hear any clunking from speed bumps and potholes.

so for the other guys on this forum i do understand what you talk about, when it comes to tyre pressure regarding the size of the tyre, here i can only try the diffrences in tyre pressure to see whats the best for the car.
higher load demands higher tyre pressure/ lower load gets normal tyre pressure.
the reason i was askin about the instability is to know if any of you guys experianced the same thing, i guess it was a little high when i put in 3,2 bar and yes it was kinda bouncy and no the tyre wear was still normal as it should be, the wear comes across the whole tread as the tyre is designed to be.
some people do recomend a tad higher tyre pressure, this way you get less tyre wear and a little bit more range for your hard earned dollars when pumping gas.

Also i forgot to add, the roads in sweden are terrible with potholes and speedbumps, having a stiff car with low profile wide tyres and a lowerd suspension there will be some annoying sound, getting a comfortable ride with 40 front profile/35 rear profile will never happen, the only way is to lower the tyre pressure.

cheers

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 10-20-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by kowalski
Hey Steve.
My car is a lowmilage too, only 88,000 km so i think the suspension and the other things are still ok, i never hear any clunking from speed bumps and potholes.

so for the other guys on this forum i do understand what you talk about, when it comes to tyre pressure regarding the size of the tyre, here i can only try the diffrences in tyre pressure to see whats the best for the car.
higher load demands higher tyre pressure/ lower load gets normal tyre pressure.
the reason i was askin about the instability is to know if any of you guys experianced the same thing, i guess it was a little high when i put in 3,2 bar and yes it was kinda bouncy and no the tyre wear was still normal as it should be, the wear comes across the whole tread as the tyre is designed to be.
some people do recomend a tad higher tyre pressure, this way you get less tyre wear and a little bit more range for your hard earned dollars when pumping gas.

cheers

'Higher load demands higher tyre pressure...."

You really are clueless when it comes to comprehension of what that means.

Load = additional weight you are carrying in the vehicle...i.e three additional passengers or a trunk full of lead billets....

How many times do you have to be told that it's the high pressure that is causing your instability....and yes, eventually you will see abnormal tyre wear...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RBYCC
'Higher load demands higher tyre pressure...."

You really are clueless when it comes to comprehension of what that means.

Load = additional weight you are carrying in the vehicle...i.e three additional passengers or a trunk full of lead billets....

How many times do you have to be told that it's the high pressure that is causing your instability....and yes, eventually you will see abnormal tyre wear...
sorry for my bad engliouuuuuuuuuuush.
'Higher load demands higher tyre pressure= this says on the gasflap label and is only for 17 inch tyres there is nothing for 18 inch on the label
extra load meaning more passengers / luggage inflate tyres
the other way means normal tyre pressure normal load

Also i've been test drivin with less air pressure for 10 days, of course it felt better
from 3,2 bar to 2,9 bar feels better and it's a more comfortable ride.
I don't want to high and not too low, testing is the only way to get it right

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 10-20-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
sorry for my bad engliouuuuuuuuuuush.
'Higher load demands higher tyre pressure= this says on the gasflap label and is only for 17 inch tyres there is nothing for 18 inch on the label
extra load meaning more passengers / luggage inflate tyres
the other way means normal tyre pressure normal load

Also i've been test drivin with less air pressure for 10 days, of course it felt better
from 3,2 bar to 2,9 bar feels better and it's a more comfortable ride.
I don't want to high and not too low, testing is the only way to get it right
Set it for 2.5bar and LEAVE IT! This is the answer to you inquiry! 2.5bar and LEAVE IT!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
Set it for 2.5bar and LEAVE IT! This is the answer to you inquiry! 2.5bar and LEAVE IT!!!!!
so my car is now in hybernate, it will rest ther until next year when i take it out.
as for the tyres i found that a little lower deflating gives me a more of a enjoyable ride wuth less ratling in the car.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
so my car is now in hybernate, it will rest ther until next year when i take it out.
as for the tyres i found that a little lower deflating gives me a more of a enjoyable ride wuth less ratling in the car.
It's like pulling teeth
Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProjectC55
AS always you fellow guys know the best.
it was really hard for me to believe that my tyres only needed cirka 2,4 to 2,5 bar, so i testdrove my car and it was ok.
i also called the swedish good year dealer, guess what he said the same thing i don't need more than 2,4 to 2,5. i got a liitle troubled here, i told him the tyre dude who put my new tyres to my new wheels inflated them to 3 bar,
well the response from G.Y. people was that tyre shops likes to inflate to much and jipp the customers, getting their tyres worn faster and then having them to buy new ones again, so i only drove my car with 3,2 bars during 2 summer seasons, luckily not any longtrips i drove cirka 13,0000km, so no uneven tyre wear luckily.

Good year people told me to also do a new wheel aligntment for the new 18 inch wheels for best performance.
how many people does this when they change their wheels to a diffrent size?

So i apologize very much to the helpful forum members for being a donkey
and the guy who wanted me to crash my car, no need being rude paaaaaaaal.
no-one knows everything, luckily there are forums to ask for information.

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 10-22-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:01 AM

S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercedes22
thanx bro
Old 11-04-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Hi guys,
Do you notice any instability on your 202 amg car when you drive over speedlimits, say over 100 miles/h and on to the cars speedlimit which is 155 miles/h= 250km/h?
With stock suspension, a resounding Yes, especially if you're cresting a small hill and the road turns at the same time when well over 100mph. ...don't run the stock setup. edit: And lower your tire pressure from where you said you run it. re-edit: ok, i read the bottom of this thread and see you finally listened; never mind.

Last edited by c55m8o; 11-04-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
doesn't the fuel flap also indicate/recommend what pressures should be on the tire? somewhere 32psi single driver.. 36/41 for max load iirc.. even if it's 18, it should be too far from it. anway... we have nothing to sell u. that tire dude does. glad u got it all settled now.

Also i forgot to add, the roads in sweden are terrible with potholes and speedbumps, having a stiff car with low profile wide tyres and a lowerd suspension there will be some annoying sound, getting a comfortable ride with 40 front profile/35 rear profile will never happen, the only way is to lower the tyre pressure.
stiff? i would not call a w202 amg stiff, even lowered... at least it's acceptable. being in sweden, u should know how stiff and harsh a 94-97 850 feels :P. on the flip side, just be careful u don't run too low a tire pressure that it would not protect those precious rims from those nasty potholes.