C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Can't use 1st gear!? 98 C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
Can't use 1st gear!? 98 C43

Hey guys, I recently got a '98 C43 silver on two tone silver interior, great car but 1st to 2nd gear it hits pretty hard is the tranny goin out, or vacuum issues, adjustment issues? For right now managing in winter mode, but how long do I have? And also if I drive it in first a bit harder going higher in the revs, it changes smoother but still throws the revs higher then changes. Anyways any help would be appreciated guys thanks, Greg.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
Sounds like the one way roller is out. This will cause very bad 1-2 uphsifts.
Put the car on a steep incline and with it in w mode it should not roll backwards when in drive. If it does roll backwards then the one way is shot. The transmission has to be removed and disassembled to repl. I would probably get a low mileage transmission from a later model car. Go for a 2002 or newer if possible.
As always if the one way is not bad then try a trans flush and filter. Also check for trans fluid in the transmission control module. It is under the carpet on the passenger side behind the steel kick panel.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
89 300e euro stuff, 96 Volvo 850R bending rods
Hey thanks a lot Whipple always a great help. It cheaper to change that piece or get a new tranny? It actually does roll back just a little in W. I found a transmission from a 99 actually with only 62k miles on it. I don't have the tiptronic I have the D4321. Or else I would put in the newer one. Not looking to make some kind of upgrade actually just to drive normally that's it my dad drives it so he'll be fine with the normal tranny, anyways thanks a lot whipple just wanted to make sure what was going on.

And how is your blower project going? I want to do the same to the 36, but fitment issues are killing me. plus low on cash lol. Just a project I was thinking about later on, but really do love the type of intake setup you have I want to do the same but there are so many damn things going into mine that I get dizzy just looking at it, so I just leave it be.

Last edited by C36ickness; 05-14-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
There is no difference between a transmission with or without tiptronic. The shifter and the ecu are a different but thats it. The one way can be replaced
pretty cheap but labor is normally pretty high. I would guess that most shops would either demand a full rebuild or installing a reman unit from the factory.
That is typically the case. Get some prices and see what you can come up with.
As far as my project goes. Everything is running great. The torque feels much stronger down low. I am getting ready to start building exhaust headers for it and try to get rid of some back pressure to open up some power on the top end. Give me a shout when your ready to go though. Either turbo or blower.