C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Buying help for c36...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 c36 amg
Buying help for c36...

Hey guys. I have had my eye on a '95 c36 for about a month now. It was bought at a local auction by a dealer, most likely at whole-sale value, and now are asking at least $6500 for it (I believe I can work them lower, but does that price sound right?). It is in perfect visual condition with 130k miles. The carfax has no red flags as well. This will be the first amg mercedes I have bought and am curious as to what I should be looking and watching out for on these cars... They are beautifully designed toys and I love them and would really appreciate any advice on how to go about finding the right one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 AM

W201
I'm probably in the same position as you, looking for a C36. I'm not yet sure if to go for a low mileage car or save a few bucks and find a good running high mileage. I would consider your 130K on the high end.

I don't really have an answer to your questions though. My hunch is you'll want one with a good transmission, that doesn't shift too slowly or slip. My nightmare is to buy a C36 and have the transmission die a few months later.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 AM

'97 c36 amg
thankyou for your thoughts. I was reading on another thread about the c36/43 that the engines (not necessarily the transmission) just begin to break in. If you havn't seen that it is just a couple of posts down from this one...check it out if you havn't. I strongly believe these cars can go for easily 200+ miles if cared for and not entirely thrown around to hard (so I guess know your seller right?).

But I will definetly have the transmission get a thorough examination and test drive for sure. Anything else you would recommend checking...