C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

How many miles are on your C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Go for 100% OEM. Less headache in the long run, trust me. If you want to mod it, do it yourself.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Originally Posted by appatula
During the three months I was looking for a AMG W202 I saw four C43's under 7k. I do not think those prices are fair considering what is out there and for how much. I'm not making things up......

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1559649040.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/1565865295.html

http://delaware.craigslist.org/cto/1558830280.html (despite the huge dent)

......and this was within five minutes There are deals out there for much less than you are willing to pay. However, I do get a kick out of how many C43's that are up that have bad transmissions. Makes you wonder, even if you do get a new transmission when is it going to leave you stranded?
A New Hampshire car sitting in the snow is not even remotely comparable to a southern California car and two of the three look pretty rough. One is at the 7k basement I noted and has a baseball size dent in it and the other two look like quick dump offs for high mileage snow cars.

Last edited by ECTurboGSX; 01-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
A New Hampshire car sitting in the snow is not even remotely comparable to a southern California car and two of the three look pretty rough. One is at the 7k basement I noted and has a baseball size dent in it and the other two look like quick dump offs for high mileage snow cars.
Hey, just trying to show some folks out there that deals are avaliable. My C36 was a northeastern garaged example, not perfect but I got a hell of a deal. I personally find it a lot harder to judge a snow car from non snow car from craigslist photos than you do. Maybe they are maybe they are not. High mileage, yes, good point, however as a C43 owner I see how you would be concerned about that . Anyhow, I must say that the socal climate is much more forgiving than New England, maybe the higher prices are justified in that retrospect.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK IV .:R32
K so....I like the back color better, but the white car is probably the better bet (and I thinkk I can get him down to like $7.5-8K)

so......White C43 or.....

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/1572625166.html
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 C43, 15 Alfa 4C LE, 18 Tesla Model 3 DM Perf, 08 Duc S1000, 02 Duc 998, 98 Duc 748, 01 Miata
Hey, just trying to show some folks out there that deals are avaliable.
I would agree, there are deals out there. But it is also important to note that a deal is judged by the whole picture. Those cars have that price for a reason. If you're lucky, that reason is the owner just wants to get rid of the car as quickly as possible. If you aren't so lucky, it could be much more costly in the end. It is also important to note that a deal does not directly indicate the market. While there are $5k C43's out there, I would say that anything $7k to $10k is more indicative of the current market. I have no intention of selling mine, so the market value doesn't really matter to me except that I wish I would have waited a little bit longer before I bought mine. Good luck to the OP on your search. I really enjoy mine and I think you will too.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by ECTurboGSX
I would agree, there are deals out there. But it is also important to note that a deal is judged by the whole picture. Those cars have that price for a reason. If you're lucky, that reason is the owner just wants to get rid of the car as quickly as possible. If you aren't so lucky, it could be much more costly in the end. It is also important to note that a deal does not directly indicate the market. While there are $5k C43's out there, I would say that anything $7k to $10k is more indicative of the current market. I have no intention of selling mine, so the market value doesn't really matter to me except that I wish I would have waited a little bit longer before I bought mine. Good luck to the OP on your search. I really enjoy mine and I think you will too.

Very true! I'm the type who will wait until that once a year killer deal pops up and nab it. Very patient when it comes to spending my money to I tend to think everyone else should be the same way. Although the first misconception was the huge price gap when it comes to location. Looks to me like you have a very nice example and anyway you look at this situation these cars are seriously undervalued, I repeat SERIOUSLY undervalued considering the build quality, history, and rarity factor.

My best advice to the OP is to just go out and test drive a few to establish a good baseline of "feel" then make the plunge. No matter how much advice you get in the forums it should be YOU who convinces yourself that "This is the one...." as you will be in the drivers seat. Just be weary of the potential transmission gremlins.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM

C36 AMG
anyway you look at this situation these cars are seriously undervalued, I repeat SERIOUSLY undervalued considering the build quality, history, and rarity factor.
I totally agree. Seriously, I would have easily paid more for mine if that were the case aswell simply because they are worth much MORE then the market values them at now!
Do you think I would pay $20,000 for a small Toyota go kart with no power windows a small *** engine and cheap materials that you see on every corner of the street?? HELL NO. The Market value for some cars is just plain wrong. ((Even though mine's a keeper! But still...))

Last edited by BenzMaster19; 01-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by BenzMaster19
I totally agree. Seriously, I would have easily paid more for mine if that were the case aswell simply because they are worth much MORE then the market values them at now!
Do you think I would pay $20,000 for a small Toyota go kart with no power windows a small *** engine and cheap materials that you see on every corner of the street?? HELL NO. The Market value for some cars is just plain wrong. ((Even though mine's a keeper! But still...))
Makes me sick when I see tons of these old generic muscle cars going for 40K USD because of who owned the car previously ect, people are sheep. Some I can understand, but names do nothing for me it's the car. A RARE car that represents a wonderful story with rich history to me is worth the money. Tucker would be a good example.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 AM

Do you think I'll be fine b/c that one has a new tranny?

that's really that only thing holding me off now.......
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Dude, I'm not trying to be a jerk but your flooding every forum with the same exact questions over and over. We told you what to look out for whether it be a C43 or a C36 it is up to YOU to decide what car you are going to buy. Non of the people on the various forums your trolling will be test driving these cars, YOU WILL BE. I think everyone here has given you great advice on current market value, common pitfalls to look out for, its your move now bro. You're posting links every day asking for the same advice its annoying at this point. Go out and drive them, more importantly drive a few of them. Then come back and ask us about anything you feel concerned about after you drive them. Other than that you are just repeating the same questions over and over, wasting everyone's time, and getting the same answers. Just use your noggin, we're not here to hold your hand....rather help you make an educated decision on your own. Again, I'm not trying to be a a$$hole so don't take this post the wrong way, I'm hoping one of the ones you test drive feels tight, has maintenance records and the tranny is shifting smooth or is new. Good luck, let us know how the test drives go!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

^ loooooooooool

ya I kinda know......I wanna be sure. I'm buying an old car, I'm kinda sketched out....but I still want it

I just want to be sure.....cuz if I get it, and it dies in a year I'll be soooooo fu*ked

I've looked at problems and stuff.....and it's come down to 1 thing

People who have replaced their transmissions.......how often do you service it and flush the fluid? I haven't heard of somebody having to replace it twice.....so that's a good sign I guess.....
Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by shivi1345
^ loooooooooool

ya I kinda know......I wanna be sure. I'm buying an old car, I'm kinda sketched out....but I still want it

I just want to be sure.....cuz if I get it, and it dies in a year I'll be soooooo fu*ked

I've looked at problems and stuff.....and it's come down to 1 thing

People who have replaced their transmissions.......how often do you service it and flush the fluid? I haven't heard of somebody having to replace it twice.....so that's a good sign I guess.....

I know your worried about buying an old car. Blieve me if I was in your shoes I would be worried as hell on what I am getting. If you are worried about an older AMG. You could always go with a C55 or C32 AMG for something newer? I know 4 people with C43,C36. My one friend has had great luck with his. My other friend with a 99C43....Welll... Lets just say that the motor should be taken out and saved and the rest of the car crushed. A few local buddies of mine have them as well. Main issue they al say is the transmission being replaced. Why? I dont know but when I had my W202 C280 The trans was slipping at 90k when I sold it.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM

C36 AMG
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
I know your worried about buying an old car. Blieve me if I was in your shoes I would be worried as hell on what I am getting. If you are worried about an older AMG. You could always go with a C55 or C32 AMG for something newer? I know 4 people with C43,C36. My one friend has had great luck with his. My other friend with a 99C43....Welll... Lets just say that the motor should be taken out and saved and the rest of the car crushed. A few local buddies of mine have them as well. Main issue they al say is the transmission being replaced. Why? I dont know but when I had my W202 C280 The trans was slipping at 90k when I sold it.
Umm If your worried about problems, I wouldn't really be considering the C32 AMG... Your going backwards there lol
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
cars dont "die", owners maintenance on them does.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Yeah.....Mercedes are a "Pay to play" vehicle. Even more so If your considering an AMG. So you are willing to spend 10k on a C43 yet you will be fu&cked if you end up having to spend 2k on a tranny job? I think you need to reconsider the financial aspect of a buy like this on your end. I understand you want to be cautious and reduce the risk of a tranny problem but either way cars are cars and they will randomly throw expensive problems at you usually when you least expect them to. On top of that, the problems an AMG can throw at you are usually even more expensive. I would think about saving up a bit more cash before you take this plunge as you seem to be in a gamble right now.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Umm If your worried about problems, I wouldn't really be considering the C32 AMG... Your going backwards there lol
Going backwards? Drugs are not good. No see the C32 is a newer car. Its newer then the C43 or the C36. My point was simply if you are worried about buying an older car then buy a newer one..
Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM

C36 AMG
Going backwards? Drugs are not good. No see the C32 is a newer car. Its newer then the C43 or the C36. My point was simply if you are worried about buying an older car then buy a newer one..
Oh the C32 AMG is a newer car!? I never knew that! LMFAOOO
Obviously it's newer! BUT that DOES NOT mean it's better. The 202 AMG's will always be more reliable then the C32 AMG hands down.
Just look for a "properly maintained" 202 AMG and your good too go.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Oh the C32 AMG is a newer car!? I never knew that! LMFAOOO
Obviously it's newer! BUT that DOES NOT mean it's better. The 202 AMG's will always be more reliable then the C32 AMG hands down.
Just look for a "properly maintained" 202 AMG and your good too go.

No kidding the C32 is a newer car. I have owned Mercedes since 1980. I know it is a newer car. That was my whole point. No one said anything about one being better then another. I was talking about buying an older car and said if it worries you then buy a newer car.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 PM

C36 AMG
No kidding the C32 is a newer car. I have owned Mercedes since 1980. I know it is a newer car. That was my whole point. No one said anything about one being better then another. I was talking about buying an older car and said if it worries you then buy a newer car.
Just because it's a bit "newer" it doesn't mean it won't cause you problems!... I got a '96 C36 AMG and it probably had NO WHERE near the problems most C32 AMG's have had (especially from what I've heard on these forums about them!)
Now a C55 AMG is a different story.
But like I said, if you can find a well maintained 202 AMG, your Grooving!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Just because it's a bit "newer" it doesn't mean it won't cause you problems!... !

Yes I do understand that. I got a 1987 420SEL that is less issues then most new Toyotas, GM or Fords on the road and has 2x the toys. My point was just simply that he was concered about buying an older car. So I suggested he buy somthing newer. A low miles C55 can be had for an small price of around $15,000
Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 PM

1999 AMG C43
99 C43 from Florida now in CA

I have 128k on the clock and yes I did have to replace the tranny at 120k, there is no repairing it, after 50k miles the rear bearing just explodes! 4 lbs of metal was in the pan. Other than that, it is one of my favorite cars, great sleeper.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
C280 Sport,

Do you even own an AMG? Or are you just talking from second hand experince.......
Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
C280 Sport,

Do you even own an AMG? Or are you just talking from second hand experince.......

I have owned Mercedes since 1980. And to what comment may I ask are you referring to? Nothing second hand from my experince.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 AM

C32, 911 SC
C32's main problems are mostly the earlier Valeo radiators causing glycol contamination on the transmission box ($$$ if new tranny's needed, cheap if not), IC pumps (cheap fix), seat modules draining the battery (cheap fix). If you get those taken care off, you should be good for a while!

Test drove C43 before and was not impressed by it at all, it certainly has beautiful lines though. C36 would be a different animal (have yet to drive one), but there is just something about a high-output NA Inline 6 that intrigues me. But then again the C32 is newer, faster, more comfortable, and easier to mod.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have all of these concerns about owning a C43, I would say that you are not ready yet to own one. If the reliability scares you, get a second car. I drive a boring Honda daily and the Mercedes waits for the evenings and weekends. But you really need to love a car like this so that you don't get frustrated every time an issue pops up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many miles are on your C43?