C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C36 4-speed Neutral Safety Switch Whereabouts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
C36 4-speed Neutral Safety Switch Whereabouts?

Hey guys, I know this is a fairly common issue but the search turned up nothing. Can anyone point me into the right direction as to where it is? Some indys have told me that I will need to drop the transmission a bit just to get access to it? I'm hoping I can get at it through the shifter (most likely not). I'll see if I can find anything on some 500E forums due to the similar tranny, but thank you for any help in the meantime.

.....mind as well put new shifter bushings in once I figure out where this thing is.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
It is mounted on the driver's side of the transmission, co-axially with the shift shaft that penetrates the case.

Make sure the connector isn't full of moisture or the wiring harness damaged.

It can be accessed with a 1/4" drive set - removing the transmission mount and letting the rear of the transmission drop a bit helps some.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by vinceC
It is mounted on the driver's side of the transmission, co-axially with the shift shaft that penetrates the case.

Make sure the connector isn't full of moisture or the wiring harness damaged.

It can be accessed with a 1/4" drive set - removing the transmission mount and letting the rear of the transmission drop a bit helps some.
Wonderful post Vince, thank you! I will have to take a peek at it and see if it is repairable with some contact cleaner before I bite the bullet and order a new switch. I was not aware that the substandard electrical wire insulation also effects all of the other wiring, I have a new engine wiring harness, however, should I still be weary around all the other electrical connectors as well?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
On my 1995 C280 the small harness that goes to the neutral safety switch had the same deterioration as the engine harness. I haven't seen the problem with other wiring. I made the replacement transmission harness for mine - it is only six wires.