C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

Car Won't Start, Just Clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
W210 DRFT BNZ
Car Won't Start, Just Clicking

Compulsive clicking coming from dashboard. Car will not start. Turns over but no spark.

This happened after I removed and reinstalled the ECU. I just checked all connections.

The top security lights on the mirror are like police flashers, the car knows something is wrong. Any pointers?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
does the car have any sort of alarm system?

Also another thing that I worry about is the possibility that you have not replaced your wiring harness, by removing the ECU the wires have now self destructed and shorted. Have you or the PO replaced the wiring harness recently?

Just for kicks after everything is plugged in and ready to go, pull the terminals off of the battery and let it sit and try it again.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 PM

W210 DRFT BNZ
Nah, the PO did the engine harness.

Not sure what it was. Needed a LOT of battery juice. Have a yellow check engine light but runs. Will clear the code tomorrow at AutoZone.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Yeah I skipped over the most obvious possibility, a battery that is low can cause all kinds of problems. Also how does the car run? A failed MAF can cause all kinds of nasty starting problems but will aso cause the car to run horribly in gear.

I have a decent code reader that can read codes, freeze frames, and clear codes/CEL as well. Got it from walmart for about $100 bucks, it was the best $100 bucks I have ever spent. I'm also really close to you, I have a good friend at UHart so if I do end up going up anytime soon I'll give you a heads up.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM

W210 DRFT BNZ
Originally Posted by appatula
Yeah I skipped over the most obvious possibility, a battery that is low can cause all kinds of problems. Also how does the car run? A failed MAF can cause all kinds of nasty starting problems but will aso cause the car to run horribly in gear.

I have a decent code reader that can read codes, freeze frames, and clear codes/CEL as well. Got it from walmart for about $100 bucks, it was the best $100 bucks I have ever spent. I'm also really close to you, I have a good friend at UHart so if I do end up going up anytime soon I'll give you a heads up.
Appreciated!