C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

1998 BRABUS C 5.8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Bumping this because I'm ignorant... Or mainly because I'm interested in hearing:

1. If you even still own the vehicle?
2. What has the ownership experience been like, any issues? Other than regular maintenance, I'm assuming we don't hear much because they're really so solid.
3. Any more upgrades/how have the Kmacs, LSD & KWs been holding up?
4. If you could share some more photos or videos-I love seeing these rare gems.
5. If you've tested top speed?
The following users liked this post:
PSB (06-01-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
i think this guy still owns. he was pretty die hard
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
I remember when this car came up for sale. They were asking 12k at the time.

I think that is the owner before the current one.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
'99 C43, '88 560SL
I cant talk for him, but I have the wavetrac and it has been awesome so far
Old 06-16-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
Bumping this because I'm ignorant... Or mainly because I'm interested in hearing:

1. If you even still own the vehicle?
2. What has the ownership experience been like, any issues? Other than regular maintenance, I'm assuming we don't hear much because they're really so solid.
3. Any more upgrades/how have the Kmacs, LSD & KWs been holding up?
4. If you could share some more photos or videos-I love seeing these rare gems.
5. If you've tested top speed?
eFifty5AMG,

You’re not ignorant! I haven’t offered an update in sometime, so allow me to bring you up to speed. Yes, I still own the BRABUS C5.8. I drive my G55 Grand Edition in the winter and I drive my E55 Kleemann Stage 4 as my daily in the spring, summer and fall. I pulled the BRABUS out of storage last week and I hope to drive it occasionally on the weekends for the summer season, but I haven’t driven it even 1 mile yet. The experience has been great. I, like many of you, love the W202 and my desire for horsepower led me to the BRABUS. The BRBAUS is a remarkable example of what the W202 is capable of when you have the right team behind the build. Unfortunately, I haven’t even seen the full extent of what the vehicle can do and to be completely honest, I haven’t even pressed the vehicle a little bit since acquiring it. The BRABUS engine and various upgrades do not require anything above and beyond regular maintenance. That said, if you’re a perfectionist like me and you own an older vehicle, the preventative maintenance is always something that you address whether the vehicle needs it or not. Below are the items that I can remember at the moment:

Four seasons ago, I focused on the interior of the vehicle and I worked with a gentleman whose company specializes in interior restorations of vintage Roll Royce.
  • I purchased an entire matching C43 interior set (i.e. seats, headliner, rear deck, wood trim, etc.) and took the best pieces from it to help freshen up the BRABUS.
  • I had a set of the wood trim completely refinished (i.e. sanded, stained, polyurethaned, etc.) just for safe keeping.
  • I had the other wood trim set wrapped in 3M 1080 Brushed Steel vinyl and installed on the vehicle.
  • I had the rear deck and all pillars color matched and re-dyed to address any fading from the sun.
  • I had an OEM retractable rear sun shade installed with the appropriate OEM switch and OEM shift plate.
  • I had a chrome BRABUS shift knob and stainless BRABUS door lock pins installed.
  • I had the best set of seats cleaned/reconditioned and installed in the vehicle.
  • I had the other set completely resprayed/refinished and put them in storage for safe keeping. Countless hours went into color matching the silver, but the results are pure perfection.
  • I selected the best door panels and trim pieces and had them installed as well.
Three seasons ago, I focused mostly on the engine. My mechanic was amazed by how clean the engine was once the valve covers were removed.
  • NGK plugs
  • Magnacor wires
  • Refinished the ceramic coated valve covers in Ferrari Red
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • Timing chain
  • Bosch clear corners installed with new bulbs all around
Two seasons ago, I focused on the wheels and suspension.
  • I set the BRABUS wheels off and had them refinished and re-chromed
  • New Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around
  • KW Variant 2 Coil-over Kit. Countless hours were spent to achieve the perfect ride height.
  • Wavetrac Helical limited-slip differential
  • Full trans service and trans gasket with Red Line D6 trans fluid
  • Brembo brake pads and Brembo brake fluid
  • KMAC front camber/caster kit
  • KMAC rear camber/toe kit
  • Differential mount bushings
  • Drive shaft flex disc/joint kit
  • Engine mounts
  • Idler arm bushings
  • Stabilizer/sway bar bushings
  • Tie rod assemblies; left, right and center tie rods.
  • Complete rear suspension control arm kit
  • Front passenger side lower control arm kit
  • Front driver sider lower control arm kit
  • Front passenger side upper control arm kit
  • Front driver side upper control arm kit
  • Transmission shift linkage bushing
  • Steering stabilizer
Last season, I focused on the exterior of the vehicle.
  • OEM windshield replacement due to rock chips
  • $4K in paintwork to address rock chips on the hood, scratches from the seat belts hitting the door jams, scuffs and scratches on the bumpers, all from the previous owner.
  • Diff fluid flush since the break in period on the Wavetrac Helical limited-slip differential was completed.
This season the preventative maintenance cycle continues, and I will focus back on the interior of the vehicle and lifetime protection of the exterior.
  • Recondition the headliner
  • Refinish/recondition the steering wheel
  • Full Interior/Exterior Ceramic Pro treatment (i.e. paint, leather, wheels, plastic, vinyl, glass, etc.)
  • XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film on the full front of the vehicle
I am entirely aware that this level of preventative maintenance may seem excessive to most, especially when you consider that the vehicle passed pre-purchase inspections by 2 independent mechanics, Fletcher Jones Mercedes-Benz, and even Peter, the head mechanic at BRABUS North America who personally completed the original conversion of the vehicle. Additionally, the vehicle has passed every inspection that my personal mechanic has completed annually since I acquired it. Like I said, I am a perfectionist. My goal from the very beginning has been to restore the vehicle to like new condition and more importantly, to preserve the vehicle for the next generation to enjoy. Make no mistake though, I've spent the time and the money to ensure that I can fully enjoy the capabilities of the vehicle in the meantime!

Rest in peace to Bodo Buschmann!

TJMJR

Last edited by TJMJR; 06-16-2018 at 05:05 PM.
eFifty5AMG (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 05:03 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by mickey13
i think this guy still owns. he was pretty die hard
. . . you could say that . .

TJMJR

Last edited by TJMJR; 06-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:09 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by PJmak
I remember when this car came up for sale. They were asking 12k at the time.

I think that is the owner before the current one.
The labor expense for the suspension work alone cost way more than that.

TJMJR

Last edited by TJMJR; 06-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:13 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by brad_c43
I cant talk for him, but I have the wavetrac and it has been awesome so far
I'm looking forward to enjoying it now that the break in period is over, but I haven't enjoyed it enough to comment on it at this time. I will say this, the vehicle handles in a manner that is everything that I thought it could be and more.

TJMJR
Old 06-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
you did your car very nice.

you foggot to show us the interior pics when you re-did the trim panels.
what does centre console look like?
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM

2004 E55
Thanks so much for the update! It's great to see this car has been receiving the most meticulous attention to detail with the build/restoration. Not an area untouched & it truly shows because that car looks immaculate. Also cool to see some other AMGs in your collection; I was thinking W211 when you said Kleemann Stage 4, but the fact that it is a W210 makes it even better. I'd like to hear more about that one as well, but maybe in a different thread hah. That level of preventative maintenance/futureproofing is not excessive imo. We'd be best friends
Old 06-16-2018, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
I remember when this car was for sale and I was going back and forth with my dad to see if he wanted to do a cross country trip to go get it (I was in South Carolina at the time). I believe that was 2009 when you bought it, correct? It makes me very happy to see that it ended up with such a loving owner. The work you've done looks impeccable and I hope that you will continue to share the pictures and stories with us and most importantly, the driving impressions! What a beaut!
silverc4s (07-03-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Great to see that such great care has gone into this car.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by kowalski
you did your car very nice.

you foggot to show us the interior pics when you re-did the trim panels.
what does centre console look like?
kowalski,

Thank you Sir! Below are a few shots of the counsel and door panel.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:38 PM

2004 E55
I dig this. Did you do the long running trim piece up near the windshield as well? Some Brabus door pins would match up nicely with that shifter knob.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:07 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Thanks so much for the update! It's great to see this car has been receiving the most meticulous attention to detail with the build/restoration. Not an area untouched & it truly shows because that car looks immaculate. Also cool to see some other AMGs in your collection; I was thinking W211 when you said Kleemann Stage 4, but the fact that it is a W210 makes it even better. I'd like to hear more about that one as well, but maybe in a different thread hah. That level of preventative maintenance/futureproofing is not excessive imo. We'd be best friends
eFifty5AMG,

It’s my pleasure. I’m glad that there are others that can appreciate the time, effort and money invested into keeping this W202 on the road for years to come. The level of maintenance may be considered unnecessary to some, and they are absolutely entitled to their option. I also know that there are others that do the same for their vehicles and I applaud their efforts! In my humble opinion, if you’re going to test the performance limits of any vehicle, you better be damn certain that it can absolutely handle what you’re asking of it. You don’t want to have any regrets about cutting corners when you’re traveling at 180 mph+.

TJMJR
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
I remember when this car was for sale and I was going back and forth with my dad to see if he wanted to do a cross country trip to go get it (I was in South Carolina at the time). I believe that was 2009 when you bought it, correct? It makes me very happy to see that it ended up with such a loving owner. The work you've done looks impeccable and I hope that you will continue to share the pictures and stories with us and most importantly, the driving impressions! What a beaut!
ECTurboGSX,

I did purchase the vehicle in 2009. It was an exhaustive process with all of the inspections, dyno, shipping, etc. It’s been even more exhausting getting it to where it’s at today, but it’s been worth it in my opinion. I pulled the car out today for a ride around the block and it still makes me chuckle when I hit the gas . . . just like it did the day it arrived. It’s an absolute BEAST of a W202.

TJMJR
ECTurboGSX (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Originally Posted by Sincity
Great to see that such great care has gone into this car.
Thank you!

TJMJR
Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
I dig this. Did you do the long running trim piece up near the windshield as well? Some Brabus door pins would match up nicely with that shifter knob.
eFifty5AMG,

Thank you! I like the brushed steel trim, especially given the silver exterior and interior. I did have the trim along the windshield wrapped in 3M. I also have the BRUBUS door pins, but I just noticed in the photo that I haven't installed them yet.

TJMJR
Old 05-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 KOMPRESSOR W202
WOW

Hi

Would love to know if you still have this car ... C58 BRABUS

And

If you would consider selling it ... please reach out to me on bohkltd@gmail.com

Thank you
Old 05-25-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Red 1995 C36
Ill second this^^^^^^
Old 07-20-2020, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Wagon K& Brabus
Just wondering if you still have this car? I'm very interested in getting more INFO about it, I'm VERY interested in the W202 chassis and this car particularly stands out,

Thanks
Nat
Old 07-20-2020, 04:59 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8
Gentlemen,

I appreciate your interest and I wanted to let you know that I still own the 1998 BRABUS C5.8.

All the best,

TJMJR
DKB_AMG (10-21-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 05:43 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Awesome car mate
Old 09-08-2020, 12:21 PM

1998 BRABUS C 5.8