Transmission Problems C43 1999

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 C43 AMG
Transmission Problems C43 1999

Hey Guys,

I just sold the car and the new owner is having problems with the transmission cutting out to nuetral. This started to happen when he would accelerate on a curve or overtake a car. A second or two after giving gas, it would cut out like the car went into nuetral with the engine revving freely. He then has to pull over, turn the car off and restart. Then, it shifts normally. We diagnosed it once and found that there was fluid in the transmission controller which is located INSIDE the car under the passenger kickpanel. Fluid had travelled up the harness! The controller was replaced and the harness was cleaned out, but the problem came back the next day. Any ideas?

TIA,

Len
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Len,

There is a rubber accodian looking seal where the electronics go to the tranny. When this rubber seal starts to leak I understand that oil will not only leak out of the tranny, but it can also travel up the electronics to the box and damage it. The seal is a minor part and around $10 or $20 dollars I think.

I think there are some post here or on benzworld that deal with this issue.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 AM

99 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by speedybenz
Len,

There is a rubber accodian looking seal where the electronics go to the tranny. When this rubber seal starts to leak I understand that oil will not only leak out of the tranny, but it can also travel up the electronics to the box and damage it. The seal is a minor part and around $10 or $20 dollars I think.

Jeff
Cool. Thanks, Jeff. I'll look into it.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
Len,

Jeff
where is this seal located?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 AM

AMG C43, 1999
The rubber boot that also functions as a seal is found at the rear of the tranny on the drivers side of the car. I had one of these go bad a few years ago and it started to leak quite a bit of oil. I started to notice the oil on my garage floor and jacked up the car and was able to see the oil coming out of this rubber boot and seal.

I hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C43 AMG
The rubber boot that also functions as a seal is found at the rear of the tranny on the drivers side of the car. I had one of these go bad a few years ago and it started to leak quite a bit of oil. I started to notice the oil on my garage floor and jacked up the car and was able to see the oil coming out of this rubber boot and seal.

I hope this helps.

Jeff
thanks jeff!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
The fluid that got in to the etc is the problem but did you replaced the electrical connector ,or 13 pin bushing that is located on pass side of tranny ?? This is your root cause of the tranny fluid leak the orings go bad and fluid gets by and wicks up the wires. There is a redesigned one with black orings that work great.

speedy benz i think your talking about another common leak. The acorrdian or bellow looking thing on the left side is you sift inter lock cable seal. The bellows would get torn and leak real bad only on 99 and down though