C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

General Exclaim UHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43, 86 Porsche 951, 98 Volvo S70 T5M
General Exclaim UHP

Just picked up a set of these guys from Tire Rack for a ridiculously low price. For 245/40 17s that is. They were just over $100 each with the fronts at just over $90. I wanted to get some more expensive tires, but these were rated so well I decided to bite.

I'm very glad I did. These guys grip very well on dry pavement. Shockingly well for how cheap they are. Really there isn't much cheap about the tire. It looks like something you could buy for at least double the price.

What is really interesting is their wet grip. You can mash the throttle in the rain with TC off and not totally spin out. Sure you won't hook up right away, but you can go over half throttle and still be moving forward. Once you hook up they stay planted very well. They don't transform your car into an AWD machine, but are very respectable in the wet.

The best thing I like about the tires however is their ride. They ride very nice and are not noisy at all. I bought the car with some worn Pilot Sport PS2s on it and always thought the car rode really rough. Turns out it was the tires. With the generals the ride is firm, but not punishing like the old tires. I joke with the wife now that my car rides better than hers.

I can't really comment much on the handling of the tires since I've not put them through their paces there. Just from a little bit of driving they seem to be decent handlers, but they don't feel as composed in corners as the Michelins that I had on before. Which I would expect with a more compliant ride. Since I have a 951 for Autox this doesn't really bother me.

Overall I'm very happy and consider these the best purchase I've made for the car. I've been considering getting a truck for hauling things and since the car rode so rough it was tipping me in that direction. Now its much more fun to drive and less punishing. Definitely going to keep the car for a few more years as there aren't many cars that can compare without spending 3x the money on them. Maybe even a 55 swap.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I have had these tires on my car for about a year and they have been very good. My only complaint is that they are a little rough when first getting started after the car has sat in the garage for a while. One of my friends had a similar situation with Michelins on his 911 where they would almost take a set after sitting for a while and you have to get a mile or two on them before they smooth out. Other than that, they have been great tires for me.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
they are good mediocre tires with decent grip for a great price, but they are by no means a true max performance tire.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG & E55 AMG
Ya had them on my c230K modded... not a big fan
now i'm with 2 generations of michelin pilot sport, my fav so far
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I have the Exclm Uhps on my c36. Good tire for price. Grip is good in drywet,even snow. But side walls are a little soft.