C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

eis ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s/c 99 c43 amg
eis ???

so everytime winter comes around my key wont turn in my ignition, i called the dealer yesterday and my buddy told me one of the techs said its my key that might be bad, i dont have a spare so i cant check, i think it might be the eis, i dont know if i should trust his judgement and get a new key or get the eis replaced. any sugestions, it only does this when its cold.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
You should have a spare anyways start with a key...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM

s/c 99 c43 amg
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
You should have a spare anyways start with a key...
Yea thats what im thinking as well, i hope its not the eis. What are the chances that it is my key? It is the original key, and sometimes it wont lock or unlock the car, and i just changed the batterys .
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by e30t387
Yea thats what im thinking as well, i hope its not the eis. What are the chances that it is my key? It is the original key, and sometimes it wont lock or unlock the car, and i just changed the batterys .
I would think it would more likely be the key since it uses a different signal to open the door than to turn the car on, but without proper diagnosis you can't be sure. Goodluck
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Originally Posted by e30t387
one of the techs said its my key that might be bad.
Note the word "might".

For starters, you should always have a second key, you can get stuck very easily without one and it makes it MUCH more difficult to diagnose EIS/key/central locking issues without 2 keys.

You said that it happens when it's cold. Does it happen when the car is left outside or in a warm garage? Do you hear the steering lock disengage when you insert the key? sometime the steering lock motor gets a little stiff in cold weather. They aren't servicable but "excercising it" (repeated inserting and removing of the key for a few mins) does make a noticable difference to it's operation if it's sticking/slow.

Get yourself a second key and keep it with you, when it faults then you have a second key to try to be able to eliminate the key as a problem.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

s/c 99 c43 amg
Originally Posted by Ausmbtech
Note the word "might".

For starters, you should always have a second key, you can get stuck very easily without one and it makes it MUCH more difficult to diagnose EIS/key/central locking issues without 2 keys.

You said that it happens when it's cold. Does it happen when the car is left outside or in a warm garage? Do you hear the steering lock disengage when you insert the key? sometime the steering lock motor gets a little stiff in cold weather. They aren't servicable but "excercising it" (repeated inserting and removing of the key for a few mins) does make a noticable difference to it's operation if it's sticking/slow.

Get yourself a second key and keep it with you, when it faults then you have a second key to try to be able to eliminate the key as a problem.
I got my new key in today i picked it up on my lunch break , i ran home and tryed it it , it worked fine so i guess it was my key, when i inserted the old key the pin didnt lock or unlock so i couldnt turn the key, with the new key as soon as i put it in it unlocks right away, so im glad it was a 100 dollar fix and not the eis. The up part is that i have a nice new style key, but i think me and my c43 are going to part ways, i might be looking into a e55 or a new sti.