secondary cat and resonator removal mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43 ///AMG
secondary cat and resonator removal mod

So im taking my c43 to the shop in the next week or two to have the secondary cat and resonator removed. Now i know its going to sound better but i was wondering if there is any noticeable power gains from this? just curious.
Has anybody used the Abedin Motorsports ECU tune on their c43? im thinking about doing that and also getting the performance crank pulley from them. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by AMGjamesC43
So im taking my c43 to the shop in the next week or two to have the secondary cat and resonator removed. Now i know its going to sound better but i was wondering if there is any noticeable power gains from this? just curious.
Has anybody used the Abedin Motorsports ECU tune on their c43? im thinking about doing that and also getting the performance crank pulley from them. Thanks!
i was thinking of doing the same thing to my C43 but i wanted to see it done before i do it on my car, so i would really appreciate it if you let us know with the sound results and any effects on emissions? and if you could post a video it would be great, thank you!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Hello James,

The resonator removal does not do anything for power, its just a sound modification. The Secondary cat up grade does help a little bit (no more than 5HP) but it also does improve the exhaust sound on the top significantly. Removing both though may make the car a bit loud. If you want to upgrade sound I would do the secondary cats first and see how you like it, just to be on the safe side. If you still want more sound, then you can do the resonator as well.

Our ECU tuning is done by Speedtuning USA which is a very reputable tuner and they have done hundreds of ECUs on MBworld over the years, which is why we chose them (as well as their affordable cost in comparison to many other ECU tuners).

If you are interested in getting both the pulley & ECU you can purchase our Stage 1 ECU which includes both the pulley & ECU at a discounted combo price.

Hope that helps.
~AMS~
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 C43 ///AMG
thanks for the response. Before i make any real decisons about the pulley and ecu tune i was wondering if anybody had dyno results for the c43 after installing either one or both of these.

thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by AMGjamesC43
thanks for the response. Before i make any real decisons about the pulley and ecu tune i was wondering if anybody had dyno results for the c43 after installing either one or both of these.

thanks
We do have dynos on numerous NA 55 AMGs, C43s gains would be similar in shape just slightly less gains compared to their 55 counterparts (since they make less HP stock). The % gains are the same but the actual nominal gains will be slightly less. The ECU tune dynos are on STUSAs website.

Hope that helps.
~AMS~
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM

1998 c43
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello James,

The resonator removal does not do anything for power, its just a sound modification. The Secondary cat up grade does help a little bit (no more than 5HP) but it also does improve the exhaust sound on the top significantly. Removing both though may make the car a bit loud. If you want to upgrade sound I would do the secondary cats first and see how you like it, just to be on the safe side. If you still want more sound, then you can do the resonator as well.

Our ECU tuning is done by Speedtuning USA which is a very reputable tuner and they have done hundreds of ECUs on MBworld over the years, which is why we chose them (as well as their affordable cost in comparison to many other ECU tuners).

If you are interested in getting both the pulley & ECU you can purchase our Stage 1 ECU which includes both the pulley & ECU at a discounted combo price.

Hope that helps.
~AMS~
I did took off my resonator and ran a straight pipe through and still sound the same to me, and the guy at the muffler shop told me if i wanna hear some sound coming from my V8 just take off my secondary CAT..but im kinda hesitant for two reasons first is the SMOG specially i live in cali, second is it might sound like crap or it might be too loud..any suggestion???????
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by tristantiojanco
I did took off my resonator and ran a straight pipe through and still sound the same to me, and the guy at the muffler shop told me if i wanna hear some sound coming from my V8 just take off my secondary CAT..but im kinda hesitant for two reasons first is the SMOG specially i live in cali, second is it might sound like crap or it might be too loud..any suggestion???????
Secondary cats do not make a huge difference in sound, its more about airflow than anything else. They however increase resonance in the exhaust note so keep that in mind. The biggest difference with high flow cats is the sound above the cam opening (roughly 3500rpm+); usually thats where teh biggest difference is in sound so during normal daily driving & cruising its only slightly louder with a tiny bit more resonance but usually not a huge amount (except for some of the AMGs like SLK55s which have a very short exhaust system). If you are worried about making it too loud then I suggest getting a OBD2 DOT compliant high flow catalytic converter so your car will be street legal in Cali instead of straight pipes which we do not condone.

If you don't live in cali you can upgrade both primary & secondaries for much more airflow & sound, however, it's still uncertain as to whether some MBs will throw a CEL or not with high flow cats, some do / some don't.

Hope that helps.
~AMS~