Engine Problem? Please read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 c36 amg
Engine Problem? Please read

Hey all,

So I just purchased my first amg mercedes. I bought a '97 c36 with 130k. It is a great car, one owner driven by an older lady its entire life (so im assuming it hasnt been driven to hard )

Anyways I live in the bay area and recently we have been having some pretty hot weather, high 90's at least. My problem is with my acceleration. In the mornings the car runs like a dream, real tight and torquey! However after about 30mins to an hour the car starts to run real hot, not over heating exactly, but the water temperature starts to read at about the third quarter line (you should all know what I mean, the dial on the left, they are all the same), and then I have my acceleration problems.

I have had trouble describing it if your not in the car when it happens but this is about the best I can do. When I punch the accelerator, the car acts as if the automatic transmission shifts out of a gear but does not re-engage itself, the revs continue to climb however there is very minimal performance output coming from the rear wheels. I guess I would describe it as if you are driving a stick shift, and engage the clutch as if to shift up while continuing to hold your foot on the gas without finding the next gear. And of course when it does it jerks real rapidly and then thats it. No weird sounds, just beautiful sounding revs going no where. Remember this is only when the car begins to run hot.

Please share any comments you may have, this problem has puzzled me, as I believe the transmission is pretty bullet proof says the history records, with no previous problems...

Thankyou in advance!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C36AMG
Originally Posted by edemac8
Hey all,

So I just purchased my first amg mercedes. I bought a '97 c36 with 130k. It is a great car, one owner driven by an older lady its entire life (so im assuming it hasnt been driven to hard )

Anyways I live in the bay area and recently we have been having some pretty hot weather, high 90's at least. My problem is with my acceleration. In the mornings the car runs like a dream, real tight and torquey! However after about 30mins to an hour the car starts to run real hot, not over heating exactly, but the water temperature starts to read at about the third quarter line (you should all know what I mean, the dial on the left, they are all the same), and then I have my acceleration problems.

I have had trouble describing it if your not in the car when it happens but this is about the best I can do. When I punch the accelerator, the car acts as if the automatic transmission shifts out of a gear but does not re-engage itself, the revs continue to climb however there is very minimal performance output coming from the rear wheels. I guess I would describe it as if you are driving a stick shift, and engage the clutch as if to shift up while continuing to hold your foot on the gas without finding the next gear. And of course when it does it jerks real rapidly and then thats it. No weird sounds, just beautiful sounding revs going no where. Remember this is only when the car begins to run hot.

Please share any comments you may have, this problem has puzzled me, as I believe the transmission is pretty bullet proof says the history records, with no previous problems...

Thankyou in advance!
i think i know wat C36 u got, is it black?

i'm from the bay area too, i think you should start with a coolant flush, and oil change, use mb coolant, and also how ,lng has it been since a spark plug change? dude u better clean that engine up, i'm sure by if being drivin by an old lady the engine hasn't gotten much attention..if you like PM me and if your close by i can assist u on this...i have a 1997 C36 as well, and this car is AWESOME